• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help me with my dissertation research

taniaaust1

There's also the chicken and egg question: what came first, the depression or the ME/CFS? Lying in bed, unable to concentrate, no assurance of recovery, is a recipe for depression. Plus depression occurs with other illnesses, such as heart disease.

It does increase risk of depression having chronic illness (any chronic illness) .. the big point thou is that many of us do not actually have any diagnosable depression at all if the depression questionares for hospitalized patients or patients with severe chronic physical illnesses are used.

Thou the long time Ive been unwell, Ive been assessed so many times in the past by psychologists and psychriatists and told I wasnt depressed throu most of this illness. (I thou currently may be, probably currently are now but that cause Im now traumatised over my current situation thou what Ive been throu).

Me not having depression or anxiety.. was one of the reasons why I got abandoned by so many doctors in the past (Ive had doctors tell me they do not want me as a patient as they cant help). They didnt know how to help my ME/CFS due to that.

Hope123

Apologies for not being more specific in my first post. Thank you to everyone, I am very pleased to have received so much interest and informative relevant comments so quickly. I am an undergraduate student doing my dissertation with a medical anthropologist at the University of Durham, United Kingdom. It is only a small project and I was intending to transcribe interviews from about 10 interviewees. My model of M.E. is a multiple stress model where infections and mental stresses cause persistent symptoms of fatigue and post-exertional malaise, as well as other complaints such as brain fog and poor temperature control. As an M.E. sufferer myself I can appreciate the reality of these symptoms.

The focus of my project is on well-being and how CFS sufferers realise it in their own particular ways. A lot of the social science literature I have come across focuses on the delegitimating experience sufferers have where their perceptions and definitions of illness are disconfirmed by others around them; M.E. being a hidden disability of unknown eitology and questionable authenticity in the eyes of others. Also, I have read about how a reduced capacity for activity in Western society which values meritocratic individualism and self-reliance can lead to reduced self-esteem for CFS sufferers. Whilst these factors are often key parts of the illness experience of CFS, my focus is more on areas to do with subjective wellbeing. How CFS changes people’s motives in life, how they assess their quality of life making allowances for their illness?

The idea of M.E. being a modern malady due to the stresses of 21st century living is debatable. This idea was born out of reading into the ‘lost Eden myth’ amongst the anthropological literature; the idea that humanity was healthier and happier before the rise of agriculture and industrial capitalism. This theory that civilisation has ushered in a loss of authentic happiness dates back to thinkers such as Rousseau. I wondered if conversations to do with environmental toxicity, processed foods and perfectionist personality types relate to a larger discourse suggesting that stress-induced illnesses such as CFS are a product of an ‘unnatural’ society and an ‘unnatural’ way of living.

I was intending to use life history interview techniques to understand how sufferers make sense of their illness. One means that sufferers can do this is through creative hobbies such as painting. How do such activities help them come to term with their illness? The role of acceptance has been shown to have important impacts on subjective well-being with CFS. This can involve stopping searching for a definite solution to physical complaints, devoting more time to positive everyday activities, and re-evaluating personal goals, values and priorities. This has been shown to lead to less depression and anxiety and more emotional stability.

This forum is obviously very lively and knowledgeable and I would love for my project to be of real relevance and benefit for CFS sufferers. So any suggestions or relevant pieces of literature you could provide would be much appreciated. It would also be helpful to know whether there are any other projects being undertaken by Phoenix Rising which members have the opportunity to participate in? Or how my research might be used to benefit the interests of the forum?

Thanks again

Alex

The line about "seek first to understand, then to be understood" applies to your situation. There are a many intelligent people on this forum, including people with research/ clinical backgrounds, graduate degrees, etc. which is partly why you are also getting some pushback. If you're going to do serious research (and I did a thesis as an undergrad which was published), you need to present a coherent overview to your potential audience and I hope you have talked to your advisor about getting informed consent.

Any research should start with a good literature review. That is one time-tested way to learn about the topic, find out where the gaps are, and then do work to fill in those gaps.

How much reading have you done about the science and biology of ME/CFS? Have you looked beyond the humanities databases into the databases like PubMed or Medline? Have you tried looking beyond PubMed or Medline ? Do you realize that some journals are biased against publishing biology-based studies of ME/CFS? I'm in the US but as I understand, the UK tends to concentrate on psychological or psychiatric reasons for ME/CFS more than this side of the pond even. If you need a quick read, look at the IACFS/ME Primer or seek out info from the ME Association/ ME Research UK:

http://www.iacfsme.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=iD3JkZAZhts=&tabid=509
http://www.meassociation.org.uk/about/what-is-mecfs/
http://www.meresearch.org.uk/what-is-me/

The UK orgs may also help you connect to scientists and clinicians who do research into ME/CFS. While you're not doing a biology-based paper, if you're going to do something in the field of medical humanities, it makes sense to know at least the basics of the illness.

