• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I have 2 little kids, am I contagious?

Wishful

I would guess that you are a vector for those viruses, but so is pretty much everyone else your kids would be in contact with.

BTW, your title made me think "Is having kids contagious?" :D Psychologically, I think it is.

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
Yes, kids have little to worry about, especially very young kids. Adults who have never been exposed, that is another story, the older an individual the harder the virus might be on them. Still you should be taking anti-virals and taking some precautions.

It was an EBV infection as an adult that started me on my path to ME/CFS.

wabi-sabi

The question of whether or not to take antivirals, and if so which patient subset they are useful for is a difficult one for us, with many good reasons on either side. There's a discussion around this on the Bhupesh Prusty thread at the moment. (Not sure how to link that here.) One thing I thought I understood from his talk was that antivirals have a place if you have an active infection, but not a latent infection. Which is which is something you need a knowlegable healthcare person to figure out.

Antivirals are not an unalloyed benefit. Dr. Davis and Dr. Naviaux have a good statement on risks and benefits here:https://www.omf.ngo/2016/09/09/viruses-and-cfs-statement-by-ron-davis-and-bob-naviaux/

While EBV played a role in my ME/CFS (I think, but who really knows?), I don't take any antivirals, nor would I without evidence of active infection and an ME/CFS knowlegable healthcare person explaining how the benefits to me would outweigh the risks. That's how my understanding of the scientific research of how ME/CFS works, as well as my own personal beliefs about what health risks are acceptable and which aren't.

Of course, you have to do your own values clarification about what risks you think are acceptable for you and your children, informed with good knowledge from research, and advice from healthcare people who understand your condition.

Based on my (albeit limited) scientific understanding of ME/CFS and EBV, I don't think your children are in danger from you. But, I am not a doctor or a virologist, so I could be wrong. I strongly suspect, that the biggest danger here is the anguish of thinking your disease will hurt your children.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I have chronic active EBV, and enterovirus infections. Should I be concerned about spreading anything to my kids?

I'd mainly be concerned if they were recovering from another herpetic viral infection because ME patients commonly have dual infections. In my case I was recovering from EBV when I contracted HSV6 and that's what triggered my ME. So if they catch HSV6 from you alone and recover they should be fine. Most people have these viruses and never get ME.

Mouse girl

Do you have cfs/me? This disease is not contagious but if your children come from your body, then they do have the potential of developing the disease in life as it runs strongly in families. I forget the exact numbers but I believe a study found that about 4 % or so of the population have the potential to develop the disease. But, then it just depends on factors you can't control, like the pathogens you are and aren't exposed to and weather they make you move you closer to having the disease pass the tipping point. The genetic factor is why many different pathogens and stressors on the body bring the illness rather than say, just one virus like HIV in AIDS. Just know that they have about a 50% chance (if it's just you and not the other contributor of genes who have cfs/me) each of developing the disease at some point so it's something to watch for so that you can get them good treatment early which would give them the best odds for a healthier life. It's got to be hard being so sick and having little ones and worrying about them. I'm lucky in a way that I got sick young so I didn't have kids. Try not to fret too much though, they are here and as long as they have love and support and understanding, they have a much better shot at life than many of us here have had. Best of luck to you and your family.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
One survey of 914 students at the Lyndonville Central School in 1991 found symptoms of ME/CFS among other family members to be one of the strong predictors of ME/CFS in the student, with a high relative risk of 35.9 (other predictors included the ingestion of raw milk, and a history of allergy/ asthma). Again, one small family history study in 2001 found significantly higher rates of ME/CFS in the first-degree relatives of ME/ CFS cases compared with the relatives of control subjects. Finally, studies on twins have shown a higher “concordance” rate for ME/CFS between monozygotic (identical) twins than between dizygotic (nonidentical) twins – suggesting that genetic factors might have an important role.

first-degree relatives (parent/offspring) had nearly three-times the risk (relative risk of 2.70) of also having ME/CFS, while seconddegree relatives (siblings or grandparent/ grandchild) had 2.3 times the risk.

https://www.meresearch.org.uk/mecfs-families/

Rather than having a genetic cause perhaps the underlying factor is viral transmission

Also, viruses can be transmitted in semen.

lenora

Hi....I've had ME for approx. 35 yrs. I also have concurrent neurological conditions that I've had surgeries for (2), congestive heart failure and something called Autoimmune Seizures, a new condition for which there are really no explanations or treatments. I'm a 73 female, happily married for 53 years.

We have two daughters, the oldest is 49 and the younger will be turning 46. Neither of our girls has developed this condition in spite of all my worrying, including through their four combined pregnancies.

We have four grandchildren, the oldest of whom is 19 and the youngest 11. The two older ones live here in Dallas; while the other two are in CA. Personally, I feel that my ME may have been triggered (notice I said triggered), by my husband and his cold sores (herpes VI). I can't prove that, but it does seem rather likely. I've had this for 35 + years, and I can't tell you if it was even longer than that. I did have some symptoms prior to that time, but who knows?

