• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Helping the body detoxify without ill effects possible?

Undisclosed

Hello,
there are a couple of things that are aupposed to help detoxify the body like high dose niacin, iodine and different other minerals, antiparasitic substances etc. I tried quite a few of them and when I often do get ill effects, that could be Herx or something else.
Heart palpitations, stomach problems, digestion problems, headaches, throat problems etc. what is it about these issues and are there safer more effective ways to detox the body?

@amaru7 The body can detox itself. However, that being said it sounds like you are having some serious side-effects to supplements. Perhaps, might be a good thing to investigate multiple chemical sensitivity. It sounds like attempts to 'detox' are making you feel more toxic. Maybe doing nothing is better. I think your body is trying to tell you something.

High dose niacin can have nasty side-effects. Anti-parasitic substances can also do nasty things too.

This thread is now open for further discussion. A number of posts have been removed as they were diverting the thread away from the topic introduced by the opening poster or contained rule infractions.

Please keep in mind that this is not the place to debate "alternative" versus "conventional" medicine. Members have found help from many types of medical protocols and it is not appropriate to challenge their experiences. Debating the merits of a protocol, sharing alternative experiences--fine. But please don't disrupt the threads started by members who wish to discuss a protocol that has helped them.

Thanks.

The thread was about detox. The poster said that what they were doing wasn't helping them. I think members were challenging the concept of detox rather than the experiences of members. Is there a rule on Phoenix Rising that states that members are not allowed to critique or discuss protocols?

If a member states something erroneous about how the body actually functions, are we not allowed to say so. This seems a lot like making up new rules.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Is there a rule on Phoenix Rising that states that members are not allowed to critique or discuss protocols?

If a member states something erroneous about how the body actually functions, are we not allowed to say so. This seems a lot like making up new rules.
Comment: (From the Forum Rules):
Disputing a Moderation decision in the middle of a thread is not permitted because this derails the thread and is not fair to those wanting to discuss the topic at hand…You may discuss the Forum Rules, and Moderation policy in general, in the Moderation Forum, but discussion of specific decisions is not permitted there either.

TigerLilea

Please keep in mind that this is not the place to debate "alternative" versus "conventional" medicine. Members have found help from many types of medical protocols and it is not appropriate to challenge their experiences. Debating the merits of a protocol, sharing alternative experiences--fine. But please don't disrupt the threads started by members who wish to discuss a protocol that has helped them.

Thanks.
So either we agree or we shut up?? One sided conversations are not very helpful.

dadouv47

Actually both posts/arguments about detox from the liver are still there. The posts deleted are the ones where things became more ''personal'' and aggressive towards each opinion and experiments. Nothing wrong about it.

Doesn't mean you can't say whatever u think about detox and organs (in general terms, not attacking the other or his approach)

Undisclosed

Well, I didn't make that rule, it has been in place a long time. I'm just quoting it.
There is no rule that disallows members from posting opinions about protocols. You seem to have made up this new rule. Phoenix Rising has always been open to members offering opinions about protocols.

Please point the rule out that censors members from having an opinion.

Tammy

I think everybody has a certain toxic load and at some point the body can't handle it
I agree. In todays world I think the liver is overburdened with toxins in many forms......ie) pesticides, heavy metals, bacteria, viruses, poor diet with all the added chemicals, pharmaceuticals, etc. etc. When the liver is overburdened it can become stagnant and sluggish and can't do its job to convert all these harmful substances. The liver in many cases ends up storing some of the toxins.

This is just my opinion but unless you are eating a pretty clean diet.........I think it will be hard for the liver to detox properly..............even with supplementation.

To answer your question...........I think most people............especially those with a chronic illness are going to experience some kind of ill effects to different extents while detoxing.

MTpockets

And let's face it, if any of our bodies worked the way they were meant to, none of us would be here in the first place would we? A properly functioning human body is indeed a medical marvel, and requires very little intervention to heal itself. I'm sure we would all love to have a properly functioning body. But here we are. My take on detox is slow and gentle. Listen to your body, and drink loads of fluids. Watch your electrolytes, and go for nutrient dense easy to digest foods. Make sure you are eliminating regularly. Also be prepared to rest...even more than you usually have to. Don't be afraid to go backwards in your dose if you need to. This is a marathon not a sprint. I agree with Tammy, I would imagine most of us are going to feel the effects of whatever we might try.