• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Food Allergy Testing -- IgG, IgE

almost

I have discounted it in the past, but my gastro symptoms going back years and my recently discovered elevated histamine make me think a food allergy test may be a good idea. Thing is, I don't really have any external, or obvious internal reactions to food, except for spinach, which makes me nauseous. Since I don't like spinach anyway, who cares? There may be more going on inside, however.

There are lots of opinions out there, namely like this and this that suggest that only IgE tests are worthwhile. I can expect to some extent they are talking up their own book, but some do make sense. What experiences have you had? Are there companies or tests you think are reliable, or not reliable? Once again, I appreciate any input. Thank you.

There is also the whole crazy world of mcas. In mcas they often don't know why it makes your mast cells go crazy and release tons of stuff that causes allergic type responses. Histamine is one of them but not the only one. Mcas patients often try to manage by eating low histamine diets. Spinach is very high in histamine.

Like so many things for mcas there is not a reliable test. They like measuring tryptase but even the by the book people admit it can be low and you still have issues. There are a number of tests run out of the Mayo Clinic where you take urine sample and keep it cold from collection to the lab and get it process in like 24-48 hrs. It's a huge logistical mess getting it set up and you have to do it in the middle of a reaction.

Best wishes with your problem solving.