• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I've triggered POTS worse than it's been in years but can't seem to resolve it

Aerose91

I have been putting extra effort into cleansing my liver lately- flushes and coffee enemas more frequently and believe i screwed up my electrolyte balance without realizing it, thus triggering POTS really bad.
I always drink tons of water and juice all the time, especially after flushes and i think that's largely what did it; I was replacing potassium but not enough sodium. Recently i added some salt to my water and for the first time in a couple years my dissociation and light intolerance reduced a bit, which was awesome! However, i also became fluish, weak, emotional as hell, more foggy minded and have barely been sleeping an hour per night ever since. It feels like all day now im on the verge of becoming a blubbering idiot I'm so emotional.
I've been tweaking the amount of salt in my water but can't seem to get the balance right. I'm all over the place, both physically and mentally and honestly am the worst I've been in years.
This is really demoralizing. Potassium seems to make me worse, salt helped for about half a day but now screws me up too. Is there a way to figure out a balance that will stabalize me?

bombsh3ll

Hi there,

Are you on any medications that can also affect your electrolytes like fludrocortisone or desmopressin? Everyone is so different but I generally take half a teaspoon of lo-salt (half potassium chloride, half sodium chloride) plus a teaspoon of D-ribose in a 500ml glass of diluting juice on rising, then 1.5 teaspoons sea salt in 1.5 litres diluting juice in the morning followed by another 1.5 litres water plus other drinks such as smoothies and decaf tea the rest of the day. I also take a teaspoon of magnesium citrate daily. I'm still POTSY, tachy, lightheaded and dehydrated! Coffee is one thing I just cannot take because of the diuretic effect, so if you're still taking those enemas I'd maybe stop unless there is a clear and direct benefit from them. Also have you had a blood test to check your electrolytes? This would at least give peace of mind that nothing was too high or too low and if you have scope for extra supplementation. Hope you're soon feeling a bit better.