• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interaction of lorazepam and mitrazapine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

my sister has a problem tapering off mitrazapine. She reduced from 15mg to 12mg within 4 weeks. She takes lorazepam at the same time. She feels that mitracapine enhances the effects of lorazepam. Now after reducing mitracapine the effects of lorazepam have become weak and she is going into severe withdrawal. She increased the lorazepam dose a bit, but it didn't help. Does anyone have experience with taking mitracapine and lorazepam? How do they affect each other?

YippeeKi YOW !!

WOW ..... I'm exhausted and witless right now, I'll hvae to come bac tomorrw. And yes, I have thoughts. A lot of them.

For one, your sister is going thru tolerance withdrawal hell, and it's a hard, hard, hard, dreadful place to be. It happens when your systm adjusts to your current dose, and that dose doesnt work for you anyore, so you take a higher dose, then that doesnt work, so you rake a slightly higher dose to get the same effect ..... lather, rinse, repeat ....

Her brain, Central Nervous System (CNS), neurotransmitters (they send signals back and forth in your brain .... the two main ones are GABA, the relaxing, mellow one, and that balances glutamate, the hard driving, jam up your neurons and make them dance til they die one. Literally), have all been worked over by the lorazepam, which is a hideously addictive benzodiazepine (benzo), and the mirtazapine (I'm assuming you mean mirtazapine, PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, yes? It wont hurt my feelings). Working together, they've pretty much burned the village to the ground. This is reparable, but tough.

I'll def be back early tomorrow AM. In the meantime, google The Ashton Protocol. Heather C. Ashton is a British doctor who developed a system for getting people off benzodiazepines. Lorazepam is an especially vicious one, with a short half-life, so you need to keep dosing it to maintain the soothing effect, but while it's soothing you, it's destroying your body's GABA receptors, the mellowing neurotransmitter, and your brain just sort of shrugs and says, "... Well, I dont need to be making any more GABA, that's being handled ...", and your GABA receptors slowly disappear. That's when tolerance withdrawal really takes hold. Hard.

The trick is rebuilding the neurotransmitters and receptors, and it's not an easy road.

I wish I'd found this earlier. Im really trashed and exhausted right now. Thinking is extremely hard ....

Dont despair .... I'll be back.....

OH CRAP !!! I wrote this to you yesterday afternoon, and then wandered off without actually posting. I'm so sorry ....

I'm still a little rocky, will be sucking up more coffee in the hopes of kick-starting brain, and will be back shortly ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

While I dont have personal experience in mixing mirtazapine an lorazepam, here are a few thoughts bout that .....

MIRTAZAPINE
Mirtazapine is a tetra-cyclic anti-depressant that acts on just about your whole CNS, forcing what Drs like to call the strengthening of brain chemicals. Like SSRIs, it works to hold some of these critical chemicals in your brain for longer periods of time, rather than allowing them to re-absorbed and reused, and increasing the release of others. But in doing so, it signals the brain that it doesnt really have to do its job in producing these, because the medication is holding serotonin, dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine, in brain synapses for longer periods of time, and in some of these chemicals, forcing higher production.

Mirtazapine is known for creating confusion, poor judgment, poor coordination, initially interrupted sleep patterns, drowsiness, dizziness, and weight gain, along with more serious effects like low sodium levels, flu-like symptoms, or suicidal thoughts. Clumsiness leading to increased accidents has also occurred.

All-in-all, it's not a good answer to sleep issues. It induces sleepiness in some of the same way as OTC antihistamines do, by binding strongly to the histamine receptor, but with far more difficult and resistant side-effects.

Because of its method of action on the brain's neurotransmitters, it would definitely interact with benzos like lorazapam., with the two possibly potentiating each other.

LORAZEPAM
But I think your sister's issues right now are with lorazepam, and the fact that her brain and its systems have adjusted to the current dose and need more for the same response she got initially on a lower dose. Once this starts, its called TOLERANCE WITHDRAWAL, meaning that you havent stopped taking the drug, so it's not true withdrawal, but rather that your sister's current dose is too low to prod the brain into producing the same effect. Once you start boosting your dose, it's an endless, bottomless pit of misery.

Getting off, or even just reducing lorazepam is extremely hard, because its action also destroys your brain's ability to calm itself, with the release of GABA. It's destroyed your own GBA receptors and convinced the brain that, on top of that, it doesnt need to bother producing GABA.

TAPERING
The only real treatment for this would require your sister's prescribing Dr to help her taper off, but I can tell you right now that, while Drs are avid prescribers of these horrors, they're far more reluctant to participate in a real and safe program of tapering off of them. For one, it takes a very, very long time and requires a lot of patience, something most Drs today have little interest in, or time for. For another, it requires lengthy terms of diazepam (Valium), which Drs are resistant to doing because it will draw the attention of oversight agencies and the possible loss of their license to practice.

TAPER DOCTORS
This has created a subsection specialty, the taper Dr. They have extended and specialized training which allows the to be licensed officially for this tough work, are more protected from accusations by the FDA of over-prescribing, and they're as hard to find as leprechaun's gold or unicorns. But they're the best bet for getting off these drugs. And even they will try to rush the taper, for their own convenience, not unlike regular Drs, but less hurriedly.

OTHER HELPERS
There are some more natural substances that can help, but they cant eliminate the real and extended torture of trying to get off this shite. If you're interested, I'll come back and post some info about that, but right now, I'm pretty tapped out, and ned to refuel ....

katabasis

Hi @Alex113, sorry your sister is in this situation. Drug withdrawal really sucks, and I feel like many doctors do not appreciate how deeply unpleasant withdrawal from antidepressant drugs can be.

I have a hunch that withdrawing from mirtazapine will not affect the efficacy of lorazepam per se. Mirtazapine doesn't have any direct effects on GABA or GABA receptors, and lorazepam (indeed most benzodiazpines) doesn't really have any effect aside from being a positive allosteric modulator of GABA. In a way, this is good news because withdrawal from benzodiazepines is dangerous, potentially causing seizures (sometimes to a fatal extent). Mirtazapine withdrawal should not produce true lorazepam withdrawal.

That said, withdrawing from mirtazapine can cause anxiety, depression, overstimulation, and a whole host of unpleasant somatic symptoms. And since lorazepam typically reduces the perception of many of these symptoms (particularly anxiety, overstimulation, and nausea), it may appear to your sister as though it were less effective -- but this is because she is now expecting lorazepam to treat a greater intensity of baseline symptoms. This is not the same as lorazepam withdrawal, but I imagine it is still quite an arduous situation.

