• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hormonal Cycle

golden

I am going to try to treat directly the symptoms of my Hormonal Cycle because its been unbearable. Just getting back on my feet from it today.

My initial protocol/plan was to manually drain the lymph using the perrin technique plus homeopathic remedies, correcting the spine to allow fluid and toxins to drain from the brain...

once this happens this would allow the Hypothalamus to self correct which would in turn have positive knock-on effect with the Pituitary, Adrenals, Thyroid...

And when the Thyroid is functioning correctly... hey presto...

A Happy Period!

To pot with that plan.

Unbearable.

I have been prescribed 'Femtrol' which is a herbal concoction. I am going to try a teeny tiny bit and hope I am OK on it.

On a brighter note it contains: False Unicorn..

I read this helps with, quote, 'Full Moon Wobbles!' :)

caledonia

You may be deficient in EFA (Essential Fatty Acids). Fish oil is very helpful for me. Due to impurities in fish, you should take at least molecular distilled, if not pharmaceutical grade. I take Sear's Labs Omega Rx, which though expensive, is the Cadillac of fish oils. It works better for me than other brands, and helps many more things besides PMS/menstrual pain, etc.

Since I've been doing methylation, my thyroid and adrenals are greatly improved. I've discontinued my thyroid med because of hyper symptoms (I was hypo) and am awaiting official word from my doc on my TSH test. I only need about half the amount of electrolytes (which leak out due to weak adrenals).

golden

Thanks Caledonia :)

I dont think I could be deficient in EFAs as I make sure I have plenty in my diet, plus Hemp Oil...

In the past too I have supplemented with Evening Primrose Oil.

However its been particularly very very bad.

It got me wondering if women get more M.E. problems than Men....

Can I ask, what your TSH level was? I will have to fish out mine but as far as I can remember it was appriaching 7...

but the NHS doesnt do anything until its at 12. Also i am told in order of most reliable is:

1) T3
2) T4
3) TSH

Thats good to know also about Methylation... I am doing the perrin technique to help this and trying to detox and possibly getting an amalgam filling removed etc.

and Nhs wont give me a full panel thyroid test.

golden

Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)100mg167
Dong Quai (Angelica sinensis) Root Extract250mg*
Hesperidin 50% (from citrus fruits)200mg*
Black Cohosh (Cimicifuga racemosa) root50mg*
Chaste Tree (Vitex agnuscastus)50mg*
False Unicorn (Chamaelirium luteum) Root Extract 3:150mg*
Licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra)50mg*
Fennel (Foeniculum vulgare)

This is the Femtrol concoction...

Plum

I just wanted to say that evening primrose is good for the majority of women BUT there are some (like me) in whom it causes increased inflammation.

I forget the exact pathway but it's due to us not being able to break it down and use it. I ended up in a lot of pain and it made my fibrocystic breast disease waaaaay worse.

I'm not too sure what yr aiming for with the Femtrol concoction? I shall explain by using myself as an example:
I have low progesterone and low oestrogen but am still oestrogen dominant - this is a no no. I have tried balancing things including taking glandulars, herbs and natural progesterone. This has only messed things up further. Mainly because my body can't use much of what I try to give it.

Agnus castus works well as it is meant to be an adaptagen. However, it is meant to be taken from day 14 of your cycle until yr bleed starts.

Dong quai - mixed messages as to whether it's helping balance oestrogen or not and hence I avoid it.

Black cohosh and the false unicorn seem to have oestrogenic affects.

Most women that I've come across are trying to increase progesterone. Hence I'm wondering what your aiming for?

I have had good success with individual Chinese herbs but it's taken a lot of research on my part. As far as hormone balancing goes I've found Perrin has helped as has liver detox herbs and a lot of patient detoxing. It hasn't been a quick 'fix' for me and I'm still working on it.

Am I right in understanding that you do the Perrin yourself? I have been having treatment with a therapist for 8 months now and find it very beneficial. However it does sometimes make me as sick as a pig but I do feel it helps.

I hope that helps? Sorry if it's a bit all over the place - not the best brain activity day for me :)

golden

-Thanks Plum :)

I am aiming for Relief from Unbearableness of Hormonal Chaos.

But I dont know what my hormones are doing on blood tests as NHS never bothered testing them.

I have been doing PT for a long time now and I will always credit it as a foundational 50% necessity in which to build on...

But think I have reached a plateau with it. Am keeping it up each day as its important. I initially scored 3.5 , which was about right .

I think I see your point about the different herbs and their effects on hormones...

It did cross my mind that its possibly a good thing happening with it being so bad - but tbh i am sick to death of people telling me its a healing crisis or a detox reaction when in actual fact its just a deterioration or a harmful treatment/supplement - as I am sure we all have been at one point or another :)

I have stopped all my supplememnts and just having a break (b4 trying this femtrol) ...

Thanks for pointing out the possible negative effects of Evening Primrose Oil to me :) too...

going to google femtrol now and try and understand what the point of it is! :)

Plum

Hi Golden

Pls don't put up with people telling you it's a healing crisis etc. You know yr body best. After trying everything imaginable I have found diet to be the most important thing for me to focus on. Perrin has helped me stabilise so it's added to things. But supplements I only take when they're very much needed AND I feel a benefit from them.

