• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

For those who have done FMT

Aerose91

I'm wondering where you found the doners? I would want to know the donor's family history, current and past health status as well as microbiome makeup. Is there a place where one can find people willing to partake in this?

junkcrap50

I did a DIY FMT and used a parent as a donor as he/she was the healthiest in my family. I have 1-2 cousins I could potentially ask, based on their health and diet, but think even that would be took big and weird of an ask.

If you go to a clinic or a doctor's, they do the quality control for you. You'd have to ask them what their criteria is, but I wouldn't trust it that much. There is a case study of a C.Diff patient who received a FMT from an obese donor and subsequently became obese because of the donor microflora.

kangaSue

Is there a place where one can find people willing to partake in this?
Haven't heard of any.
FMT is usually a case of d.i.y and generally necessitates finding the heathiest friend, relative or partner you can to be the donor.
If they are a registered blood donor, they have already been screened for any serious blood borne diseases and having them also do a Faecal Multiple PCR test for the the 10 major enteric pathogens mitigates much of the risk.
http://www.abbottpathology.com.au/P...iplex PCR Doctor Information - March 2016.pdf

junkcrap50

@junkcrap50 how many transplants did you do and did you get any benefit?
I did 14 transplants. And yes, I did get some benefit, but it was very short lasting, about a week. I took too many prebiotics to help support the FMTs and I think it ruined the results. I was planning on restarting the transplants, but my donor got sick and has not had normal stools since.

I am planning the same. Healthiest family Member.
@junkcrap50 : did you do Any testing for enteritis pathogens of Donor?
I followed the tests recommended online (there is a diy fmt website, but I can't find it right now). Mostly the stool tests and some blood work. I didn't bother with some blood tests like STDs and HIV since it was a parent and we knew they didn't have those.

Aerose91

Would something like a metametrix GI effects test be sufficient to test a donor? It gives all the inflammatory markers as well as microbiome breakdown and tests for pathogens. I'm not sure if they test for all the pathogens possible, though

junkcrap50

Would something like a metametrix GI effects test be sufficient to test a donor? It gives all the inflammatory markers as well as microbiome breakdown and tests for pathogens. I'm not sure if they test for all the pathogens possible, though
That's what I did plus some blood tests. But it was less risky because I used a parent. I would probably run several repetitive tests on a stranger / friend.

The website is shut down, but you can access it via the Way Back Machine, The Power of Poop has instruction and pathology tests: https://web.archive.org/web/20150314221248/http://thepowerofpoop.com/

I followed all of the Power of Poop's instructions.

Last edited:
Want to give a short update, am currently in the middle of my FMT process. Did 5 x FMT enema so far + 3x FMT capsules. (as FMT capsules will reach the complete intestine. did not have any side effects from the capsules)
Bowel preparation was done with Moviprep the day before 1st FMT, did not use antibiotics. For the following FMTs i do not use any kind of bowel prep.
First FMT was on 07.12.19. I am planning to do 10 FMT in total.
I did not notice any impactful effects until now. No side effects (just some bloating), but also no improvement so far. i was in contact with some other people who did FMT for certain symptoms, it can take some weeks until a change can be noticed. So i still do not lose my hope for the FMT.

Want to give a short update, am currently in the middle of my FMT process. Did 5 x FMT enema so far + 3x FMT capsules. (as FMT capsules will reach the complete intestine. did not have any side effects from the capsules)

Where did you get the FMT Capsules? I know there has been ongoing research for many years but I didn’t realise they were available... or perhaps this is diy capsules but don’t you need enteric coated capsules?

All the best for your treatment and I hope you have great success. Please keep us updated how you go along the way and long term. Thanks!

Where did you get the FMT Capsules? I know there has been ongoing research for many years but I didn’t realise they were available... or perhaps this is diy capsules but don’t you need enteric coated capsules?

All the best for your treatment and I hope you have great success. Please keep us updated how you go along the way and long term. Thanks!

I did the capsules on my own it is pretty Easy with a bigger syringe.
I did 2 Layer capsules, the inner capsules in smaller Size with enterostatic coating and the bigger Capsule just a Standard cellulose capsule. I used fresh Material without water.

Now regarding my CFS it did Not do anything unfortunately. Nor positive or negative.
What it did, i can tolerate Way more gluten than before FMT. Before FMT i would get bloated belly and pain After One piece of bread. Now i can tolerate that without Any Problem.
Had put much Hope in the FMT

I have done 10 FMT in total spread over 2 months