• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Expired Solgar Methylfolate?

outdamnspot

I've been using Greg's B12 oils for the past 5 weeks and it's been one of the most helpful supplements I've tried in terms of improving mood, anxiety, calming down inflammation etc. (though unfortunately has had no direct effect on issues like food intolerances, histamine intolerance etc.).

I feel like I'm only getting half the picture and even though I'm terrified of adding in anything new, thought I should try adding in a low dose of methylfolate since I'm still battling a lot of daily inflammation. However, the bottle I have (Solgar's) expired May, 2018. It's stayed completely sealed (with the plastic over the lid etc.) and the tablets are still white/not discolored, hard/not crumbling, and there's no odd smell. So should they be okay to take?

I guess also just curious if some people only really got benefits from Methyl-B12 once they added in the Folate; i know methylation has been covered a lot here but I have no idea what to expect.

pamojja

However, the bottle I have (Solgar's) expired May, 2018. It's stayed completely sealed (with the plastic over the lid etc.) and the tablets are still white/not discolored, hard/not crumbling, and there's no odd smell. So should they be okay to take?

Personally I would still use expired supplements. In most cases they just lost a small percentage of effectiveness. But since you seem to never have used it before, I would start very low by splitting the tablets and starting with a quarter.

Art Vandelay

I've recently looked into this issue due to expired B12 lozenges. Apparently B group vitamins can lose potency over time because they are water soluble, but they should still be safe to take.

outdamnspot

Thanks. I didn't have a pill cutter, so ended up taking a 400mcg dose. I woke up the next day with more energy but also felt profoundly depressed. I'm aware methylation can trigger 'detox' symptoms, but I checked my old posts from 3 years ago when I was experimenting with methylfolate and the mood symptoms seemed to persist unabated over the course of a week with continuous use, so I felt it wasn't really worth trying to push through right now.