• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylene Blue -- The "Perfect Supplement" For ME/CFS (?)

Wayne

I'm interested in trying this, but of course it has the dumb side effect of permanently staining toilets. I have a job so I'm often going in business bathrooms. I can't be going around coloring their porcelain.
Hi @forestglip -- Small amounts of MB (which is what I recommend for maintenance purposes) shouldn't cause a problem with staining. I posted a testimonial on the first page of this thread where one guy said 3 drops a day prevented him from getting recurring UTIs. So there's benefit to be had even at doses that aren't high enough to cause staining.

Wayne

That company looks kinda sketchy to me. For one thing their website makes outrageous, unscientific claims about what MB can do. There's zero evidence that it prevents aging.

The below is from their website. Seems pretty benign to me; wouldn't exactly call it making outrageous, unscientific claims.

Defies Aging​

MB helps to slow aging by enhancing mitochondrial function and energy production. Its antioxidant properties help to protect cells from oxidative damage, which is a contributing factor to age-related degeneration.​

Carl

[EDIT on February 27, 2024 - THIS MB Product is what I'm currently using and recommending.]
................................................................................................................................................................................

I read a fairly extensive (and excellent) ARTICLE back in February on Methylene Blue (MB)......

4) Powerful anti-fungal -- It's used in fish tanks to control fungal growth, and it's what gives aquarium's their familiar blue color. It made me think of how many of us have some level of candida overgrowth, or some other opportunistic fungal infection(s). It seems these kinds of infections are often factors in digestive disorders many of us have, like SIBO, IBS, or something that doesn't even have a name yet. After taking MB for a few weeks, I've come to believe it likely knocked out a low-grade fungal infection in my sinuses.

5) MB apparently has some potent anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. It appears from THIS STUDY that it prevented 2,500 people in France being treated for cancer with MB from ever getting COVID. BTW, MB is also being used by various health care practitioners to treat Lyme, Bartonella, and other co-infections.
If anyone gives this a try then you can write off yet another antimicrobials on top of all the other antimicrobials made totally ineffective against the pathogens that cause ME/Fibro. You could be digging yourself into a hole that you may never get out of! I can 100% guarantee that biofilm protected pathogens WILL adapt to ANY antimicrobial if their biofilm is untreated/unremoved when you take ANY antimicrobial.

Short term gain for long term pain seems appropriate IMO.

Strawberry

Timing question for those that are on MB. I’ve only had one drop, yesterday morning. Last night, I felt energized, even after taking the garbage out to the curb. But my sleep was ragged because my legs were vibrating. I didn’t notice energy in the daytime, but I didn’t expect to on day one either. Should I be taking this at night? Or is morning better timing wise, and poor sleep last night was a fluke?

Wayne

Should I be taking this at night? Or is morning better timing wise, and poor sleep last night was a fluke?

Hi @Strawberry -- I doubt that your disrupted sleep was a fluke, and likely the result of the "energizing" MB. It can do that, and for those of us with sensitive systems, only a very small amount is all it takes. That's why when I start literally anything new, I make sure to take it in the morning, in case it has the potential to disrupt my sleep. I think the fact you felt energized is a good sign. Perhaps cut back to a fraction of a drop and see what happens. Good luck finding the dosage that turns out to be the "sweet spot". :)

Mary

Moderator Resource
So how long does it take to kick in with everyone? Is 12 hours normal? I’m at the end of my rope.

I don't think there's one right answer for everyone. When I first took it (2 drops, one in the a.m. and one in the afternoon) it made me extra tired and I slept better. The extra fatigue and sleeping better lasted a couple of days and then suddenly I started getting extra energy AND sleeping worse. I cut back to 1.5 drops and was awake all night. So I stopped the MB altogether.

I plan to try it again, this time maybe 1/2 of a drop since I seem to be ultra sensitive to it. And as with anything that causes insomnia, I plan to take it in the morning.

I do see your point - if it takes 12 hours to kick in, one would think it was best to take it at night, but I'm not brave enough to give that a try!

Methylene Blue helps me. 3 times 10 drops per day (= 15mg) is the minimal dose for me to be noticeable. 2 times 10 drops per day was not noticeable. I have just started experimenting today with a single dose of 15 mg= 30 drops per day (increasing it eventually). You guys are way too careful with the dose. I have been taking it since January daily. https://poiscenter.com/forums/index.php?topic=1551.0
Try CTZL powder. I read about it on Healthrising.org. My order is enroute.
That's where I bought it too.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
You guys are way too careful with the dose.
People with ME have to be because there is too much of a chance of causing a major set back, even a permanent one.

Not everyone responds to these things the same. We see that all over this forum. So low and slow is always the best way to trial things. If no negative reactions then increasing slowly would indeed be a possibility.