• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

„HERVs of the H, K and W types are overexpressed in immune cells of FM patients with or without comorbid ME/CFS“

https://www.mdpi.com/1422-0067/21/4/1366/htm

Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2020, 21(4), 1366; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21041366
Article
Activation of Transposable Elements in Immune Cells of Fibromyalgia Patients
by Tamara Ovejero 1,Océane Sadones 2,Teresa Sánchez-Fito 3,Eloy Almenar-Pérez 3,José Andrés Espejo 4,Eva Martín-Martínez 5,Lubov Nathanson 6 andElisa Oltra 1,7,*

Abstract
Advancements in nucleic acid sequencing technology combined with an unprecedented availability of metadata have revealed that 45% of the human genome constituted by transposable elements (TEs) is not only transcriptionally active but also physiologically necessary. Dysregulation of TEs, including human retroviral endogenous sequences (HERVs) has been shown to associate with several neurologic and autoimmune diseases, including Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS). However, no study has yet addressed whether abnormal expression of these sequences correlates with fibromyalgia (FM), a disease frequently comorbid with ME/CFS. The work presented here shows, for the first time, that, in fact, HERVs of the H, K and W types are overexpressed in immune cells of FM patients with or without comorbid ME/CFS. Patients with increased HERV expression (N = 14) presented increased levels of interferon (INF-β and INF-γ) but unchanged levels of TNF-α. The findings reported in this study could explain the flu-like symptoms FM patients present with in clinical practice, in the absence of concomitant infections. Future work aimed at identifying specific genomic loci differentially affected in FM and/or ME/CFS is warranted.

I found I infected HERV-K by a kiss at end of January 2020. I got results unexpectly by Metagenome Sequencing. I can confirm last year I don't have HERV-K as I had another Sequencing last year for looking for another pathogen.