• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione and Fevers

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I always wondered why so many of us do not get fevers anymore. I also always thought that if we could it might mean a chance to overcome some of this. Dr Ben Lynch talks about that in this VIDEO on Youtube.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7073131/pdf/ijms-21-01393.pdf

"Surprisingly, new studies have shown that low glutathione levels can also inhibit fever. In this review, we focus on recent advances in this area, with an emphasis on the role of glutathione in immune responses accompanied by fever. We describe evidence showing that disturbed glutathione homeostasis may be responsible for the lack of fever during infections."

Last edited:

lenora

Hi @Judee. I don't know if I ever ran fevers, so I'm surprised to hear that many of us don't. I absolutely can't rely on that as a yardstick where illness is concerned. Of course try telling anyone at the hospital or even your own doctor, but it's true. I can be sick, but not have a fever. Thanks. Yours, Lenora

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Just here and there, I've been taking an acetyl-l-glutathione.

I'm dealing with a dental situation/infection and this week managed to get up to 98.6 which almost never happens for me and also feels like I have a fever when it does even though the medical profession would never considered it to be one. However, I wonder if me taking of that glutathione helped me to at least get that high. ???

I think I've posted this paper or one similar to it before. It says, "...there is a substantial body of data, mostly from animal models, that fever—through its effects on immune function—may be an important host defense mechanism [14]. Roughly 20%–30% of elderly persons with serious bacterial or viral infections will present with a blunted or entirely absent fever response..."

Attachments

• Fever in the elderly.pdf
    82.4 KB · Views: 2
Last edited: