• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Depression and epilepsy: a shared pathophysiology", 2022

pattismith

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8863389/

Comorbidity of Epilepsy and Depression: Associated Pathophysiology and Management​

Epilepsy of the temporal lobe (also known as temporal lobe epilepsy, or TLE) is a useful biological model for understanding the anatomical similarities between depression and epilepsy.

TLE and clinical depression may be linked to an increase in hippocampus interleukin-1beta (IL-1beta) signaling as suggested by Mazarati et al. that increased IL-1B causes dysregulation in the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenocortical axis (HPA) [21,22].

This dysregulation impaired raphe-hippocampal serotonergic transmission and led to depressive symptoms.

Additionally, the purpose of this study by Mazarati was to determine if pharmacological inhibition of the hippocampus interleukin-1 receptor had antidepressant effects in an animal model of TLE and depression that occurred in Wistar rats following pilocarpine status epilepticus (SE) [21].

Bilateral intrahippocampal infusions of human recombinant Interleukin-1 receptor antagonist (IL-1ra) for two weeks alleviated all depression symptoms in naive rats without changing spontaneous seizure frequency or normal parameters.

These findings link hippocampus IL-1beta in epilepsy-associated depression and support the use of IL-1beta antagonists in TLE treatment [21]........

lenora

Hello......I have two separate types of epilepsy and have different meds for each. I should mention that I'm going on 77 yrs. of age and female.

It's known in medical circles that apparently we become more prone to seizures as we age. I was fortunate in that both of my types of epilepsy were witnessed by doctors in the ER. I can't confirm that the seizures preceded Autoimmune Encephalitis (which I also had about the same, but I don't want to return to that world. Nothing was really known about it say 4 years ago, a lot more today.....but nothing really concrete.

Am I depressed? No, I wouldn't say so.....and I do know what a bad bout of depression is all about. I'm on Lexapro and I'm sure that helps stave it off. Really, it's just one thing after the other since I turned 70 - but the two types of epilepsies did have me wondering. I'd had blackouts, broken bones....things of that nature.

I haven't driven since I was diagnosed and even sold my car. We live in a city, so Uber helps. Not that I go out to speak of.

Interestingly enough approximately 45 years or more ago, I was diagnosed with a pituitary tumor. It did go away on its own with use of the drug Bromocriptine. I've not been troubled for years.

Thanks for the info, Patti. Yours, Lenora