• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Illness-related dreams

Artemisia

Place to log / discuss our dreams related to illness here.

Last night:

I'm on the second level of some building. A bunch of people are on that upper level with me. Seems to be a shed house made of plywood.

I start to descend on a ladder. It's a flimsy ladder and falls out from under me. So I grab the floor of the second story and hang suspended in mid-air, asking for someone to help. They all just stand there watching. I know I can't hold myself there for long but no one moves

This is how I feel in life -- hanging in the air, about to crash to my imminent demise and everyone stands around and watches.

feel free to post your own

Last edited:
I find a lot of comfort in my dreams usually; I'm my old self and pretty often hang out with friends. I also dream about work and sometimes I'm surprised how well I'm able to do work and that's when I realise I'm dreaming and wake up. Waking up from nice dreams to waking reality can be confronting, but other times the afterglow is really soothing.

Last edited:

Artemisia

Last night's dream.

I'm out with some friends, trying to pretend not to be sick so I can feel normal. I get separated from them and see a booth for ME awareness. Several people are working there. One of them talks to me and says grains are not good for people with ME. I try to ask if oatmeal is okay but I'm crashing and I can't get the words out.

This dream is kind of annoying to me. I was gluten-free and very limited grains for maybe 10 years. I don't know if it really helped all that much but it felt like something I needed to do. I can be very regimented about my diet.

But lately I've been eating oatmeal...and also long fermented sourdough bread from non-fortified organic flour that I order online for a pretty penny. I'm just so tired of eating the same limited diet and it felt like a positive step to have a couple slices of sourdough bread a day. But now this dream makes me feel like I shouldn't be doing that.

I guess this raises a perennial question. Are dreams telling me something from a higher source, or is it just digestion of thoughts and experiences from my waking life? I think I get a mixture of both. But I don't know which one this particular dream is.

Last edited:

Blazer95

..and we built castles in the Sky.
Awesome Idea.

I have nightmares of being mistreated and abused by doctors. A few days ago 2 doctors killed me in a dream and i woke Up after.

I think I might have medical PTSD. Lol.

Dysfunkion

I also tend to feel ill in my dreams even if something good is going on but generally mine are pretty wacky and uncomfortable. Like last night in mine I was doing something in some town, seemed to be a social event going on of sorts where I was going around trying to interact with everyone but it didn't seem to like anyone could hear me or interact with me. I also kept periodically finding myself almost but not quite sliding off sudden steep cliff sides in this place as I was trying to talk to people. It was one of those really sad, anxiety inducing one's. Mine always tend to be a really abstract representation for how I feel at the time and what I'm currently desiring.