• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you cook your legumes?

lenora

Part of the problem may be is that soaking beans is solely for removing gas that forms in the intestines. Also, the beans need to be sorted and especially hard ones and pebbles thrown away.

We've always had great luck in our crockpot. Lentils have more of a benefit than say, split green peas. In a pinch, I'll (my husband really) will extend this to another meal with canned lentil soup. I like bits of smoked ham in my lentil soup. A ham hock will provide that, but you still have to buy ham.

They're very filling and I can see where they'd be beneficial for one. In my days of Cooking I would add carrots, celery, onions and garlic (just exclude anything you don't want). I've never liked beans, but I could tolerate this soup. They also freeze well. Just my thoughts. Yours, Lenora

Rufous McKinney

Other changes in diet that might be helping my digestion...(which is tied to so many other things):

I'm eating a broad diversity of more exotic fruits, because they grow around here. Waters are made with the actual fresh fruit. I don't buy any bottled juices any longer.

Guavas. Passion fruit, lychee-like things, fruits I"ve never seen and have to look up the names.

And no more Trader Joe entrees.

Pretty much the food quality here is excellent, very fresh and everything is made from scratch.

And cheese, the local cheeses are not pasteurized.

ALL THAT combined I think is helpful for me.

godlovesatrier

@Viala it's a nightmare haha, I will be trying pressure cook beans shortly :p

@Mary Ken of microbiomeprescription.com cfsremission.com

For me right now if I play a game, do an activity requiring a lot of concentration (that's arguably 75% of life right there, but specifically, driving, fine motor work (painting, ceramics), gaming (involving a lot of rapid eye movements and very fast reaction times, similair ish to driving). These activities stopped inducing PEM, due to their release of adrenaline + their interaction with the brain, so I guess vastly lowered neuro inflammation also?? That's what I mean by hpa axis dysfunction. For me it just disappeared. Tbh it may sound dumb but I didn't notice straight away, took me a month or so to be like....this isn't my normal normal.

legumes prob won't do anything at all if you're 16s doesn't show low butyrate production, see here:

2021 and 2022 below are the control tests, everything after that is modulated through diet and probiotics etc:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 17.19.25.png

Birdman's gut produces loads of butyrate but he's still quite unwell.

I'd advise getting a biomesight test @Mary to see what state your gut is in, the primary marker here is LPS bacteria, if it's high I feel like cack:

Screenshot 2023-11-30 at 17.20.55.png

You can see how LPS is high in the two control tests, which in my case denotes very bad function, but you can see how it is vastly lowered in feb and march. Since then I have struggled to get it under control but I am hopeful my next two sets of test results will show promise!

(I wasn't eating legumes from May to August fyi.)

The higher butyrate here and lower gram negative LPS (which is mainly bacteroidetes but others too) is what I believe seems to have such a massive effect. I'd be surprised if it put me in remission tho but 90% feels truly amazing.

godlovesatrier

Pressure cooking worked! From dry. Chickpeas were still a bit hard but I reckon it'd work for butter beans as well. Chickpeas need 50 mins, butter beans prob the same I guess. I think soaking beforehand would be even softer (like canned).

Yes, soaking before would be even softer.

Also if you add a little of an acidic medium to the soaking water. Lemon or apple cider vinegar or other.

There are also smaller chickpeas available, if you don't already have those. Or split chickpeas.

Viala

Pressure cooking worked! From dry. Chickpeas were still a bit hard but I reckon it'd work for butter beans as well. Chickpeas need 50 mins, butter beans prob the same I guess. I think soaking beforehand would be even softer (like canned).

I'm glad you found a solution :thumbsup: With soaking they'd probably be lovely and just perfect, and soaking leaches the antinutrients out.