• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone with severe ME who is completely bedridden gotten a flu shot (influenza vaccine)

Tally

I fear the flu shot and the possible additives in it, but at least it is usually available in individual ones, now, so they do not have the Thimerisol (mercury preservatives) that the 10 dose vials all had, for years in the past, nor do they have the possible interjection that the multiple vials used to have, when the syringe was pushed thru the rubber or latex stopper, multiple times, till 10 people had been given the flu shot, from it, and the same, multiple dose vial was empty.

I am not worried about mercury since I eat fish and probably have a ton of methylmercury in my body already, which is the worst kind, and the amount of mercury that used to be in the flu vaccine is miniscule. I live in a region where people eat a lot of fish and have higher levels of mercury than average and no special medical issues so maybe that's why I'm not scared of mercury.

In my country we get individual vials so that's not a problem either.

I am only worried that the immune reaction and the stress of having someone enter my room and stab me with a needle might deteriorate me permanently, but I agree with you that flu seems a thing to fear more than the vaccine since the virus is dead. It must be less strain for the immune system? Right?

Shoshana

Northern USA
I am only worried that the immune reaction and the stress of having someone enter my room and stab me with a needle might deteriorate me permanently, but I agree with you that flu seems a thing to fear more than the vaccine since the virus is dead. It must be less strain for the immune system? Right?

That is what I personally believe, but I am not a scientist, and am not giving medical advice. I have had to take my own best guess, for myself, about so many issues, including this one.

My guess for myself, that a bout with the live flu, would more definitely cause me serious and significant and long-term setback. And more suffering.
And I feel better, knowing I did something, i took some action, to attempt to reduce my chances of it, by any amount.

Sometimes we go with our gut feeling, on these types of no-perfect-answer questions. I would ask myself, which option causes me more anxiety than the other/
But I don't know the best way for you to make your decision,
one that you can live with thinking about, any better than the other. We cant control outcomes, after that.

It was a good idea for you to ask other peoples experiences on the forum. To get that input.

I myself, found this a very difficult choice, for years, and I still don't like it, but it isn't AS hard for me to decide which risk to take, at this point.

After the research and feedback gathering, as you are doing, Whichever way I could feel more okay with my decision, is what I would do.

Last edited:

taniaaust1

I know but I was hoping to hear from at least one person who is as severe as me or worse.

Those completely bedbound with ME would rarely ever get a flu shot due to inability to get to doctors and most with severe ME who are bedbound are not getting much in the way of medical help at all. Many bedbound ME people get abandoned one could say by doctors. Some severe people with ME are warned against flu shots.

Risks of catch flu should be lowered if you have the same caregivers who are careful with things. As another said, there are probably safer things you can do to help avoid flu.

Tally

Those completely bedbound with ME would rarely ever get a flu shot due to inability to get to doctors

I have the flu vaccine in my fridge and a nurse can come to my home to administer it. Doctors certainly tried to forget about me and abandon me since I can never get to the doctor's, but we don't let them so my mother goes in my stead.

As another said, there are probably safer things you can do to help avoid flu.

Washing hands often and desinfecting objects and surfaces certainly lowers chances of getting infected but if that were enough no one would ever need a vaccine. Flu virus can be transmitted simply by talking to an infected person, and most healthy adults can infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop.

My parents take care of all my basic needs, I can't avoid them. Even if they get vaccinated, they could get a strain that they were not vaccinated against.

It's either the vaccine or risk getting the full-blown flu, no other options.

Cinders66

I’m fully bedbound and had it thr other day. All I get is a sore arm which vastly outweighs flu which would really be hard to manage. Everyone is different but for me I’m glad it’s an option

Tally

I’m fully bedbound and had it thr other day. All I get is a sore arm which vastly outweighs flu which would really be hard to manage. Everyone is different but for me I’m glad it’s an option

Thank you so much for your answer!

Can you please tell me, do you have any immunological symptoms? How often do you get swollen lymph nodes? How about neurological? Do you have POTS or tremor?

Tally

UPDATE:

It's been 17 days since I've gotten the flu shot. Quadrivalent vaccine into my upper arm.

So now the immunity to flu has already developed and I didn't have any worsening. I'm just as horribly ill as usual :p