• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Don't tell cancer patients what they could be doing to cure themselves" (relevance for ME/CFS)

*GG*

My next-door neighbor used to try to coax me out for walks in a well-meaning way, parroting the "common sense" that fresh air and exercise helps everything. He is pretty much cured of that, now that he is recovering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen and a second slug through the palm.

Almost dying is a helluva way to find out that exercise doesn't cure fatigue.

(He is pretty well recovered now, although he still gets tired easily)

Dam, glad I'm not friends with his hunting buddy! Ouch :wide-eyed:

GG

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
My next-door neighbor used to try to coax me out for walks in a well-meaning way, parroting the "common sense" that fresh air and exercise helps everything. He is pretty much cured of that, now that he is recovering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen and a second slug through the palm.
I really think you could have been a little more restrained. Mind you if Graded Rudeness Therapy doesn't work for me I might end up doing something similar to the next person who gives me some homespun common-sense advice.

jimells

Please tell me the gunshot wounds happen during his exercise!

Naw, his partner was having a psychotic episode. Since she is no longer psychotic the state wants to put her in prison for 30 years if she asks for a trial, or ten years if she agrees to plead out. Even ten years for her will be a death sentence, since she is in her early 60s, has heart disease, and suffered a major stroke about two months before the shooting. She also has migraines and permanent edema in one arm as a result of a radical mastectomy about 20 years ago.

It is a classic example of institutional failure where the individual gets the punishment instead of the institution. Two days before the shooting she was in the Emergency Room for psychosis. She left the hospital and walked to a nearby gas station and caused a big ruckus, so the cops came and took her back to the hospital. I don't know what happened there, but two days later she took a taxi to my house (instead of her own!?!), walked home from here, and an hour later plugged her old man.

I still don't know why she came to my house. It was obvious to me that her thinking wasn't right, but she wasn't aggressive towards me and said nothing that made me think she was going to shoot up someone. If someone is having a mental health crisis in the US calling the cops is absolutely the last resort, 'cause they have the bad habit of shooting the patient. That happened to my other neighbor's brother just over a year ago. They killed him in his own home, in front of his elderly mother.

And people say living in the country is boring...

Chrisb

Almost dying is a helluva way to find out that exercise doesn't cure fatigue.

(He is pretty well recovered now, although he still gets tired easily)

That sounds like a drastic way of letting him know of your displeasure.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
For your coffee table:
chronic illness.jpg