• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How Psoriatic Arthritis affects nails

pattismith

0219_Psoriatic-Arthritis-Nail-Changes-1024x683.jpg

https://creakyjoints.org/about-arth...sa-overview/psoriatic-arthritis-nail-changes/

lenora

thanks @pattismith. It's interesting to see one of the symptoms of psoriatic arthritis, although I must say that it seems that a good portion of the population suffers from ridging. What's you take? Yours, Lenora

pattismith

thanks @pattismith. It's interesting to see one of the symptoms of psoriatic arthritis, although I must say that it seems that a good portion of the population suffers from ridging.
Yes I feel concerned about it, exactely the way you pointed it Lenora!
I wonder if it's another medical misogyny fact....:oh-dear:

Why would doctors bother about it if it's a common adging symptom in women?:lol:

Is longitudinal ridging indicative of a health issue?​

The most common reason for the formation of vertical or longitudinal ridges in the absence of actual disease is a lack of moisture and improper nutrition. As the nails age, their capacity to absorb nutrients diminishes, subsequently affecting their growth.

In healthy individuals, it is normal to find some lines from the cuticle to the top of the nail.

In fact, many middle-aged women will often experience some degree of longitudinal ridging, considered a normal aging process of nails.

Nails also lose their luster during aging and may appear opalescent and dull. These nail changes are not indicative of serious disease and instead reflect the failing regeneration properties of an aging human body.

Conversely, the nails of individuals with onychorrhexis often have deeper ridges that can feel rough to the touch. This is because the folds in these nails are deeper and cause the nail surface to become uneven. These ridges are often accompanied by brittle nails prone to splitting and leaving behind jagged edges.

Longitudinal ridging can be caused by various medical conditions, including systemic amyloidosis, nail-patella syndrome, collagen vascular diseases, graft versus host disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.

Prognosis and accurate diagnosis can help in the treatment of longitudinal ridging. Depending on the precision of the treatment, the ridges may completely resolve in some cases.

Although affected nails will not change, new nails may be void of ridging if the underlying medical problem is resolved; however, this may not occur for six months up to several years. In addition, in some diseases, nail ridging may be a symptom that is difficult to eliminate.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Longitudinal-Ridging.aspx