• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Have you ever used the Curable app for Fibro pain?

LaurelW

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the Curable app for chronic pain. My sleep therapist recommended it, along with several podcasts that describe this new bio-psycho-social theory of pain. Many of the recovery stories deal with recovering from trauma and emotional stuff. I've had more therapy than anyone I know, and don't think that's the case for me. On the other hand, if there's a way to retrain my brain to put out less pain signals, I'm all for it. I'd love to hear opinions about this. I'm wondering if it's worth the $75 a year.

wabi-sabi

I wouldn't waste my money on it.

First, I think the BPS theory of pain is (mostly) wrong. If you've already had good therapy and your pain hasn't changed, then I think it's unlikely this app will make a difference.

Second, I think thinking about the brain as a disobedient puppy that can be trained to work better ( at least in the context of pain) is silly. If you're an athlete or dancer training muscle memory (which is really your brain) that's a different thing.

Third, if you want to try this method there are free options. The original doctor who used meditation for treating chronic pain is Jon Kabat-Zin. I have done his meditations for years and found them helpful. They are a powerful coping mechanism for bearing what cannot be changed. That being said, what really changes my pain is the appropriate medications.

Here's his CD set on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Meditation-Pain-Relief-Kabat-Zinn/dp/1591797403

It's cheaper than the app, doesn't condescend by talking about brain retraining and doesn't make false promises about your pain going away in general. I got this for free at my local library too! There's really no need to pay for this kind of therapy. Most of his books should be at your local library too!

wabi-sabi

If you're interested in some reading, The Pain Gap is a good book that explains how women's pain gets routinely undertreated. It's the old story about women are hysterical, so when we say we are in pain it's really just anxiety, not pain. Hence do the Curable app to calm down. I will be reading it as soon as I get the energy.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Pain-Gap/Anushay-Hossain/9781982177799