• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Elevated uric acid

Hi everyone! šŸ‘‹

Discovered that I have elevated uric acid without being in the risk demographic (older, male with metabolic syndrome, big consumer of alcohol/meats). Iā€™m the opposite of all of those things.

I know gout and elevated uric acid may sometimes be genetic, but with the state of my health I just donā€™t buy into the fact that tests that come back off donā€™t say something about my medical situation - I believe they do.

My doctor didnā€™t elaborate too much and just said it can happen if you drink too much and eat a lot of meat, which I donā€™t (obviously with ME as I canā€™t tolerate alcohol).

What else can elevated uric acid be a sign of? Any ideas?

BrightCandle

For a long time they thought Gout was caused by diet. This was proved to be mostly wrong in the early 2000s and most of the medical guides haven't been updated yet. At the time they decided it was 80% genetic with diet playing a small part but in the past decade I have seen a few papers on it suggesting its possible post virally. I have heard of a few people getting high uric acid after Covid and it goes along with the disruption of the urea cycle generally. I wouldn't be surprised to find its comorbid with ME uncommonly given what typically breaks in our bodies.

For a long time they thought Gout was caused by diet. This was proved to be mostly wrong in the early 2000s and most of the medical guides haven't been updated yet. At the time they decided it was 80% genetic with diet playing a small part but in the past decade I have seen a few papers on it suggesting its possible post virally. I have heard of a few people getting high uric acid after Covid and it goes along with the disruption of the urea cycle generally. I wouldn't be surprised to find its comorbid with ME uncommonly given what typically breaks in our bodies.
Thanks a lot for your reply! Yeah I figured the diet explanation was a bit oversimplified. Especially since it doesnā€™t line up with the way I eat at all. And I found out about the uric acid before my first Covid infection.

Itā€™s just that Iā€™ve read that it has to do with purine metabolism or increased cell turnover if secondary, which sometimes means cancer, but there could also be some other things wrong if you have high uric acid. But it has been difficult to find many sources that discusses uric acid outside of symptomatic gout (Iā€™m not symptomatic - yet - but have a lot of rheumatoid arthritis like symptoms with joint pain and feeling inflamed and stuff and thought this might possibly explain some of it. Not sureā€¦)

I just want to explore it outside of the genetics context. No one in my family has had gout, but perhaps it can jump over everyone in the family except for the one whoā€™s already ill šŸ„² Might be related to ME too, itā€™s difficult to say.

What's your diet?
Itā€™s very normal. Justā€¦ a regular diet šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø

I have a BMI of 19. I eat two-three times a day. Vegetables, some carbs, some meat, mixed up with vegetarian dishes. Rarely drink sodas. Mostly water. I do drink a lot of caffeine.

I donā€™t think itā€™s my diet. Or rather, Iā€™m convinced it isnā€™t.

Today Iā€™ve eaten two bananas for breakfast/lunch and then homemade chicken wok with noodles, tons of veggies both raw and cooked. Not an unusual day for me.

Last edited:

Violeta

Check your urine pH.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2976726/

And I saw a study saying that COVID is messing with acidity and alkalinity. I think the study said it's due to COVID causing increased lactate. I just took a quick look in google and couldn't find it, but maybe I'll be able to find it later.

Yes, your diet is not what's causing it. I asked what your diet was because most aren't aware that beans are high in purines, too.

Are you having any joint pain?

Hip

This is what the Microsoft Copilot AI chatbot said:

Elevated levels of uric acid in the blood can result from various factors. Here are some common causes:

