• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

High potassium due to rupturing cells?

wastwater

I had a high reading of potassium years ago I wondered if potassium is released if cells rupture

halcyon

Apparently high potassium readings can be caused inadvertently during venipuncture by causing hemolysis as you said. If the draw was done correctly and you had high potassium it can be caused by other things, such as hypoaldosteronism. Was sodium measured from the same blood draw and was it low?

IreneF

Cells are able to move potassium in and out on their own. High potassium is caused by a number of factors.

If you had this reading some time ago, and it hasn't caused any problems, then it was probably a consequence of the blood draw and not indicative of anything wrong with you. Potassium is released when cells rupture and rupturing blood cells at the puncture site sometimes cause the false high reading, but it's a problem with the blood draw and usually meaningless.

Ema

Usually Labcorp will note on the test results if a sample is hemolyzed. It will affect other results, such as glucose, as well.