• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is supplemental molybdenum considered safe?

I'm taking a mineral supplement that contains 100 mcg of molybdenum. I'm taking the supplement for the iodine and selenium (thyroid issues) as well as for the molybdenum and manganese which is supposed to help sulfur metabolism (CBS defunct).

The RDA for molybdenum is 45 mcg....but the supplement contains 100 mcg and I'm sure I get a lot from food as well. Is this safe?

I'd prefer not to have to take zinc, selenium, and iodine separately if this is not safe but whatever...

This is the supplement I use:

Pure Encapulations Trace Minerals 60's
iodine (potassium iodide)............................................................. 100 mcg
zinc (picolinate) ............................................................................... 15 mg
selenium (selenomethionine).......................................................... 70 mcg
copper (glycinate) .............................................................................. 1 mg
manganese (citrate) ........................................................................... 2 mg
chromium (picolinate) .................................................................. 200 mcg
molybdenum (as TRAACS® molybdenum glycinate chelate)........... 100 mcg
boron (glycinate)................................................................................1 mg
vanadium (as bis-glycinato oxo vanadium) ................................... 250 mcg
silica (from Bambusa vulgaris (bamboo) extract (stem)) ................... 10 mg
ascorbyl palmitate (fat-soluble vitamin C) ........................................ 10 mg
(hypo-allergenic plant fiber added to complete capsule volume requirements)

other ingredients: rice flour