1. Diuretics (Water Retention Relievers): Certain medications, known as diuretics, can lead to increased uric acid levels.
  2. Excessive Alcohol Consumption: Drinking too much alcohol can contribute to elevated uric acid.
  3. High Fructose Intake: Consuming excessive fructose, often found in sugary foods and drinks, can raise uric acid levels.
  4. Genetics: Inherited traits may play a role in uric acid metabolism.
  5. High Blood Pressure (Hypertension): Individuals with hypertension might experience elevated uric acid.
  6. Immune-Suppressing Drugs: Some medications that suppress the immune system can impact uric acid levels.
  7. Kidney Problems: Impaired kidney function can affect uric acid excretion.
  8. Leukemia: This blood cancer can lead to elevated uric acid.
  9. Metabolic Syndrome: A cluster of conditions (including obesity, high blood pressure, and insulin resistance) may contribute.
  10. Niacin (Vitamin B-3): High doses of niacin can elevate uric acid.
  11. Obesity: Being overweight is associated with higher uric acid levels.
  12. Polycythemia Vera: A rare blood disorder.
  13. Psoriasis: Some individuals with psoriasis may have elevated uric acid.
  14. Purine-Rich Diet: Consuming foods high in purines (such as liver, game meat, anchovies, and sardines) can increase uric acid.
  15. Tumor Lysis Syndrome: Rapid cell release into the blood due to certain cancers or chemotherapy can impact uric acid levels.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@space8, are you by chance taking any Inosine? Some PwME (people with ME) take it to help with immune modulation but it can also raise uric acid levels. Also, if you feel comfortable doing so maybe list other medications or supplements you are taking. (Or if it's a long list you could also try checking them with AI. I use Perplexity.ai because I don't have to log into anything. :) Thanks, @Hip for talking about it that one time. :))

I also wonder if @triffid113 has any other ideas of what might be going on. She's talked about the uric acid cycle on occasion and like @BrightCandle I do think we have issues with that and high ammonia levels.*

*A little off topic but talking about ammonia, many of us have sleep inversion and this wikipedia page mentions it in connection with that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_inversion

Hi everyone! šŸ‘‹

Discovered that I have elevated uric acid without being in the risk demographic (older, male with metabolic syndrome, big consumer of alcohol/meats). Iā€™m the opposite of all of those things.

I know gout and elevated uric acid may sometimes be genetic, but with the state of my health I just donā€™t buy into the fact that tests that come back off donā€™t say something about my medical situation - I believe they do.

My doctor didnā€™t elaborate too much and just said it can happen if you drink too much and eat a lot of meat, which I donā€™t (obviously with ME as I canā€™t tolerate alcohol).

Hi Space8

I do also have elevated uric acid. I am female, I am under 40, eat meat less than once in a month, can't drink alcohol for over 15 years und can't eat legumes (SIBO).

For many years have gout-like pain in my joints that comes and goes. Since I was a child I could never tolerate much protein food. (I don't know if this means anything...)
Recently I found out that I am low in Molybdenum, so I supplemented it. My gout-like pain showed up after few days, so I stopped. Molybednum can higher uric acid. So I researched a bit for hyperuricemia.

I made some researches some years ago, but never found something that could explain my uric acid levels. This time I found a study which is interesting.

Humans do have a d-lactat-dehydrogenase (this has not been known for long). If I understand it right, there are some people which have mutations for this enzyme (?) so they can't convert d-lactate to pyruvate. Many years ago an urine examination showed, that I have highly elevated d-lactate. The study says that elevated d-lactate can cause hyperuricemia.

This is the only thing I have ever found that could fit my problem. Unfortunately I don't know what I could do against my elevated d-lactate and my hyperuriciemia.
Also my blood showes elevated l-lactate. My muscles always feel very acidic and my urine is buring often. I don't know if this is possible, but it feels like my body is full of selfproduced acids...

I don't know if this helps you, but I found the study quite interesting...
(I am not sure if I understood all right in the study, because English is not my native language and I am quite brainfogged)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6877321/

Violeta

Hi Space8

I do also have elevated uric acid. I am female, I am under 40, eat meat less than once in a month, can't drink alcohol for over 15 years und can't eat legumes (SIBO).

For many years have gout-like pain in my joints that comes and goes. Since I was a child I could never tolerate much protein food. (I don't know if this means anything...)
Recently I found out that I am low in Molybdenum, so I supplemented it. My gout-like pain showed up after few days, so I stopped. Molybednum can higher uric acid. So I researched a bit for hyperuricemia.

I made some researches some years ago, but never found something that could explain my uric acid levels. This time I found a study which is interesting.

Humans do have a d-lactat-dehydrogenase (this has not been known for long). If I understand it right, there are some people which have mutations for this enzyme (?) so they can't convert d-lactate to pyruvate. Many years ago an urine examination showed, that I have highly elevated d-lactate. The study says that elevated d-lactate can cause hyperuricemia.

