• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hypophosphatemia, help me understand what happened

A few weeks ago I had dinner at a friends house, it was KFC. Although my diet isnt the cleanest I dont usually eat KFC. I had the works, 4 pieces of chicken and the usual sides. Followed it up with some peanut butter ice cream. I felt like I was having palpitations but just expected it to settle after a couple hours.

When I got home I saw my blood pressure was a bit high and my heart rate was 110-120. I checked a few times over the next 1-2 hours and it wasnt coming down. I woke up the next morning feeling extremely fatigued and tacycardia was still present. I went to the Dr, had an ecg and blood test done. The blood test showed I had low serum phosphate 0.56 (0.8-1.5) and high bilirubin. GP kind of seemed clueless about the phosphate. I had a scheduled appointment with immunologist 2 days later so thought better to bring it up with him.

He also seemed like he thought it wasnt a big deal but ordered a urinary phosphate test. In the mean time I decided to order monosodium phosphate supplement from swansons and try it anyway. The serving size is 250mg, I decided to start low and took 50mg. This quite quickly sent my blood pressure through the roof. Numbers i have never before on my home monitor. 168/115. Normal for me is about 130/90. After about an hour of these bad numbers I took some bp pills to bring it down. Took a higher dose than normal to stabilize and had to continue taking it for several days after. My heart rate was fine during this epsiode which was around 80bpm.

So my question is why would someone that had blood work that showed Hypophosphatemia react so badly to a phosphate supplement of such a low dose? 50mg is also less than 10% of the rda. Considering KFC is more likely to be a high phosphate food maybe my body was trying to dump it? Or maybe it was just a lab error to begin with.