• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dealing with back pain from CFS

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @overtheedge no one mentioned a heating pad, so I will. My heating pad is my best friend. It lives on my back, even if it's hot out. Heat on my back takes care of a lot of my issues.

Hip

@Hip, don't you fear that the Aspirin and Paracetamol toxicity over mitochondria could have harmful effect on some of us?

Myself I would not be that concerned; these drugs are only considered potentially toxic to the mitochondria; if you look at this list of drugs linked to mitochondrial toxicity, it is only the drugs colored in red in that list that have proven mitochondrial toxicity. And even then, these drugs may only be of concern to people with genetic mitochondrial diseases.

I would be more concerned with the stomach ulcer risk that long term NSAIDs can cause; if I were taking an NSAID long term, I might crush to the tablet into fine power and apply transdermally with a few drops of water. That I think should help prevent ulcers.

perchance dreamer

My doctor of physical medicine discourages the regular use of NSAIDs because he says that long term they will damage soft tissue.

It's a tough one, though. I wish I could take them regularly for pain because every other traditional pain reliever is either not effective or makes me feel so bad mentally that it's not worth it. I miss Darvocette because taken at night it helped with pain and gave me zero next-day sedation.

perchance dreamer

Around 4 years ago I did 7 or 8 cryotherapy sessions, and they did relieve my back pain quite a bit, but gave me really bad insomnia even though I did them in the morning. I think the sessions overstimulated my sympathetic nervous system, which affected my sleep.

I wish I could have continued them because they gave me a nice energy boost in addition to some pain relief. Many people report better sleep after the sessions, however.

perchance dreamer

@PatJ, I've been using Neurobiologix PEA Soothe. My doctor, Kendal Stewart, formulated it, and he gave me some samples.

The reason he gave me samples is that I mentioned that although I've gotten rid of almost all my IBS with diet and supplements, I still had a trace left. PEA helps with IBS, and I do have to say that my IBS is entirely gone now although I might always have to take supps. and avoid dairy (sucky, sucky, sucky!!!).

At first the PEA did help with my back pain and also helped a little with sleep, but I don't think the effect has lasted with continued use. I'll see if those effects come back once the PEA Soothe is back in stock. It's been really popular and is on back order.

perchance dreamer

Thanks, @PatJ, but when I put the bottle in the cart, there was the message they are out of stock. I will ask my doctor's office for some more samples.