This is the only thing I have ever found that could fit my problem. Unfortunately I don't know what I could do against my elevated d-lactate and my hyperuriciemia.
Also my blood showes elevated l-lactate. My muscles always feel very acidic and my urine is buring often. I don't know if this is possible, but it feels like my body is full of selfproduced acids...

I don't know if this helps you, but I found the study quite interesting...
(I am not sure if I understood all right in the study, because English is not my native language and I am quite brainfogged)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6877321/

That's very good researching! I will have to read that study. The d-lactate dehydrogenase may explain my issues with acidity, protein, and intermittent joint pain.

There's a lot to talk about with respect to your message, but for now I will quick add that boswellia is credited with being able to reduce d-lactate dehydrogenase.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609259/

The activities of lysosomal enzymes, lipid peroxidation, and tumour necrosis factor-Ī± levels and paw volume were increased significantly in monosodium urate crystal-induced mice, whereas the activities of antioxidant status were in turn decreased. However, these changes were modulated to near normal levels upon boswellic acid administration. In vitro, boswellic acid reduced the level of Ī²-glucuronidase and lactate dehydrogenase in monosodium urate crystal-incubated PMNL in concentration dependent manner when compared with control cells.

And I read a book from around 1904 about uric acid and it explains why the pains come and go and also the effect of the acidity on the removal of uric acid from the body.

Violeta

@enna, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your message.

And here's another link about lactate dehydrogenase and ME/CFS.

Understanding Muscle Dysfunction in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome​

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26998359/

Bioenergetic muscle dysfunction is evident in CFS/ME, with a tendency towards an overutilisation of the lactate dehydrogenase pathway following low-level exercise, in addition to slowed acid clearance after exercise. Potentially, these abnormalities may lead to the perception of severe fatigue in CFS/ME.

Edit in: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0141813019392359

Seaweed extract (fucoidan) may also be very helpful for lowering lactate dehydrogenase.

LMWE is low molecular weight fucoidan

The rate of lactate dehydrogenase inhibition in the advanced glycation end product + fucoidan +protamine sulfate(I don't know yet what this is but it seems to also help) group was 20% higher than that in the AGE + LMWF group.

Fucoidan (LMWF) reduces endotoxin content and LDH activity​

You probably have looked at what can raise lactate dehydrogenase levels.

Last edited:

Violeta

Lactate Shuttles in Neuroenergeticsā€”Homeostasis, Allostasis and Beyond

Thiamine

https://www.frontiersin.org/journal...FmuleRlp0y2TMNb4dh0e5GvXJq-3xa58kVSLKUb7-BYbc

The lactate dehydrogenase (LDH) enzymes are thiamine dependent, just like the pyruvate dehydrogenase enzymes. So if thiamine is insufficient not only do we lose pyruvate >acetyl CoA and subsequent reactions, but the pyruvate to LDH > lactate and back. During times of great energetic demand such as extreme exercise, but also, illness, this becomes problematic, in the brain especially.

"Molecular mechanisms provide further in vitro evidence that supports the ANLS [astrocyte neuron lactate shuttle] hypothesis (Bliss et al., 2004; Porras et al., 2004), showing that upregulation of glycolysis in neurons decreased oxidation of glucose through the pentose phosphate pathway, resulting in impaired regeneration of reduced glutathione, and subsequently oxidative stress and apoptotic death.

Thus, neurons downregulate glycolysis in order to use available glucose to maintain antioxidant status (a neuroprotective mechanism) at the expense of its use for bioenergetics purposes. Neuroenergetic demands can be met by other sources, such as lactate (Tabernero et al., 1996; Herrero-Mendez et al., 2009)."

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Hi everyone! šŸ‘‹

Hm, I got a message that said I was quoted here? I want to say this: gout is very heavily on the rise due to high fructose corn syrup being put in everything. Yes, it can be genetic, just like hypertension, but the majority of people are getting it due to our high fructose diets. Sugar is some high percent fructose all by itself and then you have high fructose corn syrup being added to everything. Gout symptoms from high uric acid can supposedly be lessened via antioxidants... uric acid crystals are sharp and damage tissues... which calls the immune system into play due to injury and the immune system fires off H2)2 to kill dead and dying cells, and the H2O2 ricochets around also killing healthy tissue. You can stop secondary damage with enough antioxidants. But you have to get rid of the uric acid because it will damage delicate tissues in your kidneys and eyes that may not be healable. The problem is too much sugar. I never had the problem until I put a ton of ketchup on a baked potato during PMS (tomato craving, I guess). I avoided 100% high fructose corn syrup (including NO ketsup!) after that and had no problem until the past couple of years. This is post covid and covid vaccines, so idk the connection there. I am also much older and hypertensive... hypertensives retain water so do not excrete uric acid as quickly, and also cold winters are dehydrating - dehydration will concentrate the uric acid. It's impossible for me to say what is the cause. However, the solution is clear: less sugar of all kinds.

