• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Eye floaters may constitute a risk factor for ME/CFS and Long Covid

Violeta

I think it would rather be a symptom of ME/CFS than a "risk factor", but I do find it interesting.

There are strong reasons to suspect that its presence may be indicative of a susceptibility to collagen degradation in response to inflammatory triggers, which may represent a risk factor for the development of Long COVID, ME/CFS, or related chronic illnesses. Evidence for such susceptibility includes the presence of collagen-degrading enzymes in the vitreous, associations with other connective tissue disorders, and links between myodesopsia and infections with various pathogens.

https://patientresearchcovid19.com/...or-long-covid-and-me-cfs-pghj-issue1-may2023/

sunshine44

Que sera sera
I remember in 2001, very clearly telling my doctors and opthamalogists I wanted this further looked into. I had so many floaters coming on at this point and it didn’t feel benign to me.

In retrospect, it was the beginning of my free fall into this illness.

Violeta

I remember in 2001, very clearly telling my doctors and opthamalogists I wanted this further looked into. I had so many floaters coming on at this point and it didn’t feel benign to me.

In retrospect, it was the beginning of my free fall into this illness.
They do say your eyes are like a canary in a coalmine.

Have you found anyone to help you figure out what to do about them?

I am trying bromelain, maybe I will get some serrapeptase.

If you look at a light through a pinhole you can see stuff floating around. You can also use a very dark piece of material such as a dark wash cloth or towel.

sunshine44

Que sera sera
They do say your eyes are like a canary in a coalmine.

Have you found anyone to help you figure out what to do about them?

I am trying bromelain, maybe I will get some serrapeptase.

If you look at a light through a pinhole you can see stuff floating around. You can also use a very dark piece of material such as a dark wash cloth or towel.

No, I was even in medical textbooks for unique cases of anterior uveitis. In 2017 I saw some super specialized neuro opthamalogist my llmd sent me to.

It was a 1 year flop basically.
I had such high hopes too back then.

Violeta

No, I was even in medical textbooks for unique cases of anterior uveitis. In 2017 I saw some super specialized neuro opthamalogist my llmd sent me to.

It was a 1 year flop basically.
I had such high hopes too back then.
That's really sad. When you think about what is known and can be done in the medical world it's very upsetting when you look at what they don't know and can't do.

Do you have any type of arthritis such as ankylosing spondylitis or any other HLA-B27 gene issues?

sunshine44

Que sera sera
That's really sad. When you think about what is known and can be done in the medical world it's very upsetting when you look at what they don't know and can't do.

Do you have any type of arthritis such as ankylosing spondylitis or any other HLA-B27 gene issues?

I’m not sure.
Before I became bedridden, correct tests were never performed in me for so many things.

Violeta

@sunshine44,

When I saw thus about anterior uveitis, "Approximately 50% of acute anterior uveitis (AAU) cases are associated with the allele Human Leukocyte Antigen B27 (HLA-B27),

I looked up uveitis with klebsiella, because ankylosing spondelitis is an HLA-B27 disease and is caused by klebsiella.

Ankylosing spondylitis is caused by Klebsiella. Evidence from immunogenetic, microbiologic, and serologic studies

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1561397/

Then I wondered if there were any studies about anterior uveitis and klebsiella and found this.

Klebsiella and acute anterior uveitis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1040499/

I had read quite some time ago that aloe is good for treating klebsiella.

Antibacterial Effect of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis) leaf gel against Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31391416/

sunshine44

Que sera sera
@sunshine44,

When I saw thus about anterior uveitis, "Approximately 50% of acute anterior uveitis (AAU) cases are associated with the allele Human Leukocyte Antigen B27 (HLA-B27),

I looked up uveitis with klebsiella, because ankylosing spondelitis is an HLA-B27 disease and is caused by klebsiella.

Ankylosing spondylitis is caused by Klebsiella. Evidence from immunogenetic, microbiologic, and serologic studies

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/1561397/

Then I wondered if there were any studies about anterior uveitis and klebsiella and found this.

Klebsiella and acute anterior uveitis.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1040499/

I had read quite some time ago that aloe is good for treating klebsiella.