One fact that I think might be worth considering is that mirtazapine is a 'dirty drug' -- i.e. that it affects many different receptors, ranging from various types of serotonin receptors, to alpha-2 adrenergic receptors, to H1 histamine receptors, and to a lesser extent monoamine transporters, muscarinic ACh receptors, etc. Because of this, it seems to me like you might be able to find a replacement drug which covers similar activity at a few of these receptors -- taking such a drug would allow your sister to selectively withdraw from a portion of mirtazapine's effects, and then later on withdraw from the rest of them.

One such replacement drug that comes to mind is hydroxyzine -- this an H1 antihistamine like mirtazapine, along with 5-HT2A antagonism (also like mirtazapine). But that is the extent of the drug's primary effects. If you were to slowly replace the mirtazapine with hydroxyzine, this might allow her adrenergic system and 5-HT2C/5-HT3 receptors to normalize, while still maintaining a certain level of anxiety relief and sedation. Hydroxyzine can later be withdrawn at her convenience.

Of course, this kind of drug replacement is usually done all at once, entirely replacing one drug for another. And I'm not entirely sure that hydroxyzine wouldn't interact in some way when combined with the lowering dosage of mirtazapine. It would be something you would need to talk to a doctor about, I think.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I have a hunch that withdrawing from mirtazapine will not affect the efficacy of lorazepam per se.
I agree. But the issue that @Alex113 's sister is appears to be dealing with probably isnt caused by the mirtazapine, per se, or even more than peripherally, but by the tolerance withdrawal effects of the lorazepam. And the only way to deal with that is to either increase the dosage of the lorazepam, not recommended, or find a way to taper down without disrupting the fragile and sensitive brain chemistry any more than it already has been.

This should start with a consult with the prescribing Dr, which probably will yield very little in the way of useable input, for the reasons that I expressed above, but it's best to start there and chart your course after that.

If you have any thoughts on that, I think that @Alex113 would be grateful to hear them.

katabasis

I agree. But the issue that @Alex113 's sister is appears to be dealing with probably isnt caused by the mirtazapine, per se, or even more than peripherally, but by the tolerance withdrawal effects of the lorazepam. And the only way to deal with that is to either increase the dosage of the lorazepam, not recommended, or find a way to taper down without disrupting the fragile and sensitive brain chemistry any more than it already has been.

@Alex113's sister reported that mirtazapine seemed to enhance the effects of the lorazepam. This is probably that both drugs have sedating and anxiolytic properties that subjectively compound with each other, and not that the mirtazapine is affecting how lorazepam functions on a pharmacological level. So, when @Alex113's sister says that mirtazapine dose reduction is weakening the effect of lorazepam, it is likely that this is only a subjective description of symptoms and not an accurate assessment of what the drugs are truly doing.

By analogy -- say you had a flashlight that worked reasonably well in the middle of the night. But then, you go outside at 1 PM, and you no longer see it produce a visible beam. It would be a mistake to conclude that the flashlight no longer works, and likewise, you couldn't fix this situation by replacing its batteries.

It's true that regular usage of lorazepam produces tolerance to its effects, but this is gradual, and since this situation is occurring acutely alongside mirtazapine withdrawal, I don't think it is intrinsically related to lorazepam tolerance.

Of course, I think it could be helpful if @Alex113 lets us know more specifically what symptoms their sister is experiencing worsening of. This might clue us in to any potentially unexpected interaction of the two drugs.

I agree it's probably not a good idea to increase the dosage of lorazepam to deal with these symptoms. By the time she's done withdrawing from mirtazapine, she will have built additional tolerance to lorazepam. Mirtazapine withdrawal in this case is the lesser of two evils; benzodiazepine tolerance is a huge liability. Not to mention that since lorazepam doesn't directly ameliorate the neural mechanisms involved in mirtazapine withdrawal, increasing the dosage of lorazepam may not even sufficiently combat her symptoms.

I also agree that the Ashton protocol is probably the most effective approach to withdrawing from benzodiazepines, but I think it makes sense to only withdraw from one drug at a time if you're able to. And it seems like there must be some reason why they decided to reduce the mirtazapine dosage, which I have to assume gives it priority here.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Does anyone have experience with taking mitracapine and lorazepam? How do they affect each other?
Chemically, the lorazepam has more odds of affecting the mirtazaine than the other way around. It would increase the known side-effects of the mirtazepine, including drowsiness, clumsiness, dry mouth, etc.... all the usyual effects of something that causes drowsiness by working on the histamine receptor ....
It's true that regular usage of lorazepam produces tolerance to its effects, but this is gradual,
That's a commonly held misconception. While the initial, subtle effects may be gradual and close to unnoticable, when the full tolerance withdrawal hits, its sudden onset is undeniable.

And the length of time it takes for this to express depends on a lot of things, including what other benzos you may have take in the past, for how long, and how you terminated their use (this can produce an effect called 'kindling'), what your genetic make-up is (some people are fortunate enough to be able to take a benzo for years with no tolerance, others can hit tolerance in weeks), the amount and frequency of the dosage (with lorazepam's relatively short half life, tolerance can be reached fairly quickly), and how sensitive your CNS is to alterations in its chemistry and function.

and since this situation is occurring acutely alongside mirtazapine withdrawal, I don't think it is intrinsically related to lorazepam tolerance.
I agree. They're two different things. Mirtazapine is tetracyclic anti-depressant, used off-label, because drug companies can make more income the more different uses their products are put to, for a wide variety of other issues.

Among them:

• Panic disorder ...
  • Generalized anxiety disorder...
  • Dysthymia ...
  • Tension headaches...
  • Hot flushes...
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
  • Sleep disorders...
  • Substance abuse disorders...
  • Sexual disorders..
So, when @Alex113's sister says that mirtazapine dose reduction is weakening the effect of lorazepam, it is likely that this is only a subjective description of symptoms and not an accurate assessment of what the drugs are truly doing.
Again, I agree.

And at the risk of sounding like a broken record, and pending a report from @Alex113 on the exact symptoms that his sister is expressing, I still believe that what's going on is tolerance withdrawal, having little or nothing to do with the mirtazapine, although the use of a relatively powerful anti-d along with an extremely powerful benzo is a uniquely bad idea, and I have to wonder what the Dr who prescribed this combo was thinking.