If you're talking about how people live/ cope with a chronic illness, there is a rich literature on this topic and it goes beyond ME/CFS to cover people with a host of other conditions. Have you looked at that literature? I can tell you, as a sick person and someone who took care of sick people pre-CFS, I never judge how people cope with their illness then or now. Acceptance is not the only way; for some folks that helps, for others, fighting all the way is what helps. Personally, "painting" is not how I cope; research and advocacy is. So if anything, I would urge you to keep an open mind about how people cope. Here are some lay sources about coping:

http://www.alpineguild.com/COPING WITH CHRONIC ILLNESS.html

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Disrupted-Getting-Twenties-Thirties/dp/0802716490

http://www.amazon.com/How-Sick-Buddhist-Inspired-Chronically-Caregivers/dp/0861716264
(written by someone with ME/CFS)

Recognize that depression is not one flavor. The depression one gets say from losing one's job may be different from the depression after a heart attack. Research shows that the former may be mostly circumstantial/ psychological while the latter might be more cause by biological factors, like inflammation. In the case of ME/CFS, depending on the individual, it might be one factor or both. There's even a study showing that people with inflammation did not benefit from anti-depressants or talk therapy but only improved when given anti-inflammation meds.

And a "malady of the 21st century"? There were outbreaks and cases of ME/CFS in the 20th and even 19th century. It is not solely a recent phenomenon. Not to mention that there are people who live a healthy relatively stress-free life (and I'm talking eating organic, meditating, etc.) and still get ME/CFS. I'd also challenge the idea that people were "happier" or "healthier" in the past. Maybe if you were the lord of the manor but certainly not if you were the Dickens-type factory worker or serf on a farm subjected to the poor air/ water/ diet and with hardly any restrictions on your work hours. You could even look at life expectancy -- from 1900 to now, your average person in a 1st world country gained several more decades of life.

Gingergrrl

@Hope123 Excellent post and thank you for taking the time to write it and include all those links :thumbsup:. I also wrote a masters thesis (nothing to do with this topic whatsoever) in the late 90's and really relate to everything that you said.

Goodness to M.E.

Here's a good place to start with research/background reading: M.E. is not CFS and CFS in not M.E. and there is no such illness as CFS/ME.

Attachments

• What_is_ME_What_is_CFS-1.pdf
    349.1 KB · Views: 3

Undisclosed

I was intending to use life history interview techniques to understand how sufferers make sense of their illness. One means that sufferers can do this is through creative hobbies such as painting. How do such activities help them come to term with their illness? The role of acceptance has been shown to have important impacts on subjective well-being with CFS. This can involve stopping searching for a definite solution to physical complaints, devoting more time to positive everyday activities, and re-evaluating personal goals, values and priorities. This has been shown to lead to less depression and anxiety and more emotional stability

After working as a Registered Nurse with patients with chronic illnesses, I can definitely say that patients are unique in what they do to 'cope' with their illness. A lot of it depends on severity and this goes for any illness. I am not sure acceptance is that important on subjective well-being and if it is why just for CFS, wouldn't this apply to all chronic illnesses? After all illness is illness.

As for subjective well-being, for me, getting ill did not make me depressed or anxious. It made me angry and frustrated that I could no longer do the things I used to do. Learning to live with a chronic illness is not easy but the most soul-destroying aspect of illnesses like ME and FM is that doctors treat like you are depressed and ignore all your physical symptoms (things like a heart rate of 45 bpm, blood pressure very low at times and measured as bottoming out upon standing, unexplained fevers, etc), friends and family basically disbelieving your level of illness. Cancer patients don't have to go through this kind of thing. I think all chronically ill patients go through re-evaluating their lives, trying to find enjoyable activities within their limitations and ME patients are no different in this respect from any other chronically ill patient.

My life pre-1997 consisted of working in the community as a R.N. and raising a daughter with special needs who required constant 1:1 supervision both at home and school. I had little or no time for any creative pursuits. I have more time for them now. I got sick, I think, after very vicious episode of bronchitis/pnuemonia which I never recovered from. I still worked but it was hell. In 2001, my car got totalled by somebody who had loss control of their car on black ice. My pain levels shot up and I caught another nasty virus that was the end of me. I had to stop working and re-evaluate my life.

Acceptance wasn't something that even registered for me. It was the non-acceptance from family, physicians, so-called friends that was the most troubling. I have never come across a cancer patient being given anti-depressants to treat their physical symptoms. I have not heard family members friends say 'you don't look sick', 'when are you going to work again', etc,etc. Perhaps the best dissertation would be the impact on ME patients having to live with constant disbelief from the public, not getting good medical care, having to live in poverty in many cases because it's difficult to get onto disability -- how does that impact people with ME? Anxiety, depression, emotional instability? I say the answer would be an appropriate level of anger. Studies like this are a waste of time because it's all so obvious. The research needs to be about looking for biomedical answers. We have been psychobabbled to death. Most chronically ill patients will experience some form of anxiety and maybe even some level of depression related to loss of health, loss of support systems, loss of income, etc -- it's not unique to ME patients -- it's unique to being human.

Last edited: