• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Gut bacteria alter gene expression elsewhere

Wishful

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/12/231207161415.htm

The finding is that a molecule in flax, processed by gut bacteria, reduce the risk of breast cancer.

"The researchers found that the microbiota and mammary gland miRNA are related and that flaxseed lignans modify the relationship to be non-cancer causing."

Just another example of the complexity of the human body. Could gut bacteria miRNA match miRNA in cells involved in ME? From this study, it seems not impossible. Likewise, this mechanism might affect downstream symptoms of ME. Does the miRNA of your specific microbiome interact with the miRNA in your specific liver cells, or muscle cells, or optic-processing brain cells?

I've had several incidents where my gut bacteria has affected the severity of my ME symptoms, and altering the microbiome has cured the problem. Dietary change and pre/probiotics or FMTs may not treat such problems, since our gut microbiomes may have 1000+ strains and it's not easy to simply "edit" one specific strain in or out. The gut microbiome can affect ME, so it needs to be considered when trying to figure this disease out. This is at least a possible explanation for part of why PWME differ so much in symptoms and responses to factors.

Hmm, this could lead to scanning a person's microbiomes and cellular miRNAs to look for potential interactions. It might be too difficult or expensive to do today, but we've seen how technology progresses.