• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2500 patients in France taking methylene blue as part of cancer therapy remain COVID-19-free

Hip

A new study found that 2500 patients in France taking methylene blue at a dose of 75 mg three times daily as a cancer therapy had no reported cases of coronavirus, when they were interviewed on 27 March 2020.

In France on 27 March there were 1995 deaths from coronavirus so far (see here). By the Tomas Pueyo's formula, that means the number infected in France on that date would be 1.6 million people, which equates to 1 in 42 being infected at that time.

That means in 2500 people, you would expect to find 2500 / 42 = 59 people infected. Around half those infected with coronavirus show symptoms, so you would expect 59 / 2 = 30 cases of COVID-19 in this group of 2500 people.

But it was reported that none of these 2500 people showed any symptomatic signs of COVID-19.

This suggests methylene blue at the dose used may have effective antiviral effects against coronavirus.

Methylene blue is a stain used in microscopy. The anti-malaria drug chloroquine is a derivative of methylene blue; though methylene blue is actually less toxic than chloroquine.

Chloroquine is of course the drug which has been shown in vitro to be antiviral for coronavirus.

Last edited:

Hip

do we know why they were taking methylene blue ?

It was part of their cancer therapy, but I am not sure of the exact reason why they were given methylene blue.

This paper talks about methylene blue photodynamic therapy for cancer (when activated by light, methylene blue generates singlet oxygen, which is toxic to cancer cells). Though I don't think these patients were receiving methylene blue photodynamic therapy.

junkcrap50

I remember seeing methylene blue neing speculated as a potential COVID treatment, but can't remember where or why. Maybe it was on here but in another thread.

sb4

I notice beneficial mental effects from MB but also my sensitivity to light increased significantly. Perhaps this is due to mono amine oxidase inhibition but I am not sure. This was at a dose of around 1mg per day taken in the morning.

75 three times per day is pretty high although I think the US army uses a similar dosage to prevent malaria or something similar. I am not sure for how long they use this dose. Might try MB again whilst corona is a thing. Perhaps taking MB with Lithium or progesterone might stop this effect?

Rebeccare

Moose Enthusiast
One confounding factor, though, is that cancer patients probably were much more cautious about social distancing than people in the general population, and may have taken steps to socially distance sooner. But the fact that not one of them got it sick hopeful! I wonder if this group has continued to be tracked as the numbers peak.

pattismith

@Hip
I suspect I could have had some very mild case of covid about a month ago.
Among the supplement I am taking is alpha lipoic acid 600 mg x 3 per day, and I can see it is part of the treatment of these patients….

"Europe has been recently been hit by an epidemic of COVID-19. We report a cohort of patients treated for cancer in France. This cohort is managed by an association (Espoir Metabolique) and is a cancer support group. There are 2500 patients all at high risk for sepsis because of concomitant chemotherapy. One of us has interviewed (by telephone and by e mail) these patients to register the cases of COVID-19. As of March 27th, 2020, there were no cases of registered COVID-19 or of flu–like syndroms. These patients were treated by a combination of standard therapy and α-lipoic acid (800 mg twice a day), hydroxycitrate (500 mg three times a day) and methylene blue (75 mg three times a day) as well as a low carb diet."

roller

wiggle jiggle
This suggests methylene blue at the dose used may have effective antiviral effects against coronavirus.
The anti-malaria drug chloroquine is a derivative of methylene blue;

...we all do catch the virus, but only a few have symptoms/problems from it... more or less severe...

the "angiotensin" enzymes ACE or ACE2 (?) are implicated in the disease.

then - angiotensin blockers or inhibitors would help to contain disease severity... ?
could this explain why methylene blue / chloroquine / harmala do help ?

Last edited:

roller

wiggle jiggle
... and if some enzyme(s) are major culprits in disease progress... then outside temperatures / body temperature may contribute as well...

the virus itself doesnt seem much temperature dependent, contrary to initial assumptions.
but at least a few enzymes in humans are...

Last edited:

Wayne

Any updates on MB and this virus?

Thomas Levy, M.D. just published a lengthy 8-page article on methylene blue at Orthomolecular Medicine, which I think has potential implications for ME/CFS. It is quite long (and dry), and has voluminous references at the end. But I found it so intriguing, I just purchased a 100 ml. (3.5 oz) bottle of it at Amazon for $26.50, and anticipate starting it next week when it arrives.

Resolving Colds to Advanced COVID with Methylene Blue

Reading this prompted me to do some research on MB, and I came across some interesting references, many of which I feel could easily connect to ME/CFS, such as:

1) MB supports apoptosis (cell death) in cancer cells
2) MB is highly supportive of mitochondrial function
3) Cancer is largely (or primarily) a mitochondrial disease
4) MB supports ATP production
5) MB is similar in structure to Vit. C, and is a powerful antioxidant
6) MB easily crosses the blood brain barrier, and has been helpful for all kinds of brain disorders
7) MB was first discovered (or formulated) in 1876, and is purported to be the first pharmaceutical drug
8) MB is helpful for a broad array of neurological disorders
9) MB is a broad ranging anti-fungal medication
10) There are indications Parkinson's Disease is caused by fungal infections
11) Parkinson's Disease is being diagnosed at a faster rate than Alzheimer's
12) Dosages of MB are fairly low, and highly individualized. Taking more than a minimal maintenance dose normally doesn't increase efficacy.

The woman in the following 9-min. video claims MB gave her so much more energy, she would only take it in the morning, otherwise it could affect her sleep.

