• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

[Epilepsy] drug shown to alleviate Autism-associated behavior in mouse models

Mary

Moderator Resource
Drug Shown to Alleviate Autism-Associated Behavior - Neuroscience News

The transcription factor MYT1L normally protects the molecular identity of nerve cells. If it is genetically switched off in human nerve cells or in mice, the functional changes and symptoms typical of autism occur.

A drug that blocks sodium channels in the cell membrane can reverse the consequences of MYT1L failure and alleviate the functional and behavioral abnormalities in mice.

Scientists 'switch off' autism using $3 epilepsy drug: study (nypost.com)

Could this possibly have any relevance for ME/CFS? From what I understand we have a lot of commonalities with autism.

Hip

Some years ago, I tried the drugs in question, lamotrigine, in doses of 12.5 mg daily for a few weeks.

It had a several good effects which might be considered anti-autistic (it boosted my blunted emotions, improved sociability and my spontaneous desire to chat to people, and had antidepressant effects). More details in this post.

So I can see how lamotrigine could be beneficial for autism.

But I found that in spite of producing these benefits, including boosting mood, it was also paradoxically increasing suicidal ideation (as anticonvulsants are well known to do). Which is odd, given that it improved mood and decreased depression, but there you go.

pattismith

Some years ago, I tried the drugs in question, lamotrigine, in doses of 12.5 mg daily for a few weeks.

It had a several good effects which might be considered anti-autistic (it boosted my blunted emotions, improved sociability and my spontaneous desire to chat to people, and had antidepressant effects). More details in this post.

So I can see how lamotrigine could be beneficial for autism.

But I found that in spite of producing these benefits, including boosting mood, it was also paradoxically increasing suicidal ideation (as anticonvulsants are well known to do). Which is odd, given that it improved mood and decreased depression, but there you go.

Lamotrigine was also reported to be beneficial for ADHD

Azayliah

I take 100mg daily for migraine, which reduced them from a daily occurrence to an average of 2x/week. Since starting it I no longer have problems with occasional extreme mood fluctuations (from 0 to 100 in seconds, leading to rage, despair, or euphoria), which were probably being caused by migraines. I haven't noticed any side-effects from taking it, which could mean that I didn't notice them creeping up on me, but it doesn't seem to have helped with my brain fog, energy levels, sensory sensitivities, or sleep.

GreenEdge

I am Autistic but I won't be trying this. I have turned away from western medicine. I will solve this illness on my own. I have taken to learning to dance to help me be more sociable and overcome my Autistic traits.

I am now learning Tango. Wow, what a difference it has made. Since my first Tango class, my muscles have been quite relaxed, actually normal and I've been able to do more exercise than usual. This is FANTASTIC!!

GreenEdge

Excellent @GreenEdge ! Music therapy and physical therapy combined with social therapy. I imagine you are eating a healthy diet, also?
I dream that one day people stop believing the anti-meat propaganda that protects the profit of food industry and big pharma.

We should stop eating food industry produced addictive food-like substances and return to what humans evolved to eat over 2+ million years of evolution; before agriculture came into existence 12,000 years ago.

Agriculture is destroying the planet so if we no longer ate plant based the environment would heal itself.

Feed any animal the wrong food for that species and it will become unhealthy. Zookeepers know this.

I eat the lion diet. More details in this post.

If we all ate the lion diet the environment and world health would improve.

Last edited:

cheeseater

I have never heard of meat being implicated with autism/spectral, but there are a lot of meat haters out there. I have heard of trying to eliminate highly refined and processed foods, and that being of some help. Nothing unhealthy about some meat, fish, cheese and butter.

Then there are also people with certain conditions like cystic fibrosis and a type of epilepsy, where people do MUCH better on very high fat diets. Also people with conditions like genetic atherosclerosis, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease where people do better on a low fat diet.

I have a sensitivity to beef and farm raised fish since childhood. Either gives me a terrible bellyache. Interestingly I can eat truly wild fish or grass fed beef with no problem. Whatever works!

GreenEdge

I have never heard of meat being implicated with autism/spectral, but there are a lot of meat haters out there. I have heard of trying to eliminate highly refined and processed foods, and that being of some help. Nothing unhealthy about some meat, fish, cheese and butter.

Autism and ADHD might be caused be a nutritional deficiency (EPA & DHA) during the 3rd trimester of pregnancy. I eat a lot of oily fish because that's what I crave the most. I also supplement that with Blackmores High DHA Fish Oil. I only take the fish oil with the fish as I don't want to confuse my body.

I've seen a case of cerebral palsy improve on the lion diet; proving that the brain can heal itself (even after birth) if you give it the nutrition it needs for repair.

I also eat a slice of lambs fry regularly as liver is the richest source vitamins - to help with healing. I'm finding that overtime I can absorb more and more. Lately I've been increasing my liver intake and I haven't yet seen yellow urine. Lambs fry is less bitter than beef liver. The cooking method I use is to drop a frozen slice in a bowl of boiling hot water and leave for 5-10 minutes. I prefer the inside to be under cooked so it's less bitter.

Diary is good for stimulating growth and increasing appetite for food. But dairy (milk) makes adults fat. I look for dairy free alternatives eg. coconut yogurt.

Then there are also people with certain conditions like cystic fibrosis and a type of epilepsy, where people do MUCH better on very high fat diets. Also people with conditions like genetic atherosclerosis, type 2 diabetes, and heart disease where people do better on a low fat diet.
How can a diet work for one disease and not another? Research how to reverse those conditions and you will find an answer.

I have a sensitivity to beef and farm raised fish since childhood. Either gives me a terrible bellyache. Interestingly I can eat truly wild fish or grass fed beef with no problem. Whatever works!
If I was you, I would eat only wild fish or grass fed beef until my gut healed. To heal my gut, I found eating less often is best and waiting until I'm really hungry before eating again. Also I don't drink with my meals. That only washes stomach contents along prematurely causing gut ache; and it dilutes stomach acid slowing digestion. I only drink water [between meals].

A note about red-meat and colon cancer: Not possible unless meat leaves the stomach before it has been turned into a liquid to be totally absorbed in the small intestines. It should never reach the large intestine.

cheeseater

Best liver I ever had was (wild) Elk liver. ;)

Did you know that if you eat a meal of polar bear liver you will likely die from vitamin A overdose? :(

GreenEdge

I've heard chicken liver is really nice but I've never tried it.

You know how many autistic persons have one area of interest they could talk about non-stop, mine is nutrition and autism is my super power that enables me to take a deep dive on a subject and remain driven for years. That's intense focus, attention to detail and persistence.

cheeseater

Oh my gosh, you never tried chicken liver? Dipped in BBQ sauce (tomato ketchup based is good) and cooked on a grill or BBQ. Even with just a little salt and pepper they are very tasty.

In the US if you buy a whole chicken at the grocery, it will have the liver and kidneys and neck in a little bag inside. Or ask your butcher, they may throw them out. I see plastic tubs full of them at the grocery. Inexpensive yet very nutritious. Good for an occasional binge. Kidneys on the other hand, are one meat I do not like at all.

Internet is full of chopped chicken liver recipes. Most involve some bacon fat, hard boiled egg and sauteed onions and sometimes a splash of sherry or port for flavor. Maybe some chopped celery. There are Jewish versions with rendered chicken fat instead of bacon fat. Another version is chicken liver pate, which keeps for a few days in the fridge, and is good spread on bread.