• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-carnosine

robinhood12345

No not creatine or carnitine- carnosine.

Carnosine is a di peptide made from beta alanine, and histidine. Beta alanine is made from other processes in the body, as is histidine to some degree but histidine is also partially an essential amino acid. The highest amounts of carnosine are in muscles where it acts as a pH buffer to keep the pH within normal range so it is incredibly important for normal processes in the cell as enzymes only work within certain pH ranges, and if the pH change is too far out of their range they won't work. Lactic acid is produced when exercising which lowers pH which stops enzymes working optimally which leads to muscle fatigue, tiredness, and if exertion is continued eventually muscle tightness, and cramps. Carnosine is in high amounts in some animal muscle tissue like pork, horse, whale, and turkey, and also present in lesser amounts in cow, and other animal tissue. Carnosine also acts as a neuro transmitter in the brain, and anti oxidant. Carnosine is not marketed much so is not well known even though some elite athletes would take it in high amounts. I will be starting on a few grams a day soon.

Very interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing about your results. I would recommend to start slow and make sure your body reacts ok to it the first time. We like to hear good news around here. ;) Keep us posted.

robinhood12345

[GALLERY=media, 843]Carnosine Foods by robinhood12345 posted Sep 30, 2018 at 12:37 PM[/GALLERY]

Here is a list of carnosine content in some foods. I am going to go buy a load of ham, and eat 200g a day until I can buy a carnosine supplement.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@robinhood12345 - I tried l-carnosine some time last year but didn't notice any difference. This could be due to 3 different factors that I can think of: (1) my body didn't need it; or (2) I didn't take enough (1 gram a day); and/or (3) inferior product (Swanson Vitamins brand).

Unfortunately it's one of the pricier supplements and I take so many already, did not want to play around with taking larger doses.

Keep us posted how you do!

robinhood12345

The carnosine in food would be better absorbed than in the supplement. Plus there is 500mg creatine per 100g in ham, and other good stuff too.

Last edited by a moderator:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
http://www.lifeextension.com/magazine/2011/1/Carnosine-Exceeding-Scientific-Expectations/Page-01
Carnosine is an amino acid compound found primarily in red meat. A typical red meat meal may provide 250 mg of carnosine, but this is quickly degraded in the body by the carnosinase enzyme. What this means is that even if a person relied on red meat for their carnosine, it would not last long enough in the body to provide sustained protective effects. Supplementation with 1,000 mg a day of carnosine overwhelms the carnosinase enzyme, thus enabling one to maintain consistent blood levels of this critical nutrient..
https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2011/1/Carnosine-Exceeding-Scientific-Expectations/Page-02
Most people consume relatively small amounts of carnosine in their diet. Based on a study showing that 250 mg of ingested carnosine from 7 oz. of hamburger meat was completely cleared from the blood of study volunteers within 5-6 hours by the carnosinase enzyme, Life Extension recommends that individuals seeking its anti-aging effects supplement with at least 1,000 mg of carnosine daily to maintain optimal levels in the body.
https://www.herballoveshop.com/product.asp?PID=22101
SUGGESTED USAGE
...it requires that six capsules of six capsules a day of ChronoForte be taken. The reason for this is that the body automatically metabolizes lower amounts of carnosine into an inert substance, but the body cannot neutralize the amount of carnosine (1000 mg) contained in six capsules of ChronoForte.

Carnosine is an antioxidant and a free radical scavenger. It's helpful in treating diabetes. Here's a bottled version:
http://www.amazon.com/Foods-L-carnosine-500mg-Vegetarian-Capsules/dp/B0013OSND8

robinhood12345

Yah there is studies showing the carnosine in food still makes it into the cell as actual carnosine so eating food for it is fine. 300g of ham will provide 1350mg of carnosine+ the other nutrients that will work in synergy with it which are lacking in the supplement version of it. But of course if someone wants to supplement it then that is good too. I bought bulk powder of it on ebay.

If carnosine is so good for you then why is our body releasing carnosinase enzyme to break it down so fast?

robinhood12345

It does that with every molecule to balance everything out. Why does the body break down protein, and every single other nutrient we ingest if it is so good for us? Homeostasis.