• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How much does methylfolate lower B12 levels?

bigmillz

So a few weeks ago, I decided to drop methylfolate because it would constantly make me depressed. For a good week after, when replaced with TMG, I felt GREAT!

I also added zinc during this time for other reasons (blood test came up pretty low).

But a few days later, I started getting this horrible anxiety in the afternoon hours. Usually by the evening it would fade. Like heart palpitations and everything - very unlike me.

I'm dropping the zinc. I've also dropped the TMG (although I've taken this much TMG before and never had such an issue).

My question is, how much does methylfolate deplete B12 levels? Is it possible that without the methylfolate that I'm now holding onto too much B12?

Eastman

Instead of too much B12, could you be experiencing folate deficiency?

Also, how do your symptoms compare to what were described in this thread: Methyl-B's and TMG = Histamine Reaction? Help.

Doing well with TMG and zinc would make sense since the BHMT enzyme that produces methionine from TMG and homocysteine requires zinc as a cofactor.