Let your children do as much as they want. Like some said, "Keep an eye on them and get them help ASAP if you detect anything." I would not discuss the perhaps remote chance that they'll develop anything, either with them or their doctor. When they're grown, it's different. In other words, don't plant a seed where it won't grow but may cause trouble anyway.

Give them good, nourishing food, keep them away from the junk food and soft drinks...teach them to understand that their bodies are under their control and what they eat impacts that very much. These are the things I did with my daughters...one is highly athletic, I mean right at the top although she had to quit due to falling and sustaining an injury in the last game she was to play. The entire family is athletic...I can't think of anything they don't do. Do I still worry, of course, but it is out of my hands.

My other daughter isn't athletic, although she has extremely high energy levels. Her daughter suffers from anxiety (the 19 yr. old in university). She is being treated, as needed, for that...and it's between my daughter and her, although I also suffer from it, as does my daughter, and we do talk about it.

Sometimes things are merely out of our hands. We live in an extremely hot climate and my youngest daughter played soccer for 50 wks. of the year, meaning that she was out practicing in 100 degree temps., followed by games. She was on two teams, but finally became burned out in her second yr. of university. That's fine, scholarships weren't offered to girls then (well they were, but I wouldn't have her applying for one as they were rather puny anyway), so academics was always the strong point. Sports is a sideline for children and I hate to see it gaining the upper hand more and more everyday. Still, that's just my opinion and we'll leave it at
that. Call me a fuddy-duddy, that's fine.

Some @texan84 do feel free to contact me if you want more info, or if there's anything I can do to help put your mind at rest. There are so many viruses out there...who knows what causes what, and why? We're still waiting for those answers. If one of your children should develop it, then worry. Until then, just feed them well and don't be afraid to hug and kiss them. No one could have spent more time with children in their arms than I did. I was also the disciplinarian.....you get the picture as it plays out in so many homes. Yours, Lenora.

lenora

Hi....I've had ME for approx. 35 yrs. I also have concurrent neurological conditions that I've had surgeries for (2), congestive heart failure and something called Autoimmune Seizures, a new condition for which there are really no explanations or treatments. I'm a 73 female, happily married for 53 years.

We have two daughters, the oldest is 49 and the younger will be turning 46. Neither of our girls has developed this condition in spite of all my worrying, including through their four combined pregnancies.

We have four grandchildren, the oldest of whom is 19 and the youngest 11. The two older ones live here in Dallas; while the other two are in CA. Personally, I feel that my ME may have been triggered (notice I said triggered), by my husband and his cold sores (herpes VI). I can't prove that, but it does seem rather likely. I've had this for 35 + years, and I can't tell you if it was even longer than that. I did have some symptoms prior to that time, but who knows?

Let your children do as much as they want. Like some said, "Keep an eye on them and get them help ASAP if you detect anything." I would not discuss the perhaps remote chance that they'll develop anything, either with them or their doctor. When they're grown, it's different. In other words, don't plant a seed where it won't grow but may cause trouble anyway.

Give them good, nourishing food, keep them away from the junk food and soft drinks...teach them to understand that their bodies are under their control and what they eat impacts that very much. These are the things I did with my daughters...one is highly athletic, I mean right at the top although she had to quit due to falling and sustaining an injury in the last game she was to play. The entire family is athletic...I can't think of anything they don't do. Do I still worry, of course, but it is out of my hands.

My other daughter isn't athletic, although she has extremely high energy levels. Her daughter suffers from anxiety (the 19 yr. old in university). She is being treated, as needed, for that...and it's between my daughter and her, although I also suffer from it, as does my daughter, and we do talk about it.

Sometimes things are merely out of our hands. We live in an extremely hot climate and my youngest daughter played soccer for 50 wks. of the year, meaning that she was out practicing in 100 degree temps., followed by games. She was on two teams, but finally became burned out in her second yr. of university. That's fine, scholarships weren't offered to girls then (well they were, but I wouldn't have her applying for one as they were rather puny anyway), so academics was always the strong point. Sports is a sideline for children and I hate to see it gaining the upper hand more and more everyday. Still, that's just my opinion and we'll leave it at
that. Call me a fuddy-duddy, that's fine.

Some @texan84 do feel free to contact me if you want more info, or if there's anything I can do to help put your mind at rest. There are so many viruses out there...who knows what causes what, and why? We're still waiting for those answers. If one of your children should develop it, then worry. Until then, just feed them well and don't be afraid to hug and kiss them. No one could have spent more time with children in their arms than I did. I was also the disciplinarian.....you get the picture as it plays out in so many homes. Yours, Lenora.
P.S. I would tell your doctor what you have, but not within hearing distance of your children. Ask him/her to keep it quiet in front of them (at least the name). Patient Portals should be helpful for this purpose.