• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lymecycline + tinidazole/metronidazole

Thinktank

I've been prescribed lymecycline 200mg twice daily + tinidazole in rotation with metronidazole each 10 days.

The tinidazole/metronidazole is used as a cystbuster so would it make more sense to take tini/metro a few hours before the lymecycline, or at the same time?

Breakfast: lymecycline
Dinner: Lymecycline + tinidazole / metronidazole

or

Breakfast: lymecycline
Lunch or snack before dinner: tinidazole
Dinner: Lymecycline

Hanna

I take both 7 days/month (the rest is lymecycline + other abx in rotqtion).
So far , how much tinidazole or metronidqzole do you take ?

If I recall, it takes 5-6 hours to reach a peak in lymecycline (and vanish after 10-11 hours).
Peak of Tini is within 2 hours (and half life 10-12 hours).

So,if you take first the lymecycline, perhaps it is a little better.
But beware,no alcohol at all with the azoles, because of antabuse effect - even untill72 hours after the last dose.

I use to take my lymecycline 30 mn before breakfast and dinner, and the tini with breakfast and dinner.

Thinktank

@Hanna, Tinidazole 500mg and metronidazole 500mg.
The lymecycline is 300mg twice a day by the way so 600mg daily.

The azoles really cause lots of side effects in me so i'm thinking of doing 10 days tini followed by 10 days metro and then 10 days off any azoles. After those 10 days repeat.

I'll have to look into the peak plasma time and half life of the drugs. If it's really 2 hours for the tini and 5-6 hours for the lymecycline then i think youre right about the dosing.

I have not touched a drop of alcohol since starting my lyme treatment 1 year ago. :)

I usually take the lymecycline 10 to 5 minutes before food. I have IBD and fear 30 minutes before food, on an empty stomach will increase intestinal inflammation.

How much tinidazole in mg are/were you using?

Hanna

@Thinktank , I think you're right to take the lymecycline closer to food intake if your stomach is sensitive.
I am taking 500 mg Tini, twice a day (total 1 gr) when I have my "azoles' week. This kind of stuff is so powerful that my doc says one week at a time is fairly enough.
For how long have you been prescribed the tini/metro ?

There are some neurologic toxicity whith those drugs, and I am pleased my doc is in favour with the pulse therapy. So far I have taken two courses of azoles (the first one with 50% load = 500 mg/day, the second at full dose).

About alcohol, I meant also the one that is included in all those tinctures for lymees (like Nutramedix Samento, Banderol etc).
I wrote to the firm and they advised me to let sit the tincture in warm water for 10 mn in order to lessen the alcohol concentration (evaporates), though it may also make the remedy less powerful.

Hanna

I am on day 5 of my third Tinidazole course and had to quit ...

Those last days I have been experimenting pain in both legs (front thighs and rear calves). The pain is to the extent that I can't stand up more than 15 mns in a row and have to lie down. I don't know if this is linked to the med, neither do I know if this is a peripheral neuropathy or something else.

It is very easy to pin point the pain route as it follows clearly a line (front thighs then rear calvesm with an interruption in the knee area) . That's why I thought about drug induced neuropathy and stopped the Tinidazole (known for nerve toxicity). But maybe I am wrong.

Has someone an idea on the subject ?

physicsstudent13

wow what is the neuroogical damage from tinidazole? is 500mg a safer dose? You must not drink a drop of alcohol...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tinidazole

can you share a about the Neurological Toxicity please? some patients believe you should take minocycline first. I read that doxycycline is neuro protective
http://www.mdjunction.com/forums/ly...minocycline-or-tinidazole-for-lyme-experience

I've started tinidazole for parsitic infections, giardia and protozoan amoeba and other possible infections

do most people go with a pulse dosing to not damage your brain on the drug?

Last edited:

Hanna

I don't know @physicsstudent13 and I would also like to have an answer.
Lately I took my third course of Tinidazole -1gr/day 7 days- and had to drop it after 5 days, because I began to experiment some new nerve pain, along the femoral nerve (confirmed by an MD). I stopped by precaution, because of the warning of toxicity.

5 days later I resumed my Riamet courses because of babesia. And the symptom didn't stop. Moreover, now, I have some real additionnal weakness in the quadriceps, and am no more able to climb stairsm experiment difficulty to stand-up (have to help with arms).

I don't know if it may be linked to the Tinidazole and/or Riamet. I don't see why I could have a sudden compression around L4. And this symptom is very frightening...

If someone has some insight about the problem ?

physicsstudent13

I would just stop with these neurologic CNS Problems and consult a doctor who is better than good.
I'm on day 3 and I've just experienced extreme upset stomach and blood in stool

Thinktank

@Hanna, sorry to hear about your setback. Have you ringed your doctor or the clinic yet to ask about the side effect?
Peripheral neuropathy is common with metro, less so with tini but you should absolutely have it checked out.
How do you fare on metronidazole?

Hanna

Thanks @Thinktank , I am waiting for Monday to call my doc about the neurotoxicity of the drug.
Metro is a no-no for me, as I had terrible vertigo with it a few years ago (took six courses for amybiasis).
Yesterday evening I took additionnal B-complex to see if it can bring some improvement. I am not sure, but I feel a little less pain today. Placebo effect? B6 doing its job on the nerves?
For the weakness I still don't know, as I havn't "exercised' yet (I am not very energetic for the moment and feel I have to rest a lot more than usual).

physicsstudent13

I'm already going deaf and my ears started popping on doxycycline and tinidazole. I'm not sure what the deafness is from it could be piracetam or gentamicin or something I can't remember....ummm neurofibroma??
I probably have a lot of parasites, I definitely had GI parasites that is certain