Thank you very much for the detailed answers!
What should be mentioned, she is completely bedridden for about 3 years, Bell scale 0.
She has been taking lorazepam for about 2.5 years, the current dose is 2.8 mg spread over the day. Started back then because of severe sensory overload and other symptoms.
She's been taking mirtazipine for about 3 months, starting with less than 7mg for better sleep, then going up to 15mg because she didnt noticed any effect, then she felt like Tavor wasn't working that well anymore and otherwise not a good one Effect of mirtazapine, therefore the attempt to taper off. When trying just found that the lorazepam feels even worse.
Overall, she takes the following medications: (Lorazepam 2.8 mg and Mirtazapine 12 mg) Cimetidine 200mg, Fenistil 4x1mg, Carvedilol (Coreg ) 3.125mg, Clonidine 75umg x 1.5, Restex, Kratom 5 gr
she would like to leave out cymetidine, but also reacts badly, witch a crash if she reduces it.

YippeeKi YOW !!

she takes the following medications: (Lorazepam 2.8 mg and Mirtazapine 12 mg) Cimetidine 200mg, Fenistil 4x1mg, Carvedilol (Coreg ) 3.125mg, Clonidine 75umg x 1.5, Restex, Kratom 5 gr
WOW!!! That's a lot !!!! Your poor sister !!!! I was also bedbound for a bit over five years, and it's a hellish place to be. Is she bedbound as the result of ME, or is something else also involved?

Thank you for the additional info, which complicates things somewhat. When it was just two meds whose effects I'm familiar with, it seemed pretty clear. Now tho, it's a bit ....more complex. It's hard to know what's interacting with what when so many players are on the field.

Because the makers of Ativan/lorazepam express the strength as doses of 1 mg or 2 mgs, it sounds relatively benign. But 1 mg of lorazepam is equivalent to 10 MGS OF VALIUM !!! So your sister is taking the equivalent of almost 30 mgs of valium a day, which is a pretty hefty dose. If she's spreading thru-out the day since it has a short half life (the manufacturers like to say it has an intermediate half life, but that's just .... well, let's call it an exaggeration), it could definitely be edging into tolerance withdrawal, altho it's hard to say. We all have different wiring, and our genes have written different instructions for each of us, so who knows. Also, 2.8 mg seems to indicate that she may already have had to titrate her dose upwards.

I'm still inclined to part of the problem being tolerance withdrawal, but like I said, with that many possibilities, it's really hard to pin down just one.

CLONIDINE AND LORAZEPAM
Clonidine, like mirtazapine, is dicey, taken in combo with lorazapam and mirtazapine. So now there're three drugs that can potentiate each other, and that can replicate each others side effects, while possibl cancelling out each other's ebenfits.

Clonidine stimulates alpha 2 adrenoceptors, decreasing noradrenaline release from central and peripheral sympathetic nerve terminals, which would seem to work in almost direct opposition to mirtazapine, whcih stimulates all transmitters, including noradrenaline. Clonidine is often used as a sedative for patients in intensive care, as well as children with ADHD ...

CIMETIDINE
Not entirely sure why quitting cimetidine should cause withdrawal issues, unless quitting it activates excess acidity and causes distress in the event of gastric or duodenal ulcers, altho it is noted as a SHORT TERM treatment. And because it acts on the histamine H2 receptor as an antagonist, it could be iterferig with or ltering something else. Am really weary, Alex, and may have to come back and deal with all the other stuff later ...

CARVEDILOL
This is an Alpha and Beta blocker, slows heart rate, lowers blood pressure, reduces strain on the heart.

I'm beginning to wonder how you sister could possibly avoid interactions with this array of medications.

FENISTIL
Is an H1 antagonist and only minimally crosses the blood–brain barrier. It's also an M2 receptor antagonist.
It seems that your sister is taking drug one and two, then drug three for side effects then drug four for the side effects of drug three, and on and on and on, tho it's clear that some of them are essential for relief of all kinds of pain.

RESTEX
Not familiar with Restex.

KRATOM
I assume your sister is taking this for additional sedation and maybe some pain management and under a Drs supervision. It mimics three of the others in terms of being a CNS and respiratory depressant. It could also be triggering serotonin syndrome, which can be causing all the other issues, or a large part of them, that your sister is dealing with.

I think your sister may be overmedicated, tho its hard to say, because I know so little about her, or her Dr's thought processes in prescribing all of these for simultaneous use.

NUTRITION AND SUPPLEMENTS
What nutritional supports does your sister use? Several of these meds will drain nutrients like crazy, which can precipitate all kinds of issues. But Id hesitate to recommend anything that may have worked for me under different circumstances, because those circumstances are different enough, and her medications extensive enough, to make me uneasy about any suggestions. But I think you might try googling around for things like "What medications deplete the B-vits?"

This is a lot of medication, and several of them are probably .... problematic in combination with each other ...

VIT D, MK-7, MAGNESIUM
Does your sister take and Vit D? It's been found to be effective in anxiety/stress situations, and, as long as you take it with some Vit MK-7 to keep the calcium that D will release into your bloodstream from settling in your arteries and joints, and some magnesium (I use magnesium glycinate with very good results) to help the Vit D metabolize (otherwise it'll pull it from anywhere it can get it, like bones and teeth), it should be side-effect free.

Hoping all this helps. It seems pretty superficial to me, but it's the best I can manage right now. Very, very, faitigued.

katabasis

That's a commonly held misconception. While the initial, subtle effects may be gradual and close to unnoticable, when the full tolerance withdrawal hits, its sudden onset is undeniable.

And the length of time it takes for this to express depends on a lot of things, including what other benzos you may have take in the past, for how long, and how you terminated their use (this can produce an effect called 'kindling'), what your genetic make-up is (some people are fortunate enough to be able to take a benzo for years with no tolerance, others can hit tolerance in weeks), the amount and frequency of the dosage (with lorazepam's relatively short half life, tolerance can be reached fairly quickly), and how sensitive your CNS is to alterations in its chemistry and function.

I think I misunderstood what you meant by 'tolerance withdrawal'. But still, I'm not sure that is what is happening here. Not everyone who is dependent on benzodiazepines experiences 'tolerance withdrawal', and generally the mechanism of this phenomenon is tied to a sort of small-scale gradual kindling effect caused by failing to achieve steady state of the drug. In other words, it is more common to see this occur in people who dose inconsistently (for instance, in people who abuse the drug) and in benzodiazepines with shorter half lives. The half-life of lorazepam is 12 hours, and @Alex113 says it is dosed throughout the day, so it seems like his sister should have a reasonably steady state of lorazepam.

2.8 mg of lorazepam isn't a low dose, but it's not that high either. Anecdotally, I know people who have massively abused benzodiazepines for years, and I don't any of them really experienced what you could describe as tolerance withdrawal. Granted that someone with severe ME/CFS is probably more inclined to notice even slight benzodiazepine withdrawal, but I think the timing of the symptom worsening coinciding with this mirtazapine issue (after 2.5 years on lorazepam apparently incident-free) is a little too suspicious for me suspect tolerance withdrawal.

