• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Confused about 23andme results and methylation

alex3619

The debate on this issue of NADH, NAD etc is raging in several threads on PR, mostly threads started by Radio, but there are some good points there. Its also a case that the argument so far mostly consists of throwing up reams of possibly relevant information and saying there must be something there. Its a model, not yet shown to be substantially important for most patients, but interesting. There is no doubt some will benefit from the approach though, the question is who, in what doses of what supplements, under what conditions, and what are the long term issues? As always my mantra applies: we need more research.

NAD and alpha lipoic acid seem to be the key players, but other supplements may vary patient by patient. NADH by itself is likely to be toxic, and NAD is rapidly destroyed and needs to be recycled from NADH, so alpha lipoic acid is essential. However there is some concern by some researchers this can mobilize too much mercury, and that mercury can cross the blood brain barrier.

One of the hypotheses that Sarah Myhill put forward in her mitochondrial investigation was as the ATP dwindles we can start cannibalizing the AMP (or ADP?) for energy as an emergency pathway (iirc), but synthesizing more takes a lot of time and the mitochondria will be in crisis until that happens. This is one of her hypotheses about PEM. If ATP is in very short supply after excessive activity then it will set off a chain reaction of consequences.

We know that iodine is needed for thyroid hormone, but proper thyroid functioning also requires selenium and a great many other factors. As nearly always when hormonal issues are involved, there are nutritional factors that should possibly be considered.

On T4 affecting biochemical processes, I have not investigated this. However the body has many enzymes that require cofactors, and their presence or lack can affect various pathways. This is part of how the body creates complex webs of reactions needed for biochemical homeostasis (or chemical balance). If something is out of whack there might not actually be a problem with that thing, but with something else that influences another thing, then another, which then causes the problem with the first thing.

So much of what we see in ME and CFS appear to be secondary or tertiary effects. We need to understand the core mechanisms. We are not there yet. However many different lines of investigation now seem to be merging. Give it a few years and a more complete model may emerge.

Critterina

Hi Criterina,

AdoCbl, MeCbl, l-methylfolate and LCF (or ALCAR, person dependent) deficiencies can severely affect sex hormones, cause reproductive failure, affect sexual response. ...

As a well working methylation and ATP generation system are critical to the production of hormones from cholesterol the effect can be prompt. If it has been sustained for a long time response appears much more variable. Pregnenolone is one step up the chain from cholesterol and is helpful for many. DHEA can help as well but is more specific to the sex hormones. I take both as well as getting supplemental testosterone prescribed and am tested regularly.

Thyroid hormone is important as well. It is a very interactive system.
Thanks, Freddd, but I have been taking all those supplements for a year now. Or at least I've used the carnitine fumarate; maybe I should try the ALCAR. But remember, I am not an ME/CFS patient.

I have failed an ACTH stimulation test. The Merck Manual, The Lancet, and the Annals of Medicine all discuss interpretation of these test results, and all agree that my test results were a "fail". I just need a doctor to acknowledge it and treat me. My endo said my response was "normal".

I have a deep understanding of the pregnenelone, hydroxypregnenelone, progesterone, cortisol, DHEA, testosterone and estrogen pathways. I also know that my lab results showed that in the hormones that were detectable, I was either half of low normal or low normal. The rest were not detectable. I also use thyroid, pregnenelone, progesterone, and DHEA, but you can live without those. You can't live without cortisol.

I started on 2.5 mg prednisone at breakfast and lunch three days ago and I feel like a new person. It has improved my energy, stopped my insomnia, stopped my hypoglycemia, stopped my nausea, stopped my back pain, improved my mood, and stopped my lightheadedness that occurred any time there was a conflict at work. This was an experiment, and I consider it a huge success. My Rx was for 60 mg/day for 5 days, for histamine intolerance, although we didn't understand at the time what was causing my breathing issues.

Please don't tell me again that my symptoms are from deadlock quartet deficiencies. Thank you.

alex3619

Going back to air hunger in an earlier post, might it be from damage to the vagus nerve, sending a signal to the brain you are suffocating?

I very occasionally get air hunger. Lying down does not make it go away. Given the latest data on reactivation of EBV and a characteristic failure of our immune systems to fight EBV, the viral infection of the vagus nerve is looking even more promising. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...patients-with-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.27634/