I also don't like supplements like for eg. femtrol. The reason being for me is that if it doesn't agree with me I don't know which bit isn't agreeing with me.

You don't say what hormonal horribleness yr having so I will make a few suggestions. Take a look at this:

http://www.johnleemd.com/store/resource_hormonetest.html

the self test gives you a little idea.

There are alot of people advocating natural hormone replacement and although i see the benefits I am not a fan. Hence I like this lady:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hormone-Her...368823817&sr=8-1&keywords=dr+sherrill+sellman

If yr suffering from PMS type issue then the best thing to try is agnus castus on it own. But of course do yr own research to make sure yr happy with it. In my experience it actually took away my PMS grumpiness.

Just to elaborate a little more on oestrogen. Increasing oestrogen in almost all women is never necessary. This is even after the menopause. Oestrogen causes us a lot of problems and with living in such toxic times a lot of us are oestrogen dominant. Look into xenoestrogens for more on this. Breast cancer, fibroids, hot flushes etc are all caused by oestrogen dominance. So, taking herbs that do anything to yr oestrogen levels isn't going to help. There doesn't seem to be a natural way to fix hormonal imbalances yourself i.e. bring down oestrogen and bring up progesterone apart from through eating a clean diet and reducing xenoestrogens as much as possible. BUT I am starting to get some relief! So it can work even though it's so slow I barely notice!!!

To give you something to think about:

http://endojourney.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/a-list-of-xenoestrogens/

golden

Will look the links now - thanks :)

Hormonal Horribleness - yes :)

I havent explained it because it felt utterly inexplainable.... there just isnt words for it...

having said that... you know, its just the body doing its thing, fortunately I have enough grounding or whatever to just let it pass or let go... or whatever... i am irritating myself now with new age jargon!

Yes I need a pause for thought. I too know inherently not to go near thyroid replacement route as I think I woukdnt make it back from damage and be forever juggling...

Plum

Golden - feel free to send me a personal message if you want. I'm happy to help if I can :)

golden

Thanks Plum - :)

I OK now...

The only major difference this month (that I can remember) was starting drinking green tea again and i had a lot (3 mugs a day)...

I will look to see if that can cause anything...

golden

I did the test. And only scored one on each... . Section 5 I dont feel I can answer because I dobt know if I have PCOS or am infertile etc.... could be this one...

Section 6 i ticked a few things - so it pointing to Adrenal fatigue/ cortisol... I wonder if the green tea has made my adrenal fatigue worse ...

Again though tests needed - tests which the NHS wont give me because they are too busy giving pregnant women who say they dont smoke, smoking tests!

And i cant pay presently.

Something to follow up when head fog clearer...

golden

ADRENAL MIXED THYROID

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-symptoms-matrix

This is pointing for me towards Adrenal problems... I found this chart/ test has some CLEAR distinctions in categories for me. Includng most of my White Blood Count tests are low normal...

So, next step is to commit to getting an adrenal saliva test?

I wish we had American style Naturopaths in England who would do this for me :(

Plum

A good nutritional therapist will sort this out for you. Think the test is £110. Look for one through BANT. There are Naturopaths in the UK but I'm yet to find someone I like.

golden

A good nutritional therapist will sort this out for you. Think the test is £110. Look for one through BANT. There are Naturopaths in the UK but I'm yet to find someone I like.

My Perrin Practitioner is a Naturopath but doesnt do these tests. Also whilst I like ger, I think she has mis guided me on several things - but also imparted invaluable additional advice.

I will look up Bant and see who I can find. The American Naturopaths are more like Doctors I think whereas in he UK we are just advised to go to the G.P. which , when you want a Naturopathic Doctor - this is frustrating.

golden

Thinking about it, I might refuse to pay the next Alternative Practitioner who says this to me. If their advice is to go to my G.P. - what am I doing paying them! ....

Want to find proper confindent Alternative Doctors - they have an abundance in America :(

Plum

The legally have to tell you to go to the GP. There has been a HUGE change in legislation for alternative practitioners here in the UK and they are very restricted. They aren't meant to help you with any medical condition. Look into the legislation if you like. It's really become hard for them.

I have found the best thing to do is to find a practitioner who I can get the tests I want done through and then I do all the studying myself. It's the only way to be in control of my own health and progress. Nobody knows my body the way I do. And after talking to a lot of practitioners, I have been given a lot of advice that now that I know what I do about my body I would never listen to again.

Health care here in the UK is not health care. It's best used for accidents and emergencies in my opinion. It's very frustrating. But then I am also thankful because I have learnt a lot and can help myself far more than I would've done if I'd been able to blindly trust in Dr's.

Creekee

golden,

Sorry you're having so much trouble with this. It's a complicated area, for sure.

Re: thyroid
A TSH of 7 is much too high, IMO. Most of us are going to feel best with TSH under 2. If you also suspect adrenal problems (which seem likely), you may want to order a 4X saliva cortisol test. Based on those results, you can self treat to improve adrenal function. Once adrenals are happy, you can better evaluate thyroid.

Without a good doctor or naturopath, it may help to work with someone like this:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/NaturalThyroidHormonesADRENALS/

These folks are super knowledgeable about all things adrenal and thyroid related. They can either help you, or point you in a good direction. With their input, I feel like I've completely healed my sadly-distressed adrenals.

Hope something here is helpful. Lots of good luck with this!