• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: A Crap Study on “Psychosomatic Therapy” for “Persistent Somatic Symptoms”

Countrygirl

https://virology.ws/.../trial-by-error-a-crap-study.../...
Trial By Error: A Crap Study on “Psychosomatic Therapy” for “Persistent Somatic Symptoms”

Leave a Comment / By David Tuller / 26 October 2023
By David Tuller, DrPH

Dutch investigators appear to be on a roll—they are producing so much crap that it is hard to keep track. (I have recently written multiple posts about a Dutch study of CBT for fatigue associated with long Covid.) The latest to come to my attention is a real mess called “Effectiveness of psychosomatic therapy for patients with persistent somatic symptoms: Results from the CORPUS randomised controlled trial in primary care,” published in the Journal of Psychosomatic Research.

As I have noted before, the Journal of Psychosomatic Research appears to be something of a house organ for the psychologizing camp. Professor Michael Sharpe, a psychiatrist and one of the principal investigators of the discredited and arguably fraudulent PACE trial, is on its advisory board. That pretty much says it all. Interestingly, current and previous editors of the journal noted in a commentary published a few years ago that unblinded studies relying on self-reported outcomes are more prone to bias than those including objective measures. That recognition does not seem to prevent the journal from accepting reports about studies that fit this pattern—including the doozy of a disaster discussed in this post.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
They can't dazzle us with their brilliance so they baffle us with BS.
Their "need" to sell their BS leads them to pathetic nonsense "research" that they try to sell as truthful.

The real problem is that people fall for it.