• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elevated uric acid

xploit316

I also found that you often see elevated uric acid in insulin resistant individuals (which many of you have already mentioned). So that's the answer.
Thanks @space8 this was informative. My recent blood tests had my Uric acid higher than the upper range and with my constant battle to shed weight around my stomach/waist, I think I will have to cut out my carbs a little to manage this insulin resistance. I do know I need some carbs, keto really did me bad when I tried it few years ago.

Thank you @triffid113 for all the handy information about what you can do yourself for insulin/glucose issues! The thing about vinegar is interesting. Do you think apple cider vinegar is a good thing to incorporate? It seems to have many other benefits too for peptic issues/viral stuff etc. I drink it sometimes but not on a regular basis. I'm not a huge fan of kombucha, but wouldn't mind drinking it if the benefits are apparent.

@xploit316 I'm glad you found it informative! Insulin issues seems to be the main culprit for uric acid issues. Many sources talk about purines and alcohol but when learning about having insulin resistance there's plenty of information that supports the connection between insulin issues and uric acid. So that's probably the route we have to go if we want to lower it.

Good video @GreenEdge. That doctor seems to know what he's talking about! Just a clarification on what I meant by "I'm convinced it isn't my diet". I find - and found - it unlikely that overconsumption of any type of food or beverage would explain my uric acid levels since I don't overconsume much of anything other than coffee. I've been skinny all my life and eat much like the rest of my family and they don't have any issues with their insulin or uric acid. BUT I'm absolutely open to the explanation that me having PCOS which is linked to issues with insulin resistance (and is seen in both obese and lean patients with PCOS) could make me less tolerant to carbohydrate rich food and that I - now knowing that that's an issue I have - must be more careful than other people when consuming carbohydrates or foods containing sugar/fructose.

I ate low carb for 2 years and not a lick of sugar during that time and I feel better when I eat that way. It's just that it didn't cure or significantly alleviate any of the things I was aiming to treat, which was gastro issues and perhaps by extension improve my ME/CFS. It didn't. So I started eating normally again and incorporated carbohydrates into my diet.

But with the newfound info about my insulin and elevated uric acid, it's very clear that I must get back on a carbohydrate low diet!