She's been taking mirtazipine for about 3 months, starting with less than 7mg for better sleep, then going up to 15mg because she didnt noticed any effect, then she felt like Tavor wasn't working that well anymore and otherwise not a good one Effect of mirtazapine, therefore the attempt to taper off. When trying just found that the lorazepam feels even worse.

@Alex113, how long exactly was she on each of these doses of mirtazapine? I find it interesting that it was actually the dosage increase which made her feel as though the lorazepam was not working as well, even before you tried to reduce the dosage mirtazapine. I wonder whether the activating effects of mirtazapine (mediating by alpha-2 antagonism) were simply overstimulating her or causing anxiety. If the dosage increase was fairly recent, it might actually make sense to go all the way down to the 7 mg dose -- she hopefully won't have increased her tolerance to the mirtazapine all that much, and this might reduce that stimulation. It is a difficult balancing act, though.

Overall, she takes the following medications: (Lorazepam 2.8 mg and Mirtazapine 12 mg) Cimetidine 200mg, Fenistil 4x1mg, Carvedilol (Coreg ) 3.125mg, Clonidine 75umg x 1.5, Restex, Kratom 5 gr
she would like to leave out cymetidine, but also reacts badly, witch a crash if she reduces it.

That is a lot of drugs. I agree with @YippeeKi YOW !! that this is a huge liability and you should probably be finding away to reduce the degree of polypharmacy at play here.

Generally cimetidine doesn't cause too much of a neurological withdrawal on its own. But it's worth noting that it inhibits the CYP3A4 enzyme, which metabolizes both the mirtazapine and several of the kratom alkaloids. I don't know when it was she tried reducing the cimetidine dosage, but I think it's possible she had crashed due to enzyme interactions with other drugs.

KRATOM
I assume your sister is taking this for additional sedation and maybe some pain management and under a Drs supervision. It mimics three of the others in terms of being a CNS and respiratory depressant. It could also be triggering serotonin syndrome, which can be causing all the other issues, or a large part of them, that your sister is dealing with.

I just want to point out that kratom does not cause serotonin syndrome on its own. It may increase the risk of serotonin syndrome when it inhibits the enzymes which metabolize a drug which itself can cause serotonin syndrome. However, none of @Alex113 's sister's drugs appear to be much of a serotonin syndrome risk. In fact, mirtazapine actually probably reduces the risk of serotonin syndrome, as it is a 5-HT2A antagonist, and activation of this receptor plays a major role in the serotonin syndrome pathophysiology.

YippeeKi YOW !!

She has been taking lorazepam for about 2.5 years,
She's been taking mirtazipine for about 3 months, starting with less than 7mg for better sleep, then going up to 15mg because she didnt noticed any effect,
To answer your questions about how long for both mirtazapine and lorazepam, see @Alex113 post, just above your post, above, and my response to @Alex113 , that you're quoting from here . I've re-posted that info for you above this.
Not everyone who is dependent on benzodiazepines experiences 'tolerance withdrawal',
This is simply not the case, or, more accurately, diminishes the issues that benzos cause. And if you're 'dependent' on benzos, then you're heading towards tolerance withdrawal eventually, depending on your system. Some patients have more resistance to hitting tolerance withdrawal than others, other patients can hit tolerance withdrawal in a matter of weeks. And an unlucky few can it that in a week or two. It's a genetic crap-shoot.
generally the mechanism of this phenomenon is tied to a sort of small-scale gradual kindling effect caused by failing to achieve steady state of the drug.
Again, not accurate. The 'kindling' effect is something entirely different, and refers to rapid-onset tolerance withdrawal on a benzo, after previous experience with a different benzo which has already damaged or weakened your system.

There really is NO way to achieve what you call a ' .... steady state of the drug ...' because using benzos damages your system in a uniquely difficult way that absolutely requires increased doses to maintain a ' ...steady effect ...'., since by taking a benzo, you're slowly destroying your own ability to produce GABA, and burning down the GABA receptors in your system, so that the only source of the calming effect of GABA is through benzos. This is why withdrawal of any sort is so overwhelmingly horrible and difficult.

it is more common to see this occur in people who dose inconsistently (for instance, in people who abuse the drug) and in benzodiazepines with shorter half lives.
Actually, it's just the reverse. Dosing inconsistently, as in only when you need it and in small amounts, avoids the destruction of your own GABA production and the retention of most, if not all, of your system's GABA receptors, and gives your brain time to rebalance after the interim and occasional use of a benzo.

People who abuse the drug usually do so in a desperate attempt to get relief from the effects of tolerance withdrawal, which are identical to cold-turkey withdrawal, tho slightly less in initial intensity.

The half-life of lorazepam is 12 hours,
That's the half-life of actually metabolizing both the drug itself, and its inactive ingredients. It's effective half-life as an anxiolitic is more like 4 to 5 hours, decreasing rapidly from that point. This is why lorazepam is prescribed with at least 2, usually 3, and more occasionally 4, doses a day. It's also what makes it one of the more dangerous benzos, along with Xanax, which is much worse, and is even shorter in effect, though its onset is faster.

I just want to point out that kratom does not cause serotonin syndrome on its own
Nor did I say that it did. I said that it might be triggering a problem with serotonin

And while Kratom doesn't usually cause serotonin syndrome on its own, it can be a strong contributory factor.

Along with it's action on opioid receptors, it acts on the release of serotonin and norepinephraine at lower doses, and produces opioid and benzodiazepine-like sedative effects like pain relief, relaxation, and a mild euphoria, which is one of the reasons that it's being looked at more closely for the relief of depression and anxiety.

It may increase the risk of serotonin syndrome when it inhibits the enzymes which metabolize a drug which itself can cause serotonin syndrome.
Kratom inhibits a broad spectrum of the CYP450 hepatic isozyme system, inhibiting CYP2C9, CYP2D6, and the most prevalent and utilized pathway, CYP3A, with the most potent pathway being the CYP2D6, which is the least-traveled in benzo metabolizing.

Because of kratom’s affinity for serotonin and norepinephrine receptors, it stands to reason that it’s a solid player in serotonin syndrome, particularly when coupled with other drugs that affect serotonin.

Again @Alex113 , I think your sister is on a difficult-to-manage cocktail of drugs, some of them fighting with each other, others potentiating each other, and all-in-all, making for potential problems down the road. And I still believe that what she's experiencing now seems a lot like tolerance withdrawal from the lorazepam, which will most likely only get more severe.

katabasis

To answer your questions about how long for both mirtazapine and lorazepam, see @Alex113 post, just above your post, above, and my response to @Alex113 , that you're quoting from here . I've re-posted that info for you above this.