This is a sharply rising national trend! You'd have to look at national stats to find out if that trend spiked with covid... when I read this I got the impression it was a steady rise correlated with use of high fructose corn syrup. If there is a tie with CFS, I would want to explore if that is because sugary and starchy foods are comfort foods and so it might not be uncommon to rise for that reason.

Now, I have never been treated for gout... but I know a guy who has told me all kinds of things you're not supposed to do if you have gout - no alcohol, no red meats, all kinds of stuff I don't recall. I realized that since I moved in with my bf, I have eaten more red meat because he won't eat poultry... so I took steps to change that. I don't drink often anyway. And... I don't want to stop eating healthy foods, so I am doing my best to stay hydrated (which includes using hygrometers in each room to be sure the humidity is kept between 35%-50%, and drinking more water). I still do not eat even 1 spec of high fructose corn syrup, but I have also lowered my sugar intake (replaced it with a hot decaf tea for comfort food... not as comforting short term, but long term, more comforting).

So, you can check wikipedia uric_acid topic... you will find (or used to) that zinc can raise uric acid if it's low - of benefit in MS (people with MS have low uric acid).. And that's the thing...I know I'm low in zinc, and I need enough zinc for my thyroid to work, and enough thyroid hormone for my kidneys to promptly filter out uric acid. So, I believe zinc will also lower uric acid if it's too high. I do not make enough stomach acid, and you need zinc to do that, and you need HCL to digest zinc) so it's hard to raise zinc levels. I am making an effort. I stopped having little gout attacks. However, I still have arthritis and do not know if it's GOUTY arthritis (that's a thing) and also, TSH > 2.0 can cause joint pain... So I am either not being bold enough in taking HCL tablets (I'm a wimp) or it takes a long time to raise your levels, or the arthritis has another cause. Unfortunately no one has all the answers. I am also a wimp about going to doctors... since I believe they just want to drug you up. So, the biggest clue I can offer is totally avoid high fructose corn syrup, and trememdously cut back ALL sugar and it will probably take care of the worst of it, if not all.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I should add something else about me, unlike others perhaps. I rarely eat fruit. Lifelong. My family was diabetic and I saw fruit as primarily sugar. I watched relatives eat all kinds of sugary things fooling themselves that because they weren't dessert, it didn't count. But it did, and I had relatives die from diabetes. I absolutely never drink fruit juice (sugar water). In fact, in the dorms in college, I saw the o.j. being delivered in vats labeled azucar (sugar in Spanish). I used to eat a banana here or there as a child, but I don't really do that anymore. I occasionally eat an apple, occasionally blueberries. My bf eats a fruit smoothie he makes every morning. I tried it, but then told him I could not eat this way every day. I have a shot glass size of his smoothie once a week or so. On the other hand, I think veggies are extremely healthful and I also eat lots of vitamins, including "foodie" ones, like olive leaf extract (1g/day). I take 2g of C/day and 1g of E/day. I now also take an astaxanthin, which has more antioxidant power than C or E by far.

Lastly, I find most of my junk food eating is motivated by needing more fiber. So, to head this off, I have an oatmeal (fiber like a sponge) and a romaine salad (fiber like a scrub brush) early in the day (at breakfast and lunch) and drink lots of water. This is the only way I can maintain a diet. It might help you change yours.

Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread. I'm really grateful for the engagement and sorry that I haven't been able to participate in it as much as I thought I would.

I think I just figured out the answer to my own question as I recently found out through a couple of blood tests that I have insulin resistance (not diabetes). I have PCOS which is a metabolic condition and often occurs together with insulin resistance, but no, I'm not overweight, I don't eat a lot of junk food, even though sugar and carbs are a part of my diet as it is in most people who aren't, well... dieting. I also found that you often see elevated uric acid in insulin resistant individuals (which many of you have already mentioned). So that's the answer.