Jane's Tip - Why Supplement with Methylene Blue and How to Mix It

The guy in the following 12-min. video gives a nice synopsis on MB

METHYLENE BLUE I The Common Sense MD | Dr. Tom Rogers

This 4-min. video talks about using MB to treat Lyme

Lyme, Bartonella, and Methylene Blue

Last edited:

Wayne

Excerpt from above linked article on how the term "magic bullet" was derived from the efficacy of MB:

... In 1891 it [MB] was found to be very effective as an anti-malarial agent by Paul Ehrlich. Of note, Ehrlich first coined the term "magic bullet" to refer to how effectively MB targeted and accessed the nervous system. [5] It has since been established to have a selective affinity for the nervous system, although it is highly effective in reaching all cells in the body.​
As a powerful antioxidant with the ability to target the brain, MB was used as an antipsychotic drug for 50 years before phenothiazine became the first "official" antipsychotic drug. [6]...​

GhostGum

Interesting the photodynamic therapy aspect here, have been using a couple of near infrared/red light therapy devices now for a few months and find it quite helpful, helps with sleep, inflammation and generally more level energy levels, would be curious to combine it with MB.

Wonder if near infrared/red light therapy has been covered on this forum? Given the anti-inflammatory, ATP/mitochondrial and sleep benefits seems it is a no brainer for ME/CFS, I see nothing but beneficial reviews all over YT and some pretty amazing results. Combining it with other mitochondrial hacks is pretty interesting territory I think.

Wayne

The following article Methylene Blue: Benefits, Dosing, Where To Buy, And More! says MB can increase seratonin and dopamine levels.

How Methylene Blue Works In The Brain
Methylene blue works in the brain by crossing the blood-brain barrier. Once it’s in the brain, it can reversibly inhibit MAO-A. This means that methylene blue can prevent dopamine and serotonin from breaking down, leading to increased levels of these neurotransmitters.1​
Dopamine and serotonin are essential for cognitive function since they play primary roles in memory, focus, learning, mood, and many other aspects of brain health. By increasing levels of these neurotransmitters, methylene blue can provide significant benefits to cognitive performance and overall well-being.​
In the body, Methylene Blue can help you when there is a problem with how the body’s cells use energy. When the body does not work right, it can’t make enough ATP, which might cause issues like too many free radicals. But methylene blue helps the cells use energy more efficiently and lowers free-radical production.​

GhostGum

@Wayne can this not also lead to problems though as well? Having excess neurotransmitters and not breaking them down is not necessarily a good thing. I already have met/met MAO-A and COMT so already have slow break down of dopamine and serotonin which likely leads to issues rather than benefits. MAO-A inhibition also seem more common in ME/CFS people, so I wonder MB is even suitable for some people? Could it even lead to serotonin syndrome for others as well?

Wayne

@Wayne can this not also lead to problems though as well? Having excess neurotransmitters and not breaking them down is not necessarily a good thing. I already have met/met MAO-A and COMT so already have slow break down of dopamine and serotonin which likely leads to issues rather than benefits. MAO-A inhibition also seem more common in ME/CFS people, so I wonder MB is even suitable for some people? Could it even lead to serotonin syndrome for others as well?

Hi @GhostGum -- Thanks for your important comments. Some of the literature I've run across mentions the vigilance necessary to prevent getting seratonin and dopamine levels too high. They usually refer to people who are taking SSRIs and perhaps l-dopa.

But they've not mentioned people such as yourself, who already are dealing with the slow breakdown of dopamine and seratonin. I'd never really heard of this, but am happy to hear about it from you. Since I started taking methylene blue, I have been "on the outlook" for any possible symptoms of seratonin and dopamine levels that are too high. Could you by any chance share what your symptoms have been? -- Thanks again for your insights.

GhostGum

Hi @GhostGum -- Thanks for your important comments. Some of the literature I've run across mentions the vigilance necessary to prevent getting seratonin and dopamine levels too high. They usually refer to people who are taking SSRIs and perhaps l-dopa.

But they've not mentioned people such as yourself, who already are dealing with the slow breakdown of dopamine and seratonin. I'd never really heard of this, but am happy to hear about it from you. Since I started taking methylene blue, I have been "on the outlook" for any possible symptoms of seratonin and dopamine levels that are too high. Could you by any chance share what your symptoms have been? -- Thanks again for your insights.

Hi Wayne, not sure I can answer this definitively, I have also been trying to treat these methylation pathways for years and have never quite been able to understand the difference between ourselves, lived experienced and the chemistry. For example excess dopamine is probably linked to schizophrenia but then there is no definitive genetic links with schizophrenia I believe. And having both a downregulated MAO-A and COMT gene its potentially issues with breaking down both dopamine and serotonin, then which one is causing which symptoms you know? How much has it played a role in my ME?

My understanding is though it is far more common for people with ME to have a homozygous MAO-A? It is why people with ME may need to be a little cautious with MB. Homozygous COMT is the slower break down of serotonin which will leave some more prone to serotonin syndrome, which I have probably had in the past, being on an SSRI and benzodiazepine addiction 20 years ago, from memory it is just the most horrible anxiety and restlessness you can imagine, people can end up in the ER from it and of course it is then treated as a further mental health problem. I think you can find content about this on YT, watched some stuff sometime ago and stories in the comments and such.

Too high of dopamine tends to lead to a bit of mania I think, delusions of grandeur, unrealistic goals maybe, over active thinking and insomnia, bit like what amphetamines can do.

All going to depend on the person of course, some people can probably thrive off of excess dopamine and serotonin if they are grounded and have a healthy lifestyle, something I am still struggling with quite a bit.