Antibacterial Effect of Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis) leaf gel against Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella pneumoniae

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31391416/

Wow

Thank you violet!

This will be very interesting to read over today.

ruben

For me, I got the glandular fever, didn't return to normal health and then after about 3-5 years the floaters appeared. Compared to my other symptoms they're very trivial.

Violeta

For me, I got the glandular fever, didn't return to normal health and then after about 3-5 years the floaters appeared. Compared to my other symptoms they're very trivial.
I know what you mean, @ruben! Blurred up vision is nothing comparied to pain or fatigue. The only thing that got me thinking about my floaters at this time is that in reading some of @mariovitali 's info at twitter I noticed that stuff that is going on in the eyes can reflect what is going on elsewhere in the body.

lenora

Hi Everyone.....@Sunshine44, do you have Ehler-Danlos Syndrome? What are your obvious symptoms and have they ever been addressed?

Thank you, Violeta, for all of the reading material you've supplied us with. Personally, I have Syringomyelia (SM) and Arnold-Chiari Malformation (ACM). I had surgery for both, but it was the ACM that made a tremendous difference. It will take years, sadly, before floaters are seen as a symptom of both SM and/or ACM. We can only bring this up with the doctor ourselves....who knows, he/she may have heard of it. Out of interest, I never had floaters and still don't at age 76. Amazing, isn't it? Yours Lenora

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Hi Everyone.....@Sunshine44, do you have Ehler-Danlos Syndrome? What are your obvious symptoms and have they ever been addressed?

Thank you, Violeta, for all of the reading material you've supplied us with. Personally, I have Syringomyelia (SM) and Arnold-Chiari Malformation (ACM). I had surgery for both, but it was the ACM that made a tremendous difference. It will take years, sadly, before floaters are seen as a symptom of both SM and/or ACM. We can only bring this up with the doctor ourselves....who knows, he/she may have heard of it. Out of interest, I never had floaters and still don't at age 76. Amazing, isn't it? Yours Lenora

Hi Lenora, it’s possible. It’s been suggested I have multiple autoimmune ‘dis’eases from Lyme. There are a handful of names in my head but I fell so hard and so quick and unfortunately you know the rest of the story… the healthcare system mostly abandoned me (bedridden) before I got those types of diagnoses. I know the llmd and cardiologist I saw in 2017/2018 both suggested it’s likely I have ‘hundreds’ of autoimmune conditions. Although they were each exaggerating, I think you catch their gist.

Back in 2002, the anterior uevetis episodes were given topical steroids. I eventually began having reactions to steroids though unfortunately although I was able to finish both rounds of that back then.

JasonPerth

My ME started post virus in 2016-
Mild 2016-2022
This year as i suddenly went from Mild to Housebound/Bedbound i randomly got the Eye floaters aswell 1-2 months into the deterioration.
Other new symptoms to me are all over joint clicking, aggrivated stomach/Gi, insomnia(pots,mcas symptoms too i believe)
Had none of these 2016-2022

Tammy

@ruben , I've taken a number of natural anti-virals for the past 8 years. Here is the list of the main anti-virals that I've taken. I don't take all of these at one time. I like to switch it up at times and rotate them. I try and keep at least 2-3 anti-virals in my system at all times to keep EBV at bay.

List:
Licorice root
L-Lysine
Cats Claw
Propolis
Lemon Balm

There is more to my anti-viral program. I follow the suggestions made by Anthony William.

Last edited:

ruben

I think it would rather be a symptom of ME/CFS than a "risk factor", but I do find it interesting.

There are strong reasons to suspect that its presence may be indicative of a susceptibility to collagen degradation in response to inflammatory triggers, which may represent a risk factor for the development of Long COVID, ME/CFS, or related chronic illnesses. Evidence for such susceptibility includes the presence of collagen-degrading enzymes in the vitreous, associations with other connective tissue disorders, and links between myodesopsia and infections with various pathogens.

https://patientresearchcovid19.com/...or-long-covid-and-me-cfs-pghj-issue1-may2023/
With me, the ME/CFS came first then further down the line the floaters appeared