I was asking about how long she was on each dose of mirtazapine. The answer you quoted is how long she was on the drug in general not each dose. I'm trying to understand whether she was, say, on 7 mg for 1 month and 15 mg for 2 months, or perhaps 7 mg for 2.5 months and 15 mg for 2 weeks. Different situations.

This is simply not the case, or, more accurately, diminishes the issues that benzos cause. And if you're 'dependent' on benzos, then you're heading towards tolerance withdrawal eventually, depending on your system. Some patients have more resistance to hitting tolerance withdrawal than others, other patients can hit tolerance withdrawal in a matter of weeks. And an unlucky few can it that in a week or two. It's a genetic crap-shoot.

I am in no way trying to diminish the seriousness of benzodiazepine dependence. They are terrible drugs with many serious side effects, and can cause serious physical and psychological dependence. However, I believe you are seriously overstating the 'tolerance withdrawal' phenomenon which is to my knowledge not guaranteed or even necessarily common. In fact, it would really help me if you could link me to a literature review or something which sheds some light on the phenomenon, because unless there is some data out there on the epidemiology or at least pathophysiology of it, then we are both basing our opinions on anecdote and have no reason to quibble much further about it other than to agree 'it could be a factor, who knows'.

I also want to reiterate that @Alex113's sister has been using lorazepam for 2.5 years, at a dosage only slightly elevated (if at all) from typical introductory dosages. This indicates a degree of stability at that dosage that would stretch the plausibility of 'tolerance withdrawal' as an explanation. Not to mention the coincidence that it is supposedly happening at specifically at the same time she is first trying and subsequently reducing the dosage of a drug which has caused evident side effects.

Again, not accurate. The 'kindling' effect is something entirely different, and refers to rapid-onset tolerance withdrawal on a benzo, after previous experience with a different benzo which has already damaged or weakened your system.

There really is NO way to achieve what you call a ' .... steady state of the drug ...' because using benzos damages your system in a uniquely difficult way that absolutely requires increased doses to maintain a ' ...steady effect ...'., since by taking a benzo, you're slowly destroying your own ability to produce GABA, and burning down the GABA receptors in your system, so that the only source of the calming effect of GABA is through benzos. This is why withdrawal of any sort is so overwhelmingly horrible and difficult.

I think you should go and read a little more about kindling. It is not something that necessarily entails 'tolerance withdrawal', and most typically occurs during repeated instances of withdrawal from benzodiazepines (whether the same or different from prior use) or other GABAergic sedatives such as alcohol, barbiturates, etc. There are a host of physiological changes that happening during acute cold-turkey withdrawal from these drugs that, after repeated instances of withdrawal, in aggregate, sensitize neurons in a way that makes withdrawal more severe.

There is not a huge amount of literature on the phenomenon of 'tolerance withdrawal' that I've been able to find but I remember reading the theory that it is related to kindling that occurs on a small scale inter-dose. But again, as I said above, I can't find much information about 'tolerance withdrawal' in general so feel free to link me to something which substantiates anything about the subject.

The main challenges in achieving a steady state of benzodiazepine merely have to do with how quickly the body eliminates the drug and how often the patient can feasibly dose. Now, whether a steady state ameliorates the issues you are talking about is a somewhat different thing.

Tolerance to benzodiazepines is more tied to a reduction in GABA-A receptor expression than a reduction of GABA synthesis, as far as I know, but in any case these reductions are tied homeostatically to the increased efficacy of GABA at GABA-A receptors for a given steady state of benzodiazepine. Obviously there's still a liability in that the dosage could be interrupted, and also subtle biochemical changes in other aspects of the brain related to this new homeostasis, but not anything that drastically changes the excitatory/inhibitory balanace. Of course the situation is, in truth, more complicated anybody could sum up in 1 paragraph but I feel like this covers the main gist. This is a good literature review on mechanisms of benzodiazepine tolerance, if you care to investigate - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3321276/

Actually, it's just the reverse. Dosing inconsistently, as in only when you need it and in small amounts, avoids the destruction of your own GABA production and the retention of most, if not all, of your system's GABA receptors, and gives your brain time to rebalance after the interim and occasional use of a benzo.

People who abuse the drug usually do so in a desperate attempt to get relief from the effects of tolerance withdrawal, which are identical to cold-turkey withdrawal, tho slightly less in initial intensity.

This is a huge misconception - dosing inconsistently is the exact trigger for the kindling phenomenon, as is seen strikingly more often in, say, binge-drinkers who are dosing as inconsistently as possible, essentially withdrawing fully before their next dosage. Please go read even the Wikipedia article on kindling. It's true that you will get a homeostatic tolerance to any GABAergic sedative with consistent dosing, but aside from the general loss of receptor expression, there is less change than you might expect, compared with the essentially traumatic (physiologically, that is) experience of abrupt withdrawal which results in kindling. Someone who very gradually weans down from a single, even if prolonged, course of benzodiazepines stands a great chance of more-or-less full recovery in a way that someone with kindled neurons does not.

That's the half-life of actually metabolizing both the drug itself, and its inactive ingredients. It's effective half-life as an anxiolitic is more like 4 to 5 hours, decreasing rapidly from that point. This is why lorazepam is prescribed with at least 2, usually 3, and more occasionally 4, doses a day. It's also what makes it one of the more dangerous benzos, along with Xanax, which is much worse, and is even shorter in effect, though its onset is faster.

I think you are misunderstanding the concept of 'half-life'. A drug's half-life is, by definition, the time it takes for its concentration to be halved, which can be further specified in terms of its concentration in the blood, or a certain tissue, or say based on the amount of drug metabolites excreted totally, etc. This is, in most cases and in this case specifically, essentially unrelated to the inactive ingredients of the drug - an oral dosage of lorazepam powder, say, is not going to result in pharmacodynamics different from the drug in pill form. The whole thing breaks down pretty rapidly in the stomach, and there is little change to the rest of the ADME (absorption/distribution/metabolism/excretion).

It is also pointless to use 'half-life' in reference to the drug's subjective effects, as half-life is, by definition, quantitative. What you are calling lorazepam's 'effective half life as an anxiolytic' is what most people would just call the drug's duration. The subjective duration of a drug may be extremely different from its biological half-life. For a habitual user of cannabis, e.g., the half life of THC is like a week, but obviously the subjective duration of a single dosage of cannabis for that user would probably be a only a couple of hours (depending on the size of the dosage, of course).

