• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great News - 23andme is only $99!

ahmo

Anteah

They are not a medical establishment, so they would not be the ones recommending treatment. But there are Dr. Yasko, Ben Lynch and few others who work with their data (but may not necessarily be Yasko since she has her own test out, not sure).

I want to order Yasko test, but their website does not seem working. I was trying to do it for a couple of days. Does anyone experience any problems with their website holistic heal.com

Johnmac

Rich von K recommended the methylation panels over the genetic tests as the former gives you an idea of what is actually happening in the body's biochemistry, rather than 'genetic tendencies'.

However I found the lab in North America which do the methylation panel to be unresponsive to questions; moreover the procedures for sending samples from Australia to the North America seemed onerous & complex (inc. dry ice, from memory - how long would that last?).

So I got the 23andme test instead. I found their service brilliant. The girl even phoned me in Australia to answer some of the trickier questions. It cost me $99 + $74 shipping, and was very quick both ways.

Anyone know how this test compares to the Holistic Health Methylation panel (the one that Yasko uses) for useful information? They've both been so out of my price range I stopped looking into it, but this looks good. 23and Me is $74 shipping on top for Australia, that's not too unrealistic.

adreno

PR activist
The thing I like about genetic tests is that results don't change. So the results will actually be useful for the rest of your life. If you do methylation panels, results will change over time, and will be pretty much outdated after a few months. You have to do several tests to track your progress. That is obviously optimal if you have the money, but all that testing can quickly add up. Also, your genetic test results will get increasingly useful over time, as we gain more knowledge. Now I'm just waiting for the neanderthal genome to be sequenced.

Is Yasko nutrigenomic test is a methylation panel which you can buy from Holistic Health or just genetic test? I am a bit confused.

Could anyone clarify it please for me?

Thanks very much for your reply Anteah. I always wanted to order Yasko nutrigenomic test, but their website is not working a week already. I know other people in Australia said it as well. I just ordered 23andme, just to start with the protocol and as soon as holisticheal.com will start working, I will also order Yasko test. I am a bit confused what Adreno told that methylation panels will change over time, does it mean that Yasko test needs to be done not once?

Anteah

I think, Adreno must've been talking about Methylation Panel from Doctor's Data http://www.seekinghealth.com/methylation-profile-doctors-data.html. It's not genetic test but measures some chemicals withing your body and can show where in the cycle your methylation process is faulty, and since depending on what supplements you take, what food your eat those chemicals may change the test results may change as well. Geneic test is permanent though.

Johnmac

By the way, I have no clue how to interpret the 23andme results when they come. I've seen some threads here about that, but it's mostly people disagreeing about how it's done.

Is there an agreed formulation somewhere - written by someone who knows what they're talking about, e.g. e geneticist - that's suitable for absolute beginners?

And is that all I need? E.g. do I need to translate 23andme language into Yasko language?

One question. Does 23andMe perform the methylation panel for $99?? I'm not able to find it on their website. I only see they perform ancestry tests, what diseases you're likely to get, what are you carrying to kids, and how you react to drugs. Thanks!

Anteah

Tim, 23andme tests for a huge amount of SNPs some (most of which are those that Yasko's methylation panel tests for). Many of us get the 23andme test and then use http://geneticgenie.org to convert 23andme results to Yasko. Much cheaper and faster. 23andme does not test for about 4 SNPs that Yasko tests for, but only one or 2 of them are of the major essence (SUOX, NOS). Going this "budget" route you will still get a pretty good idea of your genetic tendencies as far as methyilation is concerned. If you are not sulfur sensitive, 23andme is a fine choice, but if it is imperative for you to know your SUOX status, 23andme does not test for a particular SNP that Yasko does, but tests for another one. I know it is somewhat confusing, but this is the best I could explain it. Let me know if it doesn't make sense and I will try better. I am bit of a "slow brain" today.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Anteah, thank you for posting the site for getting SAMe tested. I have asked for that site several times and no one ever responded. It is expensive to run these tests, but I think that after one has gotton one's homocysteine normal (cheaper test) one should check to make sure one's SAMe is also (Rich warned that Hcy normal does not mean SAMe normal). Also I find it hard to keep my Hcy normal anyway, I believe due to allergies. It is much better than it was on plain old B100 (non active) but still elevated from when I took a bazillion vitamins (too many vitamins making me puke).

Also I am very interested in 23andme at that price. I had my Yasko panel run, but even getting a few extra genes is worth it at that price. It seemed like someone indicated the rate limiting steps for BH4 synthesis were covered in this panel but not in the Yasko panel.

Oh darn. I compared the gene reports and get only these differences:

23and me
CBS N212N
MTRR A664A
VDR BSM
COMT P199P

Yasko
MTRR 11
ACE
COMT 61
[Yasko now also reports CBS N212N instead of ACE]

So I'd be getting 4 more genes mapped if I ran this test. Anyone know if any of those 4 are worthwhile?