• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Me/cfs and metabolism,gut

EddieB

When I came off the phone I felt quite elated.
Very good. It is so disappointing when the medical professionals won’t even listen to what you’re saying.

I have a new primary doctor, who admits she doesn’t know what’s causing my illness, but is determined to help figure it out. It certainly gives hope.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

like parasites or candida

I know so many people over a very long course of time who swear they have candida and: I'm entirely suspicious of this whole ditty.

If somebody feels they have actual proof of such a thing as candida, I'd be fascinated. And that going on the defeed the Candida- has ever really helped anyone.

See: White Tongue Coating PR thread- where I"ve discussed there is likely NOT yeast causing white tongue coating. Its "dampness". Thrush is: yeast in the mouth.

Is there actually a diagnosis wherein Candida is observed in the gut and treated? Due to my short attention span, efforts to investigate this typically lead me to-I think it doesn;t exist, really. Its only discussed medically as: yeast can invade an artifcial organ.

EddieB

Is there actually a diagnosis wherein Candida is observed in the gut and treated?
Yes, there can be. It can colonize just about anywhere. It can also be systematic.

I was going to a clinic a couple year ago for vit C IV’s (another big waste of time and money). I met a guy there that had candida throughout his body. He was recovering, but had quite a story.

So it can be a real problem, but it’s pretty rare. The holistic scammers of the world have exploited the heck out of it, to the point that no medical professional will take it seriously.

I myself have been suspicious of having an overgrowth of it. I just did a culture stool test that was negative.
The symptoms can mimic those of sibo, which is more likely what’s going on.

Rufous McKinney

Rufous McKinney

Yes, there can be. It can colonize just about anywhere. It can also be systematic.

It seems like the research papers I"m finding on this topic- seem to consistently refer to hospitalized patients.

Weird, as I'm not yet understanding what- they mean.

but yes it can get into all kinds of body parts and bloodstream. And it kills people.

But is that: what people say is- maybe I have candida?

EddieB

I am still not convinced that candida is the problem so many claim it is: so I need to find more info than this.

what do theymean- people in the hospital?

has anyone ever been to a regular medical doctor who said: Oh you have candida, here take this?

This gives a pretty good outline...
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/candida-symptoms-treatment

It’s just not that common, and yes it usually affects those that are severely compromised.

And as a said earlier, it’s been exploited badly because the symptoms sound so common

Last edited:

EddieB

But is that: what people say is- maybe I have candida?
From our conversations, I doubt it.
- in the mouth you’d see it
- on the skin you’d see it
- in the throat/ stomach requires endoscopy
- in the gut requires a culture stool test

And there are many forms of yeast/ fungus that are not necessarily candida. I had a doctor tell me I had a fungal infection in both ears last year, which made me very suspicious of having it elsewhere. But so far nothing has been found.

Rufous McKinney

It’s just not that common

I Looked at Sci Ref 20 on that article...I'm a bit trying to understand if the western medical communicity recognize this as a thing. Rather than reading about it on web sites that aren't technical.

Yes: thrush in the mouth, yeast infections can happen. Ref 20 mentions fungus, no ID of the fungus and it sounded more like a simple allergic reaction to detecting the fungus, rather than: the fungus has taken over.

So I think they recognize only some extreme version....

Here: we see the web site: Goop- SAYs we ALL HAVE CANDIDA problem......

https://goop.com/wellness/health/the-insidious-yeast-infection-we-all-have-and-how-to-treat-it/

My sense from looking (too quickly) at some Googling is: the actual You Have Candida Overgrowth in your blood etc...is incredibly rare.

But as GOOP suggests, within the world of Alt Health: WE are aLL overrun in Candida.

EddieB

Rereading, I would replace “not that common” with “not that likely”.

Everyone has some fungus. And yes, it can flare up. But to the extent of being the source of illness, IMO, not likely.

My new primary doctor questioned me about candida, which in itself was shocking. It once again raised suspicion, but testing showed nothing.

Years ago, I had a couple different alternative practitioners diagnosis me as having a candida overgrowth. Anti fungals, enough herbs, cleanses, and supplements to kill a cow. Nothing, absolutely no improvement.

I’ve since met someone with systemic candida, and although the man was very sick, his symptoms had few things in common with ME/CFS. He was in his mid 60’s, owned an HVAC business, and was still able to work daily. He had few to no digestive problems. He was very thin and had lost a lot of weight, but could still run circles around me.

I’m sure someone will tell me I don’t know what I’m talking about (and they would be correct). All I can speak to is where I’ve been and what I’ve seen. If someone with ME/CFS has found an improvement from treating candida, I’m sincerely happy for you. And yes, I am bitter over the amount of time, money and effort that was put into nothing. Which is prompting me to write all this here.

My best advice is, if someone truly suspects a hidden candida overgrowth, get tested before you take a bunch of meds or spend a lot of money.

Last edited:

Sledgehammer

Yes, nice one. Hopefully we can help each other as you say. I spoke to a doctor the other week on the phone saying how much I was struggling. I'd never spoken to this doctor. He sounded quite young and he was totally on our wavelength. Quite simply saying that we're genuinely sick but science has struggled for answers. When I came off the phone I felt quite elated.

That's very good news indeed.

EddieB

Would be interesting to see your results for the GI Map Test, Eddie...if you are willing to share them, of course!
Absolutely. Mi test results es to test results.

Have you been tested for SIBO? My forward thinking gastroenterologist is Having me do the SIBO breath test today
I’m working on it. Keep us posted on your results!

Sledgehammer

So my samples are in the post much to the delight of the delivery / collection guy who complained a little about me getting them from the refrigirator "I have over 100 deliveries today" was his slight complaint.
Wind your neck in I said, it won't take a few seconds.

He was inquisitive so I filled him in with the details and what it was for. He said he'd collected a few of these parcels. The look on his face was a picture. :rolleyes:

Anyhow. I'll post again once results are in.

Last edited: