• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr. Lipkin on Dr. Oz show Thurs 5 March about ME/CFS

PeterPositive

So I just watched the show, it was less than 8 minutes. Dr.Caudle is clueless- she really needs to shut it. Dr.Lipkin talked about the infectious aspect and "biomarkers". The women guest with CFS says everyone thinks she's crazy. So basically, if I didn't know anything about this illness I would come away with- it's a women's disorder, possibly with an underlying infectious cause. Oh, and dont' stand too long or you will feel worse. The following segment was about mood and anxiety disorders.
Seriously? Women disorder? Again?! :rolleyes:

Mij

@Sasha do you believe that the type of audience that watches the Dr.Oz show is of any significance to our cause? The 8 minute segment was not something anyone would take seriously and donate to. sorry.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Actually, I was pleasantly surprised that they did an over-all good job, and I think our disease is better off for it. We had much needed exposure that was taken in a very serious way. It wasn't perfect, but word is out to millions about our suffering. I do wish they would have described the extent the suffering can go - wheelchair/bedbound/housebound, etc.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha do you believe that the type of audience that watches the Dr.Oz show is of any significance to our cause? The 8 minute segment was not something anyone would take seriously and donate to. sorry.

I think any large audience has the potential to steer people towards our community and good information. I wouldn't expect people to watch that 8 minutes of Dr Oz and donate, but to maybe seek out more information because of it. And if they end up somewhere good on the net (like here!) and get clued in, then our community has grown - and so has our donor base.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
I do agree that is was awkward the way they said "it's not Chronic Fatigue Syndrome", (because it's now SEID). But I do think our point was made in spite of it.

snowathlete

I think with a show like this you have to look at it as damage limitation. Had Lipkin not been there it would have been really bad. Happily he was there to raise the standard. So good result. And maybe other better shows will be willing to talk to Lipkin in more depth now.

shannah

Don't understand why Dr. Lipkin kept referring to it as a disorder rather than a disease. So many mixed signals!

acer2000

Ugh the preview clip they have where they do like "5 things" is the worst. If that is really the IOM criteria it is *more* vague than the previous definition. I haven't had a chance to watch the whole segment yet.

charlie1

RE: the Sneak Preview:

"standing seems to make things a little bit worse' and "you can have a little bit of brain fog" Really???.. OMG...

and I agree with those of you that said it's very confusing when the sign on the stage calls it a disease but the woman doctor is calling it a disorder.

Bob

Looking at the three minute clip, they've got some essential details wrong in the second half of the clip, relating to a diagnosis.
But I thought the first half was helpful - it entirely validated the illness in strong positive terms, confirming that it's a biomedical illness.
Overall, I think the clip is probably helpful from this point of view: If someone without a diagnosis was watching this, I think it might help them seek further help, which is all we can expect from a program like this. It's not aimed at scientists, researchers, clinicians or expert patients. It's aimed at a general audience.

SDSue

Southeast
While they all at least did say that it was "real" and people are going undiagnosed for years, it seems like such a wasted opportunity to mention at LEAST the following three points:

1. Many people are so debilitated that they are bed bound for decades
2. There have been tests available for years that document abnormalities
3. Patients are having to fund research

I could add so many more. It seems we need a campaign of talking points.

Perhaps we'll never be satisfied with media coverage, but at least the "real" word is getting out.