So while the subjective effects of lorazepam may not be very long, and I would imagine this is especially so in tolerant users, this is only indirectly related to the drug concentration and half-life, which is an objective phenomenon, and importantly, the one that fundamentally affects the biological processes that underlie tolerance and withdrawal.

Also, for the record, 12 hours is usually considered a 'moderate' length half-life. There are many benzos with shorter half lives, such as midazolam, triazolam, brotizolam, alprazolam (slightly shorter), etc. Though some of those are not typically prescribed in a regimen for this exact reason.

Nor did I say that it did. I said that it might be triggering a problem with serotonin

And while Kratom doesn't usually cause serotonin syndrome on its own, it can be a strong contributory factor.

Along with it's action on opioid receptors, it acts on the release of serotonin and norepinephraine at lower doses, and produces opioid and benzodiazepine-like sedative effects like pain relief, relaxation, and a mild euphoria, which is one of the reasons that it's being looked at more closely for the relief of depression and anxiety.
Kratom inhibits a broad spectrum of the CYP450 hepatic isozyme system, inhibiting CYP2C9, CYP2D6, and the most prevalent and utilized pathway, CYP3A, with the most potent pathway being the CYP2D6, which is the least-traveled in benzo metabolizing.

Because of kratom’s affinity for serotonin and norepinephrine receptors, it stands to reason that it’s a solid player in serotonin syndrome, particularly when coupled with other drugs that affect serotonin.

Again @Alex113 , I think your sister is on a difficult-to-manage cocktail of drugs, some of them fighting with each other, others potentiating each other, and all-in-all, making for potential problems down the road. And I still believe that what she's experiencing now seems a lot like tolerance withdrawal from the lorazepam, which will most likely only get more severe.

The effect of kratom alkaloids on serotonin is de minimis. I have not seen any research which really shows it to significantly release or inhibitor the reuptake of serotonin, and the only interaction with the serotonin system by mitragynine appears to be as a 5-HT2A antagonist, an action which, as I mentioned before, is actually somewhat protective against serotonin syndrome.

I think a lot of the confusion on this point is due to this one paper which described kratom's antinociceptive properties as involving "both descending noradrenergic and serotonergic systems" (https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0014299996007145). However, this was suggested on the basis of behavior changes in kratom-dosed mice after subsequently being treated with cyproheptadine, reserpine, idazoxan, etc., all drugs either selective for norepinephrine or with effects so broad that they are almost meaningless. If anything, these results to me suggest an effect on norepinephrine, but in no way necessarily on serotonin without other evidence. It's actually a good paper, and perhaps is a good guidepost to future directions in kratom research, but the mere mention of serotonin had people suddenly declaring it was definitively involved. Almost every article or paper I've seen repeating that ends up pointing back to this one paper.

Perhaps people are also eager to swallow the serotonin myth because of kratom's unusual effects. It is clearly different from other opioids, being particularly benign or wholesome in comparison, and it is not entirely clear why. I think some of this probably has to do with norepinephrine, but I think a lot of these differences are due to the lack of beta-arrestin recruitment, which has been shown to modify opioid effects to a great degree in other drugs.

All of that, and of course, the aforementioned possibility that kratom can contribute to serotonin syndrome in that it effects drug metabolism, but again, this does not seem to be a factor in this case. I have not seen a single case of serotonin syndrome in the literature which could not be attributed to this specific interaction or where serotonin syndrome seemed a likely outcome regardless of kratom usage.

For this case, maybe there is an additive effect between kratom and mirtazapine in their matching 5-HT2A antagonism, or adrenergic effects, but neither of these are much related to serotonin syndrome.

I think we could probably rule out serotonin syndrome entirely on the basis of symptoms, at this point. If @Alex113's sister does not have some significant configuration of fever, pupil dilation, sweating, overactive reflexes, nausea/diarrhea, etc., then there is no need to discuss further, I think.

YippeeKi YOW !!

Beyond trying to correct the record, I have no interest in continuing in what seems to be your inexhaustible efforts to defend your positions and statements. My concerns center around @Alex113 ‘s sister’s distress. I’ve said what I have to say regarding that, anything further will just devolve into an endless back and forth about who’s right, which I have zero interest in pursuing.
However, I believe you are seriously overstating the 'tolerance withdrawal' phenomenon which is to my knowledge not guaranteed or even necessarily common.
No, I did not. I simply exceeded your level of knowledge on this subject. Tolerance withdrawal is a well-known condition, except by Drs who prescribe these drugs, and the pharma companies that rake in ENORMOUS amounts of money from them.
In fact, it would really help me if you could link me to a literature review or something which sheds some light on the phenomenon, because unless there is some data out there on the epidemiology or at least pathophysiology of it, then we are both basing our opinions on anecdote and have no reason to quibble much further about it other than to agree 'it could be a factor, who knows'.
Happy to.
These should get you started. You can find a lot more in a short google search. I'm surprized you couldnt find them before ...

In fact, you can find an enormous amount of information right here on PR, since many members have experienced this first hand. Try doing a search for 'BENZODIAZEPINES' in the site search window at the top right of every page, and expand it from there.

I also want to reiterate that @Alex113's sister has been using lorazepam for 2.5 years, at a dosage only slightly elevated (if at all) from typical introductory dosages.
Again, no. The usual and most acceptably responsible prescribing of drugs like Ativan are starting doses of 0.25 mgs 2x a day.

@Alex113 ‘s sister has been taking approximately a bit more than 8 times that much, and the drug long since lost its anxiolytic effects and has most probably precipitated tolerance withdrawal symptoms.

Someone who very gradually weans down from a single, even if prolonged, course of benzodiazepines stands a great chance of more-or-less full recovery in a way that someone with kindled neurons does not.
Again, this is the fairy tale that’s somehow survived decades of contrary evidence. Most patients finally undertaking a weaning or tapering process in an effort to get off a benzo have raised their dose several times prior to that, so under your definition of ‘kindling’, they’ve already kindled their system at least once, and possibly multiple times.

Weaning down from long-term use of a benzo, particularly a shorter-acting benzo, is an agonizing, horrible, demanding exercise in self discipline and mortmain determination, and most patients, understandably (since there's rarely if ever, any help from the original prescribing Dr), fail miserably on at least their first try, and often several others after that, and return to a higher dose of whatever benzo they were on, because they simply can’t take the extended and relentless agony involved in getting off.

