• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Inverse vaccine shown to reverse autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis and type 1 diabetes

Hip

Inverse vaccine shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis and other autoimmune diseases

A new type of vaccine developed by researchers at the University of Chicago’s Pritzker School of Molecular Engineering (PME) has shown in the lab setting that it can completely reverse autoimmune diseases like multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, and Crohn's disease — all without shutting down the rest of the immune system.

A typical vaccine teaches the human immune system to recognize a virus or bacteria as an enemy that should be attacked. The new “inverse vaccine” does just the opposite: it removes the immune system’s memory of one molecule. While such immune memory erasure would be unwanted for infectious diseases, it can stop autoimmune reactions like those seen in multiple sclerosis, type I diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn’s disease, in which the immune system attacks a person’s healthy tissues.

The inverse vaccine, described in Nature Biomedical Engineering, takes advantage of how the liver naturally marks molecules from broken-down cells with “do not attack” flags to prevent autoimmune reactions to cells that die by natural processes. PME researchers coupled an antigen — a molecule being attacked by the immune system— with a molecule resembling a fragment of an aged cell that the liver would recognize as friend, rather than foe. The team showed how the vaccine could successfully stop the autoimmune reaction associated with a multiple-sclerosis-like disease.

lenora

Yes, I have a friend whose daughter has a serious case of JD1 and the mother has MS and breast cancer.

Funny, going back years and years ago, there has always thought to be a link to the first two. Treacherous diseases,both of them....or they can be. Yours, Lenora

SWAlexander

"The team showed how the vaccine could successfully stop the autoimmune reaction associated with a multiple-sclerosis-like disease."

I wonder if it would work for lupus as well.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
"The team showed how the vaccine could successfully stop the autoimmune reaction associated with a multiple-sclerosis-like disease."

I wonder if it would work for lupus as well.
Good question. It could also be given to people with early stage Narcolepsy, perhaps preventing it becoming full blown?

SWAlexander

Narcolepsy
Wow. I´m very weary while reading.

A research friend texted me this morning asking "Should we trust?" Maybe "they try to take advantage of a dire situation without knowing the final outcome".

As much as I would like to live for once without my debilitating lupus, and rheumatic symptoms (among others) I think I will say for now, No thank you.

Last edited:

Galixie

I wonder if this could also be used to stop the body from making excess antibodies to things such as EBV? I know the argument against it would be that, because it's a virus, you could get it again and become very sick. But I've also been told that high EBV antibodies can be a precursor to MS. There's clearly an immune system dysfunction at play. It's nice to know that some steps are being made to figure out how to ramp down the immune response when needed.

Garz

I wonder if this could also be used to stop the body from making excess antibodies to things such as EBV? I know the argument against it would be that, because it's a virus, you could get it again and become very sick. But I've also been told that high EBV antibodies can be a precursor to MS. There's clearly an immune system dysfunction at play. It's nice to know that some steps are being made to figure out how to ramp down the immune response when needed.

there was a very large study released in the last couple of years that did a decent job of demonstrating that positive EBV serology was highly associated with MS - which may be where the belief that high EBV titres are associated with MS is coming from ( though that is not exactly what the study found).

what it did not do such a good job of is explaining why, when 95% of us still have EBV in our bodies from prior infection, only a tiny percentage develop MS.
therefore EBV may not be causative - or rather - may be only one causative factor of several
note - the study was based on serology - which is problematic - as its an indirect method

borrelia have also been found in the brains of people with MS at autopsy via reliable direct methods such as staining.
so, as per the other thread where we were discussing this - the excess EBV antibodies could be caused by cross reactivity to borrelia (or other bacteria pathogens - as is documented in the literature) - and the borrelia could be driving the MS - potentially in concert with EBV which may not be well controlled in the presence of known immunosuppressive infections like borreliosis. or EBV could simply be a bystander or false positive due to cross reactivity.

the connection to cancer could also be explained this way - any chronic infection raises the risk of cancer - due to chronic inflammation leading to cellular damage and DNA damage.

Garz

very interesting idea

would be absolutely ground breaking it it works as simply as the article suggests

i guess there may still be some risks attached to turning off immune reactions to ambiguous antigens - ie those shared with pathogens or easily confused with those from pathogens

the immune system is typically trying antibody variants all around the target antigen until it finds the one that it thinks works the best for its target - and then it makes loads of that one
so you could see how it might potentially make counter productive ones
potentially if it were to go wrong, a person could lose the ability to fight a simple common infection or even common bacteria on our skin with pretty disastrous consequences

perhaps its just a case of being super careful which antigens they tag with the safe marker
i guess this will be the kind of thing they need to figure out in terms of safety trials

Carl

I do not like the sound of this TBH. This will not reverse T1 diabetes because it cannot repair the already destroyed pancreatic beta cells. Science is no where close to doing this because it barely knows it's arse from it's elbow. This will also not change the high LPS levels in T1 diabetes which are 235% higher than none diabetics which cause and promote many of the complications in diabetics because it doesn't treat what is causing the autoimmunity which is a pathogenic infection in the digestive system. BTW that is also what causes ME/Fibro, ALL autoimmunity diseases and many other human health problems which I won't list here.