• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do all people with CFS commonly experience flu like symptoms

wastwater

I've noticed that when seasonal coughs and colds are going around I don't get them or so I thought,now I wonder if I'm fighting them off in an unusual way by sweating out at night becoming soaking wet.

ash0787

I didn't get many noticable infections in the first year but now in the second winter I just had 2 really bad ones about 3 weeks separation, so I think my immune system might be weakening.

When I had these two infections it didn't really feel like what I describe as 'flu - like ' which is primarily a weird feeling in the muscles, these were more like a fever with pronounced mental effects ( loss of sanity ), would feel like I was in an oven while trying to sleep. So obviously what we describe as flu symptoms is not a viral infection, its just the closest comparison we can make.

sorin

I've noticed that when seasonal coughs and colds are going around I don't get them or so I thought,now I wonder if I'm fighting them off in an unusual way by sweating out at night becoming soaking wet.
I have also the same nocturne sweating, but this is also something which is not specific to a certain disease, but to many diseases. I think is also common to lymphoma. I am wondering if people with CFS also manifest, from time to time, some red irritations of the skin on the nose and around the nose as I experience these dermatological problems and have to treat them with a special cream usually recommended for Psoryasis (Blue-Cap Cream).

The frequency cold/flu symptoms ended up being the thing that drove me to the doctor to get a diagnosis. I'd had CFS symptoms unknowingly for years but when I started a job in a call centre at 21 my body went haywire. I know now that it was a mix of stress, constantly changing shift and eating patterns and excessive talking that brought it to a head.

At the time I kept getting symptoms like sore throat, swollen glands, aches and sneezing every 6 weeks. After a year I'd been off sick for a few days in every other instance (vivid memories of being hunched over my desk with my eyes closed trying to sound jolly!) and my employer started taking me down a disciplinary route.

Luckily I'd been back and forth to the Dr with these symptoms for a long time so it got to the point where I went to each Dr in the practice to push for more tests/help. Eventually one of them brought up CFS, gave me a leaflet and said that if I was still having the same problems in 3 months we'd talk diagnosis!

I found it has got a bit better over time and not overdoing it is a huge part of that. Ironically I'm in bed at the moment with strep throat and a 10 day goodie bag of antibiotics!

wonderoushope

I no longer get the full on full-blown flu symptoms, but what I get is sneezing everyday (when I am under the weather) and then I feel very light headed and tired like you do with a flu. I have no raise in temperature or swollen glands. With aches and pains, I do sort of, but there not your typical aches that you get with a flu, I just find at night when I sleep I get strange sensations in my joints. I tend to now sleep too heavy on certain parts of my body (arms, shoulder) and then when I wake up those parts of my body, are sort of locked/stiff.

I don't think it is hay-fever, as I have no runny nose, itchy throat and watery eyes. I've never had hay fever before this CFS. Plus it's not hayfever season in Aus.

I too never get full-blown colds, but rather these symptoms when I am run down.