From now on I'll really have to try to exclude as many carbs and sugars as possible and make a conscious effort to not only eat decently, but create a diet with insulin resistance in mind. Started today but immediately got fasting hypoglycemia (probably due to having high insulin levels) and had to eat a bunch of fruit. So slow and steady hopefully...

It's just interesting that my GP started blabbing about meats and alcohol when he could've just tested my fasting insulin levels. He didn't. But another doctor did.

Thank you for all the advice @triffid113 and thank you for the comprehensive list @Hip and thanks for the heads up about d-lactat-dehydrogenase @enna and @Violeta! And thanks @Judee too for your contribution!

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I have had hypoglycemia my whole life. Studies in the 1930's reported by Adele Davis, PhD, in Let's Get Well, showed that eating 20g. of protein at breakfast would protect study subjects from hypoglycemia even after lunch (that 2pm slump). However, study subjects in the 1930s generally ate less overrefined food than we do now. Still, it's a start. As I got older, or the food supply changed, it was not enough.

Adele did also report that you lose 2g of potassium every time you have a low blood sugar attack, which is why you feel shit-like for days afterward. Not saying it is safe to supplement 2g of potassium...depends on your diet, drugs/supplements, and the state of your kidneys (if you have high blood pressure like me, not safe), but you can eat more potassium foods... like apricots and dates, which you can carry in a ziplock bag.

I read a book by a naturopath/nurse which stated that calcium can help you lower your insulin levels /(excrete the excess lactate caused in hypoglycemia?). I take calcium-magnesium-citrate (non-stone-forming) and it helps blunt the attack. I find this online: "Calcium has a vital role in the prevention of diabetes by improving insulin sensitivity and pancreatic Ī²ā€cell functions (Pittas et al., 2007)." Link here: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...=Moreover, about 40% of American,et al., 2007). Other studies say calcium and magnesium improve insulin sensitivity, for example: No association was found between dairy intake and insulin sensitivity (p = 0.41); however, associations were positive for magnesium and calcium intake (p = 0.016) after adjusting for demographic, nondietary lifestyle and dietary factors, and food groups. https://academic.oup.com/aje/article/164/5/449/83505 Also, this article entitled "

Calcium-mediated regulation of insulin production"​

says: Research in the Evans-Molina Lab has shown that Ī² cell function and survival is strongly governed by ER and Golgi health, which is dependent on intact ER and Golgi calcium compartmentalization and the maintenance of a steep calcium gradient between these organelles and the cytosol https://medicine.iu.edu/faculty-labs/evans-molina/insulin-regulation

Ok, so I cannot quickly find anything that says that insulin resistance causes lactic acidosis, but I CAN easily find that even mild lactic acidosis increases insultin resistance. So, it may be just me that gets lactic acid muscle pulls and cramps associated with low blood sugar (due to my many broken B vitamin genes...because a broken Kreb/TCA cycle obviously causes lactate production (just like over-exercising - it hurts!) and low energy production. In fact, may be of interest to others here, but if you do not have enough nutrition to run the Kreb/TCA cycle, such as active B vitamins, magnesium, malic acid (think apple), etc, you can only partially break down carbohydrates into lactate which produces 2 ATP (units of ENEREGY, vs. 50-some ATP (Units of ENERGY) if you have the cofactors needed to completely break down carbohydrates... thus you will have a serious deficit of energy. At any rate...getting the cal-mag and the B vitamins fixes all. I find the cal-mag makes me feel better. Any of you who are not providing the right nutrients to the KLreb/TCA cycle, either due to genetics or diet, will have an energy deficit, muscle pain from lactic acid (lactate), and rising insulin resistance.

I know active B's are on all your radar, but I wonder if you understand how it works and how important it is to get it right. If you have genetic problems, like me, it was impossible until the advent of ACTIVE B's. Nonetheless, the active B's don't fix you immediately... it takes 2-5 weeks (according to the vet for my DOG, who suffered from severe anxiety due to lack of B vitamins...dog foods no longer put adequate vitamins in their food and they are a SELF-regulated industry!). Th ecal-mag does start making you feel better pretty quick, but in MY lactic acidosis, I have to supplement it twice a day for a few days to keep feeling better.

