• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help! I can't take folate without terrible over-methylation symptoms and need it for pre-pregnancy

dannybex

@PeterPositive that is really bizarre -- zero vitamin D? Were you housebound or totally avoiding any sunlight?

And back to folic acid, wasn't there a thread where someone suggested that too much of even methylfolate or folinic could be oxidized to turn into 'folic acid'? Was that question ever resolved?

Thanks in advance. :)

bertiedog

The serum blood folic acid and B12 tests have just seemed to be non-specific to me, but one possibility for elevated levels could be SIBO. Gut bacteria can produce many B vitamins, especially folate.

Elevated folic acid is what lead me to finally realize SIBO was making me very ill: migraines, inflammation, insomnia, anxiety, etc.
Thanks for this info, I have exactly the same problems and am awaiting my GI Effects test result hopefully this week. When I add in just 150 mcg folinic acid and 1000 mcg adnB12 and 1000 mcgHydroxB12 almost immediately I couldn't sleep and after 3 days ended up with horrible overmethylation symptoms which thankfully settled down when I stopped everything.

I know I have got problems with my gut, I can feel things partying every time I eat despite taking dig enzymes and HCL. I just don't know if its just yeasts which I regularly have a problem with and/or bad bacteria but I do think its highly likely I have SIBO having had compylabactor poisoning in the late 90s.

Pam

Crux

Hi @bertiedog ,

I've read that there can be both yeast, ( Candida Albicans), and bacterial overgrowth, but it's the bacteria that produce the B vitamins. ( I've edited this to not confuse the types of yeasts.)

Some bacteria utilize ( steal ) nutrients too, so, with an overgrowth, we can get deficiencies too. B12 produced in the intestines is supposedly unusable by the host, but, I wonder, because some people have had side effects from taking it, and it can be absorbed by passive diffusion.

There was a time when I would get a migraine soon after having folate fortified foods, then fermentable fiber foods, fermented foods, and so on.

I had very elevated folic acid in the blood serum, ( that's how the lab measured and termed it ), and I had been avoiding folates of all types for some months. I hadn't been tested for SIBO, but the doctor even suspected.

Last edited: