• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food Grade vs. Pharmaceutical Grade

Peyt

Hello everyone,
Due to my digestion issues (related to SIBO), I am highly sensitive to various fillers present in orally taken supplements. The regular pantothenic acid (vitamin B5) supplement, which contains D-Calcium, doesn't suit me well as any form of calcium tends to cause constipation.

I experimented with another form called Panthenol, but it led to severe brain fog due to the glycerin filler. Recently, I came across a Pantothenic acid variant made with Sodium. Although I haven't tried it yet, I usually tolerate Sodium well, given my lower than normal blood pressure.

However, the product is labeled as "Food Grade." I'm curious to know the distinction between Food Grade and Pharmaceutical Grade. Can a chemical labeled as Food Grade be safely consumed orally by humans?

Here is the link for the product:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/225971077907?hash=item349ced0313:g:HEwAAOSwkk1lNgtI&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwEJVy1s28GXyN8/Ru7wto5SLkZLxuCqv34pBjj5UCIgN6Mv0S4FaN4GzUkxWT+weTLX4QB9aMGsqFw4ieByXQEUYNfRJNwAYID2KqVaJo3+3CRQT2A+oR1Sn969HfmhxrwlxR5++madnjJiFqhDnbnO7Gwe8iOScaQqJ0w7agaCiBsOw/wmcLN/XG0FgNA4Uc2MDWLlw+N+PkMLpdV2sXOhxTroKnIKBtmKYeolaJThOy+IpOZ6Hdp1pJ40KtObcKQ==|tkp:Bk9SR-SpqPCmYw

Peyt

Not the question you asked, but some treatments for SIBO given here.
Thank you for sharing the link. The provided link discusses Hydrogen and Methane types of SIBO. A decade ago, I had Methane-type SIBO, and after undergoing tests and using antibiotics mentioned in the article, my Methane SIBO was completely eliminated, only to be replaced by a new type of SIBO called Hydrogen-Sulfide SIBO. The challenge with Hydrogen-Sulfide SIBO is the lack of a clear course of action, and given my previous experience, I'm hesitant to follow their advice.

On an interesting note, Vitamin B5 in the form of injection is administered after abdominal surgery to reduce the risk of paralytic ileus. Here is a link for Dexpanthenol which mentions that.

Paralytic ileus is a common issue for many SIBO patients even without surgery. This is why I'm exploring D-Sodium B5. The injection form is alcohol based, which doesn't suit me well. If I can use the D-Sodium form, I might have found a solution that Western Medicine couldn't provide for my SIBO in the last 10 years of searaching and suffering.

My theory is that SIBO occurs because food stagnates in the Small intestine for too long, leading to bacterial overgrowth. And by the way, this is different from your usual constipation where the waste stays in the colon for too long! Restored movement in the small intestine might resolve the issue naturally. People with SIBO may be deficient in B vitamins, especially B5, as damaged intestines severly hinder nutrient absorption in the small intestine.
Using antibiotics temporarly fixes the situation only for it to come back in 1-6 months max!

Last edited:

Hip

My theory is that SIBO occurs because food stagnates in the Small intestine for too long, leading to bacterial overgrowth.

Yes, I read that prokinetics medications, which stimulate motility — the movement of food through the digestive tract — help prevent SIBO recurrence once you have eliminated the SIBO.

A physician's elemental diet to starve the bacteria seems to be an effective elimination treatment.

Peyt

Yes, I read that prokinetics medications, which stimulate motility — the movement of food through the digestive tract — help prevent SIBO recurrence once you have eliminated the SIBO.

A physician's elemental diet to starve the bacteria seems to be an effective elimination treatment.
Yes, I tried prokinetic medications as well. While they work for some people, I couldn't tolerate them due to severe headaches. Individuals with SIBO are highly sensitive to fillers and preservatives present in supplements and drugs. Substances like cellulose, any form of alcohol (ethanol, methanol, glycerin ), and other fillers such as calcium pose problems for me.

I've heard about probiotics that produce B vitamins, and for those with compromised digestion, these bacteria might have been eliminated during antibiotic overuse. If a future test can accurately determine which gut bacteria were wiped out, and if commercially available replacements for these bacteria become accessible, it could potentially restore gut health. However, it seems that we might be at least a decade away from such advancements.

Hip

Did you ever looked into the hydrogen sulphide theory of ME/CFS, first proposed by Marian Dix Lemle?

At the time, patients were trying H2S binders such as zinc acetate, zeolite, clinoptilolite, B12 hydroxocobalamin and Pepto-Bismol.

H2S binds to cytochrome C oxidase in mitochondrial complex IV.

Peyt

Did you ever looked into the hydrogen sulphide theory of ME/CFS, first proposed by Marian Dix Lemle?

At the time, patients were trying H2S binders such as zinc acetate, zeolite, clinoptilolite, B12 hydroxocobalamin and Pepto-Bismol.

H2S binds to cytochrome C oxidase in mitochondrial complex IV.
I have not looked into her theory, thanks for mentioning. But I have tried zinc acetate, B12 Hydro, and PeptoBismal with no success...