• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to manage Occipital Neuralgia (migraine), Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia

prioris

It is possible that the glutamine in NAG may never reach the brain. I never had any bad reaction that I could remember. It may just help rebuild the colon lining. Glutamine is also used to rebuild stomach lining.

I remember taking a large amount of glutamine for stomach lining. It didn't seem to effect the neuralgia as best as I can remember. Toughening up the gut will ward off those colon diseases that you may get as you age too.

I bought the Poseidon water irrigator. It was so powerful and overwhelming that I had return it. Water wasn't focused enough either. It had no intensity control. I have resorted to swishing h2O2 in my mouth and between teeth for couple minutes. I'll use baking soda also. Make sure you pay attention to your wisdom teeth where food particles can get trapped. Dentists never make a point to tell people about that area.

I notice the Ultra Bone Up stimulates the CNS so maybe too much calcium getting into cells. I will try lower doses instead of 6 capsules.

It's hard to get behind those back molars, but you are right it's very important. I didn't have much luck with that today as I'm still learning how to angle the pik best.

I have the Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser and I like it a lot, you can change the intensity from 1-10. Highly recommended. I've ordered some h202 which I will use with the periogen, low concentration.

prioris

I am currently using low tech solution. I use sucking in the H2O2 along the outside my gums to irrigate it while i am swishing. plus i feel around with tongue. Amazing they didn't have more variable intensity control on the poseidon except for two settings. What were they thinking when they designed it.Another hazard is that the force of water may knock filling out of wisdom tooth. i will revisit the irrigators down the road maybe. If someone has a lot of plaque, it may be worth going the dental cleaning route then home maintenance.

Sucking the solution around is good because of the pulling action, pulling any bacteria out. With the pik it seems like its pushing it in sometimes. I started oil pulling again today which is good for gum health too.

Violeta

I just found this old thread while looking for information about shingles. I've had a very severe case for over 6 weeks now. During that time I realized that the viral outbreak is just an addition to pain in the face and neck that I've had on and off for years. My symptoms match what others have described in this thread.

It's encouraging to see that others have overcome the problem. I was beginning to think that the neuralgia that got much worse with the shingles would be a life time issue.

The ironic thing is that the shingles started a week after I started to try to improve lymphatic flow to possibly clear up the constant right-sided headache and facial pain.

For today I am starting the taurine and switching from potatoes to white rice for carbs. I have been trying to get dietary uric acid as low as possible without cutting out protein althogether, but not sure what direction to take on that.
I ordered two homeopathic remedies, one specifically for shingles and the other one is for several types of herpes.

Violeta

I can't put this all together in a paragraph, so I'll just list some things that are coming to mind from reading this thread and a few others by the original poster.

Magnesium threonate would be a calcium blocker in the brain and help with glutamate issues?
K2 helps placement of calcium where it belongs, possibly remove it from where it doesn't belong?
Quercetin helps correct placement of calcium (I read this with respect to mast cell activation, it inhibits it)
Borax helps correct placement of calcium

I have seen that some of the above involve copper metabolism, too.

So would the trigeminal neuralgia and occipital neuralgia be calcium dysregulation problems?

I have seen that endotoxin causes calcium to enter cells where it doesn't belong, which would explain Lyme or other bacterial connection.

I don't know how viruses cause the calcium to enter cells when it's not supposed to, though, anyone know anything about that?

prioris

I just found this old thread while looking for information about shingles. I've had a very severe case for over 6 weeks now. During that time I realized that the viral outbreak is just an addition to pain in the face and neck that I've had on and off for years. My symptoms match what others have described in this thread.

It's encouraging to see that others have overcome the problem. I was beginning to think that the neuralgia that got much worse with the shingles would be a life time issue.

The ironic thing is that the shingles started a week after I started to try to improve lymphatic flow to possibly clear up the constant right-sided headache and facial pain.

For today I am starting the taurine and switching from potatoes to white rice for carbs. I have been trying to get dietary uric acid as low as possible without cutting out protein althogether, but not sure what direction to take on that.
I ordered two homeopathic remedies, one specifically for shingles and the other one is for several types of herpes.

Just a heads up. There is a supplement called Lithium Orotate

Clinical research has found lithium active in the following functions:

Protecting brain cells from toxicity
Promoting brain cell regeneration
Increasing gray matter of the brain
Regulating brain neurotransmitters
Supporting healthy mood balance
Improving blood sugar metabolism

Pretty powerful brain nutrient. Started on low dose. I am currently using 120mg capsules which is equivalent to 5 mg of elemental lithium. This will likely be part of my supplement regimen for a long time.

Here is a FAQ
http://www.thelithiumdoctor.com/faqs/

I was very sensitive to even the minute doses of methylb12 and methylfolate which caused anxiety, nervousness, neuralgia pain etc.

Because of the Lithium Orotate, I am able to take 3500mcg b12 and 400mcg mfolate. If you have MTHFR, you may likely be lithium deficient. It has helped quell my cortisone levels or at least that's what I believe. I will need to experiment for a while longer to give more complete feed back in a post. I can't tell in what way this will help you but something you may want to look into.

There is some minute evidence it protects against Alzheimers and they were giving the test subjects very low around 5mg doses. I'd like to see preventive effect at 40mg or 120mg. Probably would kick ass. I want to prevent dementia as I age.

Lithium aspartate will cause excitation so MTHFR people should probably avoid it.

Violeta

Thank you, @prioris I will check into that.

I started taking K2 again yesterday, and had the worst night/morning in a couple of days, 3 steps backwards. Can taking too much to start off with cause problems? The burning pain on my face is horrible, and my forehead looks more swollen and red.