I take Soloray cal-mag-citrate 1:1. The citrate because it's non-stone-forming. Also, I found other forms of calcium did NOT make me feel better. Calcium carbonate is only 5% absorbably and thus, worthless. It was being considered to be taken off the market. I think it should be illegal to pass that off as calcium. Calcium asporotate, which is more absorbable than the citrate, does not make me feel better. So it's not just about absorbability.

I don't know if any of this is of any help.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Oh...so now that I read that insulin production is mediated by calcium...I can clearly see why my family was all diabetic. We have a genetic D receptor defect so, until this was known, we could never absorb enough calcium. I take 50g/week of D.

Last edited:

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Oh, I found DHEA also would help maintain my blood sugar as I got older (over 40), as would Rhodiola. idk why. I am sure the calcium approach is what is needed and the DHEA just helps your body withstand stress - thus a bandaid...but I have been using that bandaid for 15 years now and I'm afraid to rip it off. There is a lot of stress in life that I want to be able to withstand.

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
So I was just reading about acetic acid (vinegar), wondering if it would help with too much ammonia (because sodium acetate apparently helps, and I wouldn't take that due to high blood pressure). I found that acetic acid is full of all kinds of necessary Kreb/TCA cycle substances, such as malic acid, citric acid, lactic acid, succinic acid, B3, sometimes B2 (depends on type of vinegar), and C, so to help energy metabolism.

Also, here is something interesting! Vinegar contains acetic acid (as does kombucha). Well I just read: "organic acids in vinegars, especially acetic acid, can penetrate into the cell membranes of microorganisms and cause bacterial cell death. It was demonstrated that acetic acid was the most effective organic acid against Escherichia coli O157:H7, followed by lactic, citric, and malic acids (Entani et al., 1998, Ryu et al., 1999)." and also: "acetic acid reduces serum cholesterol and triacylglycerols through inhibition of lipogenesis in liver and increment in faecal bile acid excretion (Fushimi et al., 2006), and inhibits the accumulation of body fat by upregulation of genes for fatty acid oxidation enzymes in the liver (Kondo, Kishi, Fushimi, & Kaga, 2009). "

As pertains to insulin resistance: "In studies from the 1960s, organic acids were proved to delay gastric emptying in dogs (Lin, Doty, Reedy, & Meyer, 1990). Moreover, several studies have shown that organic acids and vinegars can lower gastric emptying in humans (Liljeberg and Bjƶrck, 1996, Liljeberg and Bjƶrck, 1998). In a study conducted by Kondo et al. (2009) in humans, daily intake of a drink containing 15 mL vinegar (750 mg of acetic acid) for 12 weeks significantly decreased body weight in obese people, total cholesterol and triglyceride in serum. This finding suggests that daily intake of vinegar could be useful in prevention of obesity. Other studies demonstrated that vinegar improved insulin sensitivity in humans with insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes (Johnston, Kim, & Buller, 2004), and enhanced muscle blood flow and glucose uptake in humans with impaired glucose tolerance and hypertriglyceridaemia (Mitrou et al., 2015), suggesting that vinegar may be considered beneficial for improving insulin resistance and metabolic abnormalities."

Kombucha is better tasting and I LOVE it! So, I cannot afford to drink it every day, but I periodically get a case at Costco/Sam's Club (my friend takes me and I can't remember which) and ration it out. I have another friend who swears by balsalmic vinegar. I've never tried it, but a tablespoon on apple cider vinegar in a glass of water works fine for me, I just don't like the smell. I used to take it to stay up when pulling an all-nighter in college, and it made me feel fantastic the next day! I take it alot now because it lowers my blood pressure, but I used to take it sporadically all my life because it just made me feel good.

The article on vinegar is here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S175646461930605X

Also, I find that vinegar is a fermented food! All cultures emply fermented foods for health: yogurt, tofu/tempeh/miso, saurkraut, kombucha, etc.

BrightCandle

Kombucha is better tasting and I LOVE it! So, I cannot afford to drink it every day
Just like Kefir its better and cheaper if you make it yourself. It is however a bit more peaky in effort because it takes about a month to make so you end up having to work with a lot of liquid and ingredients and then do so every month. Also a lot of Kombucha in the stores is devoid of most of its bacterial content so you loose a lot of the goodness and they add a lot of sugar and flavouring.