However, I believe you are seriously overstating the 'tolerance withdrawal' phenomenon which is to my knowledge not guaranteed or even necessarily common.
It is both guaranteed and extremely common. What’s uncommon are successful efforts to get off these drugs, which often takes years and a gritty determination that frequently has to be worked up to, following one or more failed efforts, and repeated returns to the drug in question.
In fact, it would really help me if you could link me to a literature review or something which sheds some light on the phenomenon, because unless there is some data out there on the epidemiology or at least pathophysiology of it, then we are both basing our opinions on anecdote and have no reason to quibble much further about it other than to agree 'it could be a factor, who knows'
I’ve done so above. There’s a lot more, and I’m surprised that you were unable to find anything. I’m basing my opinions on fact, not anecdotal evidence, like that which you cited in your first post regarding this, above.

I think you should go and read a little more about kindling. It is not something that necessarily entails 'tolerance withdrawal', and most typically occurs during repeated instances of withdrawal from benzodiazepines (whether the same or different from prior use) or other GABAergic sedatives such as alcohol, barbiturates, etc.
Again, you’re misquoting and reshaping what I’ve said, in response to your inaccurate statement, hich I've posted for you, below ….
Not everyone who is dependent on benzodiazepines experiences 'tolerance withdrawal', and generally the mechanism of this phenomenon is tied to a sort of small-scale gradual kindling effect caused by failing to achieve steady state of the drug.
Throwing in references to other GABAergic substances like alcohol and barbiturates muddies the waters and confuses the basic topic, which is whether or not @Alex113 ‘s sister is suffering from tolerance withdrawal, which I have stated that I believe she might be, not whether or not you’re accurate in your evaluations of the action and effects of benzos generally.
There are a host of physiological changes that happening during acute cold-turkey withdrawal from these drugs that, after repeated instances of withdrawal, in aggregate, sensitize neurons in a way that makes withdrawal more severe.
Again, this has little or nothing to do with whether or not @Alex113 ‘s sister is undergoing tolerance withdrawal, since we weren’t really discussing cold-turkey withdrawal, beyond my comparing tolerance withdrawal to a less intense and differently-triggered reaction to the hugely diminished effectiveness of benzos like lorazepam.
There is not a huge amount of literature on the phenomenon of 'tolerance withdrawal' that I've been able to find but I remember reading the theory that it is related to kindling that occurs on a small scale inter-dose.
Again, inaccurate. Please browse the sites and sources I’ve posted for you, above.
The main challenges in achieving a steady state of benzodiazepine merely have to do with how quickly the body eliminates the drug and how often the patient can feasibly dose. Now, whether a steady state ameliorates the issues you are talking about is a somewhat different thing.
I will repeat, THERE IS NO STEADY STATE OF BENZODIAZEPINE DOSING.

By it’s very nature and method of action, it’s guaranteed to require a higher and higher dose to maintain the original effect. Benzos aren’t like anti-d’s, which involve getting to a prescribed level, usually requiring 4 to 6 weeks of taking the drug in question, before the drug can be effective, and maintaining that level for optimum effect.....

but in any case these reductions are tied homeostatically to the increased efficacy of GABA at GABA-A receptors for a given steady state of benzodiazepine.
I’m not sure how many times I can say this, but once again …. there is no steady state of benzodiazepines. Their effectiveness diminishes consistently over a period of time, often as little as 2 to 4 weeks, rarely if ever more than 4 months at the outside, and after that, you need more of the same drug to achieve the original results or you will inevitably experience tolerance withdrawal.
This is a huge misconception - dosing inconsistently is the exact trigger for the kindling phenomenon, as is seen strikingly more often in, say, binge-drinkers who are dosing as inconsistently as possible,
Again, you’re muddying the waters by bringing in the effect of other GABAergic substances like alcohol.

That’s not the issue. Once again, the issue is whether or not @Alex113 ‘s sister is experiencing tolerance withdrawal, and whether or not that might be exacerbating her other reactions and difficulties. This is a human life, not a debate arena.

Either way, I’ve said my piece, and won’t be responding further, unless @Alex113 has questions or concerns regarding any of this, which I'll be happy to respond to.

katabasis

Beyond trying to correct the record, I have no interest in continuing in what seems to be your inexhaustible efforts to defend your positions and statements. My concerns center around @Alex113 ‘s sister’s distress. I’ve said what I have to say regarding that, anything further will just devolve into an endless back and forth about who’s right, which I have zero interest in pursuing.

I am continuing to defend my position because you have failed to convince me otherwise and are sharing misleading opinions about benzodiazepines. Your concern is apparently for the original poster but you still posted just now another long contribution to our argument, so I don't know what to make of that. I too feel that we are probably not serving the original poster's request at this point but I feel obligated to correct you on a topic that is probably relevant to many people who use these forums.

No, I did not. I simply exceeded your level of knowledge on this subject. Tolerance withdrawal is a well-known condition, except by Drs who prescribe these drugs, and the pharma companies that rake in ENORMOUS amounts of money from them.

It honestly frightens me how sure you are about all this. I agree that there are various vested interests in the prescribing of benzodiazepines, but the absolute lack of attention to this supposedly common issue in the scientific literature is telling. The pharmaceutical industry has not been able to successfully blackball scientific data on psilocybin or ketamine to treat depression, or the lack of efficacy of SSRIs -- what makes this somehow different?
Happy to.
These should get you started. You can find a lot more in a short google search. I'm surprized you couldnt find them before ...

In fact, you can find an enormous amount of information right here on PR, since many members have experienced this first hand. Try doing a search for 'BENZODIAZEPINES' in the site search window at the top right of every page, and expand it from there.

For the most part, the sites you have listed here are not scientific publications. I feel a site like 'benzobuddies.com' may not be the most reliable source of information about the topic we are discussing, regardless of whether their hearts are in the right place, so to speak. The exceptions here are the Ashton Manual, which I hold in high regard, and that last link to the a paper from the British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology. However neither of these actually use the term 'tolerance withdrawal' or appear to discuss anything like what you are describing. I have to wonder whether you are still confusing that term with the idea of withdrawal or tolerance more generally, in some way.

Again, no. The usual and most acceptably responsible prescribing of drugs like Ativan are starting doses of 0.25 mgs 2x a day.

@Alex113 ‘s sister has been taking approximately a bit more than 8 times that much, and the drug long since lost its anxiolytic effects and has most probably precipitated tolerance withdrawal symptoms.