Reading about other people's experience is so helpful, thank you for taking the time to put so much information here.

The information about NMDA and glutamate I think will be very helpful. This reminded me that bacopa was very helpful for me, and I am going to start taking it again.

prioris

Lithium orthonate also helps with decalfication. It protects brain against calcium from what I understand.

Violeta

Lithium orthonate also helps with decalfication. It protects brain against calcium from what I understand.
I don't seem to have a problem taking B12, I don't know if that's a good enough way to determine if I need it or not.

I was just thinking about potatoes, they contain calcitonin and are known to upset calcium regulation in some way. I wonder if they affect the glutamate issue in the brain and if they cause the parathyroid to pull calcium out of the bones?

Violeta

I tend to be on the too calmed down side, would that be something to take into consideration? No mood issues, either.

Last edited:

prioris

I tend to be on the too calmed down side, would that be something to take into consideration? No mood issues, either.

here is the thing. a 5mg bottle of 60 costs $6. a 120 mg of 200 costs $17. Pretty inexpensive. You experiment with varying dosages to see if it helps with anything.

If you have any neurotransmitter imbalances, it may help with that.
if you have acumulating tau protein of alzheimers, it will help remove that.
if you have brain degeneration, maybe it will help regenerate it
if you have anxiety, it will help with that
if you have cortisone problems, maybe it will help with that
heck it is neuroprotective for brain

maybe your lithium levels are in good shape. maybe not.
you never know. i experiment with different things especially if it is low cost.
maybe you don't need it now.but may down the road.
worse case, you take it and nothing noticeable happens but it's still neuroprotective for brain.
i'd take it at 10mg to 40mg even if it didn't do anything noticeable but just for the neuro protective properties
it could protect you against dementia. it's pretty low cost to boot.

ME/CFIDS has brain inflammation as central feature ... every pwc should use it to some degree i think

prioris

The dosage is probably the same, the 1st one refers to the lithium amount, the 2nd one to the whole compound of lithium orothate (which contains 5mg Lithium)

No
but i can understand how one could think that

5 mg lithium orotate contains 0.2 mg elemental lithium ... these are capsules

120 mg lithium orotate contains 4.6 mg elemental lithium ... these are tablets

weird thing is the capsule are so big while the tablet is so tiny

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I started taking K2 again yesterday, and had the worst night/morning in a couple of days, 3 steps backwards. Can taking too much to start off with cause problems? The burning pain on my face is horrible, and my forehead looks more swollen and red.
Yes!!! It increases the need for Lysine. Since lysine supps are in HCl form, the acidity isn't helpful (would this be an option?), so one has to avoid high arginine foods for a while. @Lolinda

http://www.sandiegohomeopathy.com/downloads/Lysine_Arginine_Foods.pdf

http://nutritiondata.self.com/foods-011083000000089000000-1.html?

http://tendler5.wixsite.com/highlysinediet

http://justherpes.com/facts/foods-to-avoid-with-herpes-diet/

There might be an adverse link with boron

Last edited:

Violeta

Do you have low estrogen?
I am so sorry you are goig thru this :(:hug:
Hi Gondwanaland, thank you, it's the most horrible health problem I've had in my life. Felt like I was going to die and didn't care.

I don't know about my estrogen levels.

Ah, just saw your other message. Okay, I will have to make sure to take some lysine. I was eating walnuts before it started.:(

I'll look to see if boron might not be good, thanks.

Violeta

here is the thing. a 5mg bottle of 60 costs $6. a 120 mg of 200 costs $17. Pretty inexpensive. You experiment with varying dosages to see if it helps with anything.

If you have any neurotransmitter imbalances, it may help with that.
if you have acumulating tau protein of alzheimers, it will help remove that.
if you have brain degeneration, maybe it will help regenerate it
if you have anxiety, it will help with that
if you have cortisone problems, maybe it will help with that
heck it is neuroprotective for brain

maybe your lithium levels are in good shape. maybe not.
you never know. i experiment with different things especially if it is low cost.
maybe you don't need it now.but may down the road.
worse case, you take it and nothing noticeable happens but it's still neuroprotective for brain.
i'd take it at 10mg to 40mg even if it didn't do anything noticeable but just for the neuro protective properties
it could protect you against dementia. it's pretty low cost to boot.

ME/CFIDS has brain inflammation as central feature ... every pwc should use it to some degree i think
I see what you mean!
I will try it. Thank you.

Violeta

@Violeta,

It turns out that iron dyshomeostasis has been the cause of just about all my pain.

Deposition of iron in the brain is associated with migraine.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22188387

Iron is also used by viruses for replication.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18552864

What a coincidence that you should bring that up, I was just thinking about that a little while ago.

Do you have any thoughts on what is causing the dyshomeostasis and how to correct it? B2 seems to have helped me with that, but something is still wrong. I see the study about viruses that you linked says that viruses can actually cause the dyshomeostasis. I just got two nosodes for viruses in the mail today, I am hoping that will help with the neuralgia, and maybe even with my chronic fatigue.

I have also been thinking for a day or two now that somehow stress is part of the metal dysregulation. One type of stress that has brought on herpes attacks and this time shingles is not eating enough carbohydrates. You would have thought I would have learned and made sure I never let that happen again, but when I remove gluten from my diet, since I have so many other restrictions, I end up low carb. Maybe stress would mess up copper metabolism, which in turn messes up iron metabolism.

I used a couple of doses of the homeopathic remedy iron phosphate at the beginning of my shingles.

Last edited: