• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Distinguishing features of Long COVID identified through immune profiling

Osaca

Any thoughts on extending this to MECFS? Should be similar.
They are working on this www.twitter.com/PutrinoLab/status/1706474621816463651.

Something like low Cortisol has of course also been found in ME/CFS, but Cortisol in itself is already not very reliable. Cort Johnson wrote a good article on the current state of research regarding low Cortisol in ME/CFS and 24-hour testing a while ago, but I can't seem to find it. There's always multiple layers to these things.

SWAlexander

It has science taken too much time to include the possibility of hormonal imbalance.

I have ME/CFS and permanent low cortisol.
The hormones in the endocrine system are neurotransmitters and nothing to play with.

Cortisol and ACTH is a subject I know from personal experience plays a vital role in energy.
For this reason, I suggested (about 2 years ago) that Catecholamines, cortisol and ACTH be tested.

Thyroid hormones also play a crucial role.

Last edited:

SWAlexander

Cortisol on Circadian Rhythm and Its Effect on Cardiovascular System​

Abstract

The synthesis and secretion of cortisol are controlled by the hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal axis. Cortisol exhibits a proper 24-h circadian rhythm that affects the brain, the autonomic nervous system, the heart, and the vasculature that prepares the cardiovascular system for optimal function during these anticipated behavioral cycles. A literature search was conducted using databases such as Google Scholar, PubMed, and Scopus. Relevant search terms included “circadian rhythm and cardiovascular”, “cortisol”, “cortisol and acute coronary syndrome”, “cortisol and arrhythmias”, “cortisol and sudden cardiac death”, “cortisol and stroke”, and “cardioprotective agents”. A total of 120 articles were obtained on the basis of the above search. Lower levels of cortisol were seen at the beginning of sleep, while there was a rise towards the end of sleep, with the highest level reached at the moment the individual wakes up. In the present review, we discuss the role of 11β-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (11β-HSD1), which is a novel molecular target of interest for treating metabolic syndrome and type-2 diabetes mellitus. 11β-HSD1 is the major determinant of cortisol excess, and its inhibition alleviates metabolic abnormalities. The present review highlights the role of cortisol, which controls the circadian rhythm, and describes its effect on the cardiovascular system. The review provides a platform for future potential cardioprotective therapeutic agents.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7830980/

lyran

I think hormonal imbalance is in most cases a downstream effect. Fixing it doesn't cure the disease. I also had low cortisol and I can still get adrenal crisis if I overexert myself so I need to have hydrocortisone available.

Wonkmonk

Any thoughts on extending this to MECFS? Should be similar.
I strongly suspect that many cases of CFS/ME was "Long Covid" caused by the old endemic coronaviruses. I suspect my own illness to have that cause. It appeared after an infection in the summer, which might very well have been a coronavirus, which does not have a pronounced seasonal pattern like the flu.

SWAlexander

hormonal imbalance is in most cases a downstream effect
Yes it has. The question is open what comes first, hormonal imbalance or...
In a routine control, I was diagnosed with low cortisol in February 1979 with no other symptoms according to blood tests and physical exams.
In Jan. 1980 Cervical dysplasia 4 (a precancerous abnormal cells grow on the surface of the cervix) was diagnosed by the same clinician who examined me a year earlier.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I've been tested 3-4 times for low cortisol (once for ACTH too). I don't have any issues with my cortisol levels. Yeah my cortisol dips slightly under the line in the afternoon and is slightly above the line in the morning but it looks just like the normal chart for someone my age.

I think I also did a 24-hour cortisol test once.

I think at least in my experience, that endocrine things are one of the first thing doctors will check when we describe symptoms such as ours.

Also my environmental doctor believed in adrenal fatigue.

I agree with the other poster. It must be down stream for some ME patients.