• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Methylation and Vitamin D Deficiency

gracee41

As I've noted in previous posts, my integrative doc prescribed methylated b complex transdermal cream last month. After a few days of use, I had terrible side effects. After posting here, was told that because of ratios in the cream, I might be experiencing methyl trapping. I stopped the cream the last week of Oct. I feel much better but have had shortness of breath since.

My Vitamin D levels showed to be low normal (45) in September. My potassium level was 4.4 last week. I have only found one older post by Fredd that mentioned methylation start-up can cause Vitamin D to tank. Have not been able to find that anywhere else I've searched online. I know it can cause potassium to fall.

I've started supplementing with Vitamin D3 10,000iu's daily and there is a definite correlation. I'm also taking 1000mcg's of Hydroxy B12 daily. I know B12 deficiency can also cause shortness of breath even though my B12 levels showed to be normal (464). The tightness in my lungs has definitely eased but is still there. I want to add Dibencozide soon but am trying to get my breathing normalized before I do.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced Vitamin D levels falling with methylation start-up? Too, do you think I would benefit from a little potassium supplementation?

SJB944

I personally have found that tightness in my lungs is potassium related -- along with shortnesss in the breath and weakness in arms.

I am low normal Vit D, but when I take vitamin D seems to completely throw out my methylfolate and potassium levels, pretty much removing much of the benefit I've received from following Fred's protocol. This could be because it starts healing, and thus I suddenly require larger levels of potassium and methylfolate -- not quite sure, can't work it out as yet.

Also I was able to tolerate vitamin D prior to starting methylation.

gracee41

Thank you. I actually decided to take a 99mg potassium capsule as well and low and behold, my lungs opened up. However, yesterday I needed two capsules. I've taken two capsules already today and feel like I need another. Lungs are still tight. I'm a little anxious to take too much potassium. As I mentioned in my post, my potassium level was 4.4 last week. Do you think it's safe for me to take another capsule? I know a lot of folks are on quite a bit of potassium.

gracee41

I was using transdermal mag oil at night but had to stop. For whatever reason, my heart would start palpitating quickly after using it and I couldn't sleep because of it. Maybe it was because I was low on potassium. Could that possibly be the cause?

gracee41

I may need to try the oxide and see if that has the same effect. I am extremely sensitive to oral supplementation so have to be careful. I've tried many forms of cal-mag and could not tolerate.

Gondwanaland

The forms I don't tolerate are Mg glycinate (apparently well tolerated by most people), citrate, aspartate and sulfate (Epsom Salts). I haven't tried other forms. At first I thought I didn't tolerate magnesium per se, but I finally found out that the other part of the molecules that were the problem.

gracee41

That's interesting. I will get some oxide tomorrow and see how I feel. If that doesn't work, then I will try the glycinate which I've also read is tolerated by many folks. I know it's trial and error with everyone.