Per the NHS - https://www.nhs.uk/medicines/lorazepam/how-and-when-to-take-lorazepam/

The usual dose is:
  • anxiety in adults – 1mg to 4mg each day. Your doctor will tell you how often you need to take it
  • sleeping problems in adults – 1mg to 2mg before bedtime (lorazepam will start to work in around 20 to 30 minutes)
  • a pre-med for adults – 2mg to 3mg the night before the procedure and then 2mg to 4mg about 1 to 2 hours before your procedure
  • a pre-med for children aged 5 years to 11 years – the dose will depend on the child's weight
  • a pre-med for children aged 12 to 17 years – 1mg to 4mg either the night before the procedure or at least 1 hour before the procedure, or both
You can also look up the Mayo Clinic recommendations for dosage which are pretty similar. It is true some people take sub milligram dosages of lorazepam, usually for anxiety or panic disorder. But the dosage in this case is not beyond the pale as a starter dosage. I agree it's probably not having much of an effect at this point, but again, there's no reason to think it will cause tolerance withdrawal.

Again, this is the fairy tale that’s somehow survived decades of contrary evidence. Most patients finally undertaking a weaning or tapering process in an effort to get off a benzo have raised their dose several times prior to that, so under your definition of ‘kindling’, they’ve already kindled their system at least once, and possibly multiple times.

Weaning down from long-term use of a benzo, particularly a shorter-acting benzo, is an agonizing, horrible, demanding exercise in self discipline and mortmain determination, and most patients, understandably (since there's rarely if ever, any help from the original prescribing Dr), fail miserably on at least their first try, and often several others after that, and return to a higher dose of whatever benzo they were on, because they simply can’t take the extended and relentless agony involved in getting off.

I really think you should go read more about kindling, and also read my previous comment more closely. Increasing the dosage of benzodiazepine does not cause kindling. Kindling is caused upon abrupt cessation or significant dosage reduction of a benzodiazepine or other CNS sedative. Someone who has been on a consistent regimen of steady or increasing doses of benzodiazepine has not yet effected kindling. You keep confusing this with tolerance, which is a completely different thing.

Weaning off of benzodiazepines is neither pleasant nor easy, I never said it was. The main idea touted by the Ashton Manual is to go as slow as possible, to reduce symptoms which might provoke a relapse. But the gradual withdrawal of benzodiazepines from someone using them in a consistent manner does not cause kindling to any great extent. When I say that they stand a great chance of recovering, I wasn't talking, per se, about their likelihood of succeeding at quitting the drug (i.e. without becoming desperate and reinstating their original dose or more), but the fact that if they do succeed at weaning off in this gradual controlled manner, their brain will largely recover, unlikely someone who has gone through abrupt, precipitated withdrawal many times.

It is both guaranteed and extremely common. What’s uncommon are successful efforts to get off these drugs, which often takes years and a gritty determination that frequently has to be worked up to, following one or more failed efforts, and repeated returns to the drug in question.

I agree it's hard to get off benzos, but you are changing the topic here -- this does not support your assertion that 'tolerance withdrawal' is common.

I’ve done so above. There’s a lot more, and I’m surprised that you were unable to find anything. I’m basing my opinions on fact, not anecdotal evidence, like that which you cited in your first post regarding this, above.

Again, the sources you cited are either 1) non-scientific and thus anecdotal or 2) do not discuss the topic of 'tolerance withdrawal'.

Again, you’re misquoting and reshaping what I’ve said, in response to your inaccurate statement, hich I've posted for you, below

I am trying to address everything you are saying as forthrightly and accurately as I can, but it is difficult because you keep mixing up your terminology and bringing in points that are tangential to the thing we are apparently trying to discuss.

Throwing in references to other GABAergic substances like alcohol and barbiturates muddies the waters and confuses the basic topic, which is whether or not @Alex113 ‘s sister is suffering from tolerance withdrawal, which I have stated that I believe she might be, not whether or not you’re accurate in your evaluations of the action and effects of benzos generally.

I don't think it is 'muddying the waters' to mention offhandedly that kindling occurs for not just benzos but most CNS depressant drugs. It is good information for the layperson to know, and it seems especially necessary for me to be extremely thorough in my explanations since you have still failed to grasp what the concept of 'kindling' actually is. And also since the idea of kindling is subsidiary to the point about what actually might cause cases of 'tolerance withdrawal' which is, as you point out, the main subject here.

Again, this has little or nothing to do with whether or not @Alex113 ‘s sister is undergoing tolerance withdrawal, since we weren’t really discussing cold-turkey withdrawal, beyond my comparing tolerance withdrawal to a less intense and differently-triggered reaction to the hugely diminished effectiveness of benzos like lorazepam.

Again, tolerance withdrawal is probably connected with kindling on the level of pathophysiology. I was trying to find a common basis of understanding about what tolerance withdrawal so we can actually have a productive discussion about it. So far you have not given me any substantive information about what is actually happening in the brain during tolerance withdrawal.

Again, inaccurate. Please browse the sites and sources I’ve posted for you, above.

I have, but again, I don't think it's responsible to base your beliefs on non-scientific articles that do not actually do any due diligence to ensure their ideas match up with the reality of the situation.

I will repeat, THERE IS NO STEADY STATE OF BENZODIAZEPINE DOSING.

By it’s very nature and method of action, it’s guaranteed to require a higher and higher dose to maintain the original effect. Benzos aren’t like anti-d’s, which involve getting to a prescribed level, usually requiring 4 to 6 weeks of taking the drug in question, before the drug can be effective, and maintaining that level for optimum effect.....
I’m not sure how many times I can say this, but once again …. there is no steady state of benzodiazepines. Their effectiveness diminishes consistently over a period of time, often as little as 2 to 4 weeks, rarely if ever more than 4 months at the outside, and after that, you need more of the same drug to achieve the original results or you will inevitably experience tolerance withdrawal.

Please allow me to point out another instance here of you misusing terminology. The term 'steady state' has a precise meaning, namely that there is a relatively consistent concentration of a drug in the blood or body tissue. You are misusing the term to talk about the subjective therapeutic effects of the drug. It's true that a steady state of benzodiazepine in the blood will over time fail to sustain therapeutic effects.

This may seem like a minor point but how are we supposed to have a productive discussion if you are not using words to mean things in the same way as most people conversant in the subject? How can a person reach a well-reasoned understanding of anything without knowing its basic conceptual vocabulary?

Again, you’re muddying the waters by bringing in the effect of other GABAergic substances like alcohol.

That’s not the issue. Once again, the issue is whether or not @Alex113 ‘s sister is experiencing tolerance withdrawal, and whether or not that might be exacerbating her other reactions and difficulties. This is a human life, not a debate arena.

Either way, I’ve said my piece, and won’t be responding further, unless @Alex113 has questions or concerns regarding any of this, which I'll be happy to respond to.

You have very much been a willing participant to this session of mutual nit-picking, so don't turn around and pretend like you can take the high road about who cares most about the original poster's situation. I agree we should probably try to limit this kind of discussion if it arises in the future, but as I said before, I feel obligated to correct misinformation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.