• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I really need help

Lee88

I was on antidepressants for a long time, my symptoms seemed to improve, so I’m thinking they somehow helped my POTs, only in January things started to get bad again, antidepressants stopped working I assume, I was withdrawn from the meds. I can’t concentrate at all, I have the feeling of so much adrenaline all the time. I don’t know what to do, I’m having serious emotional outbreaks because I can’t seem to relax, I’m close to giving up.

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
Hi @Lee88 I don't have specific answers to post, but am sending you good thoughts. :). I find, at really hard times, it helps me just to do one small thing which I know helps me, and rest, and then do something else which helps. Just bit by bit. I wish you victory. :)

Lee88

You might be suffering from (post acute) withdrawal syndrome.

Which antidepressant were you on? And how long did it take you to taper off?

A percentage of patients need to taper off very slowly, from months to sometimes years.
You should visit the https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/ forum for more info.
Duloxetine, I was on it for a very long time(5 years) I was brought off over about 6 weeks. I’m on my second week without them. I’m definitely having side effects from it, but I’m not sure the constant adrenaline feeling has anything to do with it, because I’ve had it before and that’s why they put me on them in the first place.

mattytoo

my pronouns are they/them thanks 😊
6 weeks is an incredibly (dangerously) fast taper for duloxetine, especially if you've been on it 5 years! withdrawal syndrome can include all sorts of things, including exacerbation of your initial symptoms. Many doctors dismiss the need for a longer taper, I took 6 months to taper off my last antidepressant, and that was rocky enough! I'd been on it for two years, and it was the latest in a long list of antidepressants spanning 6 or so years. It might be worth considering going back on to a lower dose and tapering off slowly. It might not treat your mental health, but it'd probably give your body a chance to adjust. Good luck!

Edited to add: I second the recommendation of the survivingantidepressants forum, it has a lot of invaluable information on withdrawal and tapering

Last edited:

Lee88

6 weeks is an incredibly (dangerously) fast taper for duloxetine, especially if you've been on it 5 years! withdrawal syndrome can include all sorts of things, including exacerbation of your initial symptoms. Many doctors dismiss the need for a longer taper, I took 6 months to taper off my last antidepressant, and that was rocky enough! I'd been on it for two years, and it was the latest in a long list of antidepressants spanning 6 or so years. It might be worth considering going back on to a lower dose and tapering off slowly. It might not treat your mental health, but it'd probably give your body a chance to adjust. Good luck!

Edited to add: I second the recommendation of the survivingantidepressants forum, it has a lot of invaluable information on withdrawal and tapering
I was thinking about this, but I’m 2 weeks off and the survivinganti depressant website said you need to go back on quickly, so I’m unsure.

nanonug

I’m not sure the constant adrenaline feeling has anything to do with it, because I’ve had it before and that’s why they put me on them in the first place.

That sounds like panic disorder (the "constant adrenaline feeling") or, at the very least, a very serious anxiety disorder. Instead of stopping medication altogether, you may benefit from switching to a different one as it is normal for these drugs to "poop out."

mattytoo

my pronouns are they/them thanks 😊
I wish I could tell you what will work for you, but 2 weeks doesn't seem too long to reinstate if you want to try that. I went through the cycle of my meds pooping out after ~6-12 months and I'd swap to a new one each time, until this last one. So swapping is also an option, though it certainly has a long list of cons as a management strategy for mental health. And sometimes some people can just sweat out the withdrawal! I know I couldn't, not after so long. I was treating PTSD, anxiety, and agoraphobia & even going down by 15% of my dose every 3 weeks I had at least a fortnight of increased symptoms before they'd settle again

Thinktank

Duloxetine, I was on it for a very long time(5 years) I was brought off over about 6 weeks. I’m on my second week without them. I’m definitely having side effects from it, but I’m not sure the constant adrenaline feeling has anything to do with it, because I’ve had it before and that’s why they put me on them in the first place.

Sure, but adrenaline rushes may also occur in acute withdrawal syndrome.
Have you ever tried a beta blocker like propranolol or atenelol for the adrenaline feeling? I use it occasionally, helps to calm down my body and lessen the anxiety/panic.

I don't think anyone can taper off duloxetine within 6 weeks after being on it for 5 years, not even very healthy persons.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@Lee88
Almost everything I wanted to say to you has already been said, and I restate it here with brif comments, only because I know that I have difficulty remembering stuff clearly when so much has come so relatively quickly.

Also, because I'm slow and fatigued today.
I was brought off over about 6 weeks
Oh no, no nooooo!!! Waaay too fast. Drs always do this, because doing it the right, long way takes time and patience, something most Drs don't have an abundance of.
6 weeks is an incredibly (dangerously) fast taper for duloxetine, especially if you've been on it 5 years!
Absolutely agree. Especially with the dangerously part.
It might be worth considering going back on to a lower dose and tapering off slowly. It might not treat your mental health, but it'd probably give your body a chance to adjust. Good luck!
That could be a very good way to go. It would give you a view of what another anti-d could do for you, and it would also allow you to be tapered off SLOWLY in the event that it produces nil or negative effects.
two weeks doesn't seem too long to reinstate if you want to try that
I agree. Call your doc and ask to be reinstated, pending a longer taper. Maybe don't tell him the "long taper" part. Scares 'em off don'cha know.
swapping is also an option, though it certainly has a long list of cons as a management strategy
Again, not a bad idea. All anti-d's poop out eventually, another one may extend your relief and allow for a long taper after.
adrenaline rushes may also occur in acute withdrawal syndrome.
True. Possibly especially if that was one of your pre-anti-d symptoms, now reignited google.
I don't think anyone can taper off duloxetine within 6 weeks after being on it for 5 years, not even very healthy persons.
So totally totally agree. This is almost reckless endangerment if done by a medical professional.

I hope you find relief ..... and remember, we're all here for you, so don't despair.:) :thumbsup: :woot::woot:

Hip

Thank you Hip, I have been using 2 of the supplements mentioned, I wasn’t sure where to get the flaxseed oil. Also do you take the supplements all at once or separate times?

When my anxiety was high, I would take these and several other anti-anxiety supplements as well all together, as I found they have additive effects.

Last edited:

valentinelynx

It took me a year to get off of venlafaxine (Effexor XR) the second time I did it. For some reason it was a cinch the first time, go figure. Both venlafaxine and duloxetine are SNRIs (serotonin & norepinephrine receptor inhibitors). Strattera is a norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor so I'm not surprised you would have a similar effect on withdrawal. SSRIs have a reputation of causing a similar withdrawal syndrome. Here's an excellent article on Antidepressant Discontinuation Syndromes. The authors note that fluoxetine (Prozac, a SSRI) may possibly be safely discontinued without a taper. I presume this is because of its very long half-life (4-6 days): it kind of tapers itself on discontinuation.