• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IACFSME 2016 conference agenda is up

Jenny TipsforME

IACFS/ME • 12TH BIENNIAL CONFERENCE • OCTOBER 2016 p34
A reexamination of the cognitive behavioral theory of CFS
Madison Sunnquist & Leonard A. Jason
DePaul University, Center for Community Research
Background: Cognitive behavioral theories of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) suggest that cognitions and
behaviors perpetuate the fatigue and impairment that individuals with CFS experience. The first empirical study of
this theory resulted in a model that was supportive of the cognitive behavioral framework (Vercoulen et al., 1998).
However, an attempt to replicate this model resulted in inadequate fit statistics for a well-characterized group of
individuals with CFS, though the model fit well for individuals with chronic fatigue from primary psychiatric
disorders (Song & Jason, 2005). These studies differed in the case definitions applied and the examination of
psychiatric disorders, indicating that these factors may have contributed to the discrepant findings.
Objectives: The current study sought to reexamine the behavioral pathway of the cognitive behavioral model of
CFS: activity level as a mediator between individuals’ causal attribution for their illness (i.e., belief in a physical or
psychological cause) and their degree of impairment. Moderators were examined to investigate reasons for
previous studies’ discrepant results.
Methods: Second-stage conditional process modeling (i.e., moderated mediation) was conducted on a sample of
990 individuals with CFS to reevaluate the model’s behavioral pathway. Additionally, participants were classified by
case definition [Oxford (Sharpe et al., 1998; Canadian ME/CFS (Carruthers et al., 2003); ME Ramsay (as
operationalized by Jason et al., 2012)], and case definition fulfillment was entered as a moderator of the relation
between activity level and impairment.
Results: Results were inconsistent with the cognitive behavioral theory of CFS. Activity level did not significantly
mediate the relation between causal attribution and impairment (R2 = 0.002, p = 0.175). An interaction between
case definition fulfillment and activity predicted impairment (β = 0.588, p < 0.001); when individuals met less
stringent case definitions, the relation between activity level and impairment was stronger.
Conclusion: These findings suggest that individuals do not reduce activity level due to illness beliefs, as proposed
by the cognitive behavioral theory of CFS. Additionally, as the relation between activity level and impairment
attenuated with increased case definition specificity, exercise-based interventions lack empirical justification and
may not be appropriate.
1. Presenting Author Information:
Madison Sunnquist, B.S.
Graduate Research Assistant, DePaul University, Center for Community Research
990 W. Fullerton Ave. Suite 3100
Chicago, IL 60614, USA
Email: msunnqui@depaul.edu
I'm interested in understanding this better. can't find it elsewhere on the Internet.

Sidereal

It's just a conference abstract, not a full paper. The same goes for the other abstracts posted on this thread.

Jenny TipsforME

It's just a conference abstract, not a full paper. The same goes for the other abstracts posted on this thread.
Ah yes I know that, but this one is a study that has been done. I thought someone would probably know about it or have been to the presentation?

There were 990 participants compared to the 700 potential 'biggest ever study' FITNET participants. I don't think this was a trial though - doesn't sound like they measured changes.

Nielk

Ah yes I know that, but this one is a study that has been done. I thought someone would probably know about it or have been to the presentation?

There were 990 participants compared to the 700 potential 'biggest ever study' FITNET participants. I don't think this was a trial though - doesn't sound like they measured changes.
I was at the presentation. She said that the results show that CBT has no success in treating ME/CFS.

The only benefit could be is for people who have a hard time adjusting to a chronic disabling disease - just like any other. But, it doesn't make people better.