• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

low grade fever

Ivana

Hello all,

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, i'm too tired to read through old threads.
Does anyone know if 38 degrees celcius (low grade fever) is dangerous? I've had it for quite a while, and picked up Bronchitis last week. It's gone now but my doc is scared of pneumonia as i'm always lying down, shivering cold or boiling hot. Blood tests turn out fine, but my doc is suspecting lyme so we'll be doing more tests within the month. Jst wanted to know if a constant low grade fever is dangerous in M.E? Ive been getting lots of cytokine storms too.

Bet wishes,
Ivana

xrunner

Hi Ivana,
I personally don't think 38 is problem short-term. It's possibly more important how it moves. if it moves up then that should be addressed. If it moves lower that's better. Temperature usually means your body is heating up in an attempt to kill pathogens. It's just a symptom.
I don't think that respiratory infections go away by themselves, symptoms may change as the infection evolves. That's just my personal opinion and I'm not a doc.
Did you take any antibiotics?
My mum had a bad bronchitis recently and those "smart" drs suggested some paracetamol would sort it out. She had around 37-38C for a few days. Afterwards temp went well above 39 and they just said to give her more paracetamol.
I didn't waste time arguing, I just gave her some of my azythromycin and after two days fever had gone.
To rid off all other symptoms it took something else though.

Googsta

Doing Well
I agree with Xrunner.

I would be more concerned with what is causing your low-grade fever, especially following a respiratory illness.
(Although I believe it can just be another fun ME/CFS symptom)
If your doc is concerned about pneumonia he should order a chest x-ray.

Research I have read (on Dr Murray's site) is showing antiB's do not help Bronchitis or sinus infections, BUT they always work for me after two courses :confused: .

I need Two, because they always insist on prescribing Roxithromycin first but that hasn't worked since I was a kid. Even when I had Pneumonia last year.
I think my bugs must have hysterical fits of laughter when they see that stuff coming :p

For my Bronchitis I have tried naturopathic home remedies, herbal remedies, ventolin (which does help), topical rubs, and a vapourizer with Eucalyptus oil which also helps to breathe.
The only real relief from coughing was from Codeine, which isn't great for ME/CFS or the gut/bowel.

Hope you get to the bottom of it ;)

ukxmrv

Ivana, do you know what your normal temp is like?

I'd be very concerned if I had a 38 fever as my normal daily temperature is more around 36-36.

My experience is that when I have a sinus or a bronchial infection then it never goes away unless I do something like antibiotics, sea salt washes or tea tree washes.

taniaaust1

38 degree fever shouldnt be harmful.. temps such as 40 degrees need a trip to the hospital. (the highest my daughter once ran was a temp over 42 degrees.. that can be dangerous).

In the first year of the ME/CFS and much of the second year... I commonly was having a 39-40 degree temp (which was like my normal temp at 39 when I was sick long term.. 40 on occassions.
. I never paid 39 degree celicius temps much attention as my other symptoms were far worst and thou I had those fevers.. I usually felt cold and still craving heat. (burning up but just couldnt get warm)

I dont know why in my case my fevers with the ME crashes were so high as most places say those with ME get low grade fevers (my fevers are low grade nowdays).