• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intrinsic factor?

Phred

Thanks phred what is lcf?
What tests did you have to confirm a methylation block?

I didn't have any tests for a methylation block. My family doctor's office called to tell me I was low in b12, blood serum was 200. I was told to take 1mg a day and they would retest in 3 months. I started taking crappy cyanocobalamin and was getting more and more tired. My hands were numb, my balance was way off...and that fatigue! Oy! I went back to my doctor saying I was getting even more tired. She ran new blood tests, said my b12 serum level was over 500 and pronounced me no longer b12 deficient. It must be something else she said. Luckily by then I'd found Freddd's protocol and started taking methycobalamin. The first day I took it I went out and worked in my garden for 3 hours. Not the smartest thing to do, but I just felt so much better. I'm still trying to learn to pace myself better.

Phred

hi Phred,

I accidentally ingest gluten or dairy that depression comes back with a vengeance and won't be appeased with any amount of b12

I'm not sure, are there other symptoms that come back with the depression? It could be folate insufficiency. The things that affected me by lessening depression are MeCbl, AdoCbl, L-methylfolate, Sam-e, zinc, TMG, D-ribose. Another could be biotin and even Vit D and any combination or all thereof. Sometimes it can take a lot more l-methylfolate. For depression Deplin research found 15mg the most effective size. Is there any folic, folinic, folinate, folate mentioned? These can hide under a number of names.

Hi Fred,

I haven't tried the Sam-e yet. It's really expensive here in Canada and I've been wondering if I should add it in. Any suggestions on a starting dose? I haven't even looked at TMG or D-ribose. I'm taking 3000 iu of vitman D a day.

I've been thinking of adding more folate. I tried taking quite a bit more before Christmas and wound up with wicked headaches, so I've been reluctant to try again. I also tried upping potassium and started having horrible reflux again. However I think I have some of the folate symptoms you mention. As for IBS as a symptom, who knows. I have Celiac so loose bowels could be from ANYTHING! I think this weekend I'll try a little more folate. I'm still trying to figure out if Solgar has corn it or not. If it does I'll have to find different methylfolate.

Oh and one more thing is that I've started drinking a lot more orange juice again. I don't know if they add folic acid to that or if it's naturally ocurring folate.

Lotus97

Freddd, could you please tell me why Jarrow is no good anymore? I currently have both types mentioned here.
I'm not sure if anyone knows why the quality changed, but I'd like to hear if anyone has a theory. On that subject, I'd also like to know if anyone has a theory why most brands of methylcobalamin are significantly less effective than Ezymatic Therapy's.

Freddd

I'm not sure if anyone knows why the quality changed, but I'd like to hear if anyone has a theory. On that subject, I'd also like to know if anyone has a theory why most brands of methylcobalamin are significantly less effective than Ezymatic Therapy's.

Hi Lotus,

I've heard several hypotheses from references and from researchers. The one theory is that there are multiple minorly different MeCbl forms with slightly different internal arrangements made by the different lines or forms of bacteria used to brew it, like differences in wine or beer by the specific yeasts. Another hypothesis is that the MeCbl is altered during processing to pure form or some combination. There may be other ideas. I don't know.