• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for someone with Severe ME to interview for feature in The Times

Hutan

I was dour long before it was fashionable...

Some Dior for your dauer?
dior.jpg

JohnCB

Immoderate
I have been thoroughly confused by the pronunciation of dour before Naviaux used dauer in his paper. I know in the past I have heard it rhyming with flower and floor sounding like dower or door. I guess I have avoided using the word as I never know how to say it. Today I went to the dictionary on my phone (Farlex app) and it gives audio for US and UK. I pressed the Union Jack and it sounded like door and I pressed the stars and stripes and it sounded like dower.

I think I remain confused, but I have decided that dauer rhymes with flower.

While we are on the subject, how should I say Naviaux?

mermaid

I have been thoroughly confused by the pronunciation of dour before Naviaux used dauer in his paper. I know in the past I have heard it rhyming with flower and floor sounding like dower or door. I guess I have avoided using the word as I never know how to say it. Today I went to the dictionary on my phone (Farlex app) and it gives audio for US and UK. I pressed the Union Jack and it sounded like door and I pressed the stars and stripes and it sounded like dower.

I think I remain confused, but I have decided that dauer rhymes with flower.

While we are on the subject, how should I say Naviaux?

I had assumed that Naviaux was like the French - as in Navvy-o :)

Hmm...no one springs to mind immediately, unfortunately. But I will definitely have a think and lookout.

I know someone who may fit criteria but is about an hour outside of London. Is this a deal breaker?

Alternatively, you may think of approaching TYMES Trust/ME Association as they regularly advertise posts such as this and have a great response rate.

Best of luck, we're all routing for you, and let me know if there's anything else I can do to facilitate this.