• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

EEG to determine possible causes of hypersensitivity to environmental stimuli

In Fall 2018, I was referred to a PhD psychologist board certified in EEG Encephalography by the Biofeedback Certification International Alliance (BCIA) to help determine any abnormalities that could explain my severe hypersensitivity. I was also recently diagnosed with dysautonomia. At the time of testing, I was enrolled in a PhD program and living in Los Angeles, so this wasn't helping my situation. In the end, ALL these symptoms disappeared through treatment of infections and I am currently in remission (which I recently mentioned in this post). I did have several Neurofeedback sessions, but this did not solve my problem. Nonetheless, I thought it would be helpful to share some key excerpts from my 40-page report:

1. Analysis of Rachel’s EEG revealed several significant deviations from normal readings, adjusted for age and gender. The most significant area of concern is unstable high amplitude Beta and Gamma waveforms in the temporal lobes. This is a pattern of over arousal (fast wave activity) measured with the eyes opened and was seen predominately in the right hemisphere at site T4 (above the right ear) and at the T6–P4 area (right somatosensory). In addition to these temporal measurements, the pattern of over arousal was observed throughout the head. All frequencies above 13 Hz measured higher in amplitude than expected compared to norms.

2. Over arousal of this type indicates that Rachel has reactive sensory processing, characterized by low tolerance to environmental stimuli. The somatosensory, visual and auditory temporal areas appear most affected in the right hemisphere. During the eyes open recording it was observed that slight sounds and minor environmental distractions would trigger a surge of fast Beta and Gamma waves that are generally associated with anxiety, sensory processing, and physical discomfort. It would take several minutes for the pattern to subside. This type of EEG pattern is frequently seen with individuals prone to panic attacks, chronic pain, post infectious disease, immune dysfunctions, and other conditions. It is reasonable to assume that Rachel’s symptoms are consistent with generalized chronic over arousal of the EEG. One should consider that Rachel’s pattern of over arousal is not necessarily causing her condition, but is more likely a reaction to an earlier event or predisposition that has become chronic. In many cases Neurofeedback has been able to reduce arousal levels and improve symptoms.

3. A second significant pattern was observed in Rachel’s EEG. Random surges of slow waves frequently appear below <7 Hz. in the Delta and Theta ranges. They generally appear bilaterally across the frontal lobe, negatively affecting attention. They also appear frontally along the longitudinal midline, although diminishing in intensity as they approach the lateral midline. This pattern is most likely a result of chronic fatigue and low vitality resulting from the temporal over arousal problem. It is likely a secondary condition as her attention and stamina would likely improve if the problem of temporal over arousal were remediated.

4. EEG Neurofeedback training should help remediate some symptoms and help provide a deeper understanding of the mechanisms underlying Rachel’s condition. An initial approach would be to reward stability across the motor cortex at T4 and T3 by inhibiting Beta and Gamma rhythms while rewarding slower rhythms to lower the median EEG frequency into the normal range. Additionally, bilateral synchrony training across the hemispheres targeting the temporal lobes, the primary auditory cortex, and the visual cortex may bring relief to her condition. With progress, other interventions and configurations may be implemented.

Wishful

My (vague) theory of ME is that glial cells are malfunctioning, which in turn affects the functions of other brain cells. The effects vary with the individual, so to me your EEG abnormalities are 'just part of your ME'. Since the abnormalities are due to cell abnormalities, training or other 'standard' treatments may not work properly or may even backfire. Then again, they might work, so just make sure that your doctors are aware that you may not respond to treatments the way they expect.

lenora

Hello.....That could be me that you're reading about. In my case, I have severe anxiety that can quickly move into panic attacks and I've tried handling it by myself and with the help of my neurologist. With a lot of time, effort and now medication things are under fairly good control.

My daughter once remarked that she thought I'd had anxiety all of my life. In retrospect, I have to agree with her and situations like recovery from surgery or really bad illness made it impossible.

I spent a week in a psychiatric facility and it wasn't a bad situation for me at all. I also had an outbreak of shingles at the time and that can do some pretty serious damage to even the most together of individuals. I was a danger to myself....no question of that. I had two subsequent outbreaks that year, had the new vaccine when it was available and am taking a med for anxiety. All is OK, and I'm very grateful. Yours, Lenora

lenora

What does one do about that @SickOfSickness. It was pretty awful....I simply couldn't break the cycle of the same (really bad) thoughts that played over and over again.

Thanks for your response. Interesting. Happy